Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas has room to grow, the southern parts of Dallas is kinda rural.

They will never say Fort Worth Metroplex.
Room to grow is one thing, attracting growth is another. You know where all the happenings is at in The Metroplex. Its all about west of the Trinity baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
unfortunately, yes. austin is nice. san antonio is tolerable. dallas is has its merits. still waiting to find something positive about houston. i really don't mean to be a troll, i just saw the subject and felt compelled to chime in. i can appreciate that everyone has different taste in where they live, which is fine. houston just isn't my bag.
Wells lets see...Houston hmm...most diverse city in the South & Texas, largest medical center in the world, 2nd largest theater district after NYC, largest upscale mall in Texas, #1 foreign shipping port in the nation #2 over all, the Gulf of Mexico at your beck & call...the list goes on & on.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
unfortunately, yes. austin is nice. san antonio is tolerable. dallas is has its merits. still waiting to find something positive about houston. i really don't mean to be a troll, i just saw the subject and felt compelled to chime in. i can appreciate that everyone has different taste in where they live, which is fine. houston just isn't my bag.
Didn't you gripe about Houston traffic earlier, yet you think Austin is nice? Austin has some horrible traffic from it's inadequate freeway system. The city was poorly designed, unlike Houston, San Antonio, and DFW's systems (in order).

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
People usually skip South Dallas altogether for newer developing suburbs like Cedar Hill, Desoto, & Lancaster. Most of the better off Blacks have moved from Oak Cliff to those areas over the past 10 years.
Some parts of South Dallas shouldn't have never been developed. Rochester Park area of South Dallas is located in the Trinity River flood plain. This area was developed in the 50s for blacks during segregation. The City knew the houses was built in the flood plain. This area had 3 major floods 1989, 1990, and 1991. In the 90s the city built a levee to protect the area from floods.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Ha, Philly's saving grace is that it is being propped up by NY and DC.

Without them it would be going the way of Detroit, Baltimore, Buffalo

Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
People usually skip South Dallas altogether for newer developing suburbs like Cedar Hill, Desoto, & Lancaster.
The Metro area is gonna be like Houston metro soon. FW will be the big city in the center with suburbs all around. Dallas is gonna be one of them

Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Room to grow is one thing, attracting growth is another. You know where all the happenings is at in The Metroplex. Its all about west of the Trinity baby.
I can't even say nothing, you got me.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The Metro area is gonna be like Houston metro soon. FW will be the big city in the center with suburbs all around. Dallas is gonna be one of them
If you say so.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post

Traffic is already bad, makes me literally want to park my car on the freeway and walk the remainder of the way to where ever I am going. So it's okay.
Funny, because everyone in this thread is getting a chubby at the thought of having 10-20 million people without the implications on quality of life. That's why I say "here, have a few million" Once you guys reach 10-15 million, then you'll see exactly what I mean.

I just WISHED California's population was actually declining. Maybe it will wake our public officials up and actual get stuff done, instead of sitting on their hands doing this:

http://www.performanceboats.com/html/youBoat/data/500/head-in-the-sand.jpg (broken link)

But hey, whatever gets to you guys at the end of the day. Just remember that LA and NY both have millions of people in their MSA, and yet people still leave. Population growth isn't the be all, end all. And you can't grow forever.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM

They merged the threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City