Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SoCal or SoTex
Southern California 60 75.95%
South Texas 19 24.05%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,748 times

Advertisements

Criteria:
- Public transportation
- Food
- Education
- Recreational activities
- Natural scenery
- Population (city, MSA, CSA, etc.)
- Skyline
- Diversity (people)
- Nightlife

SoCal wikipedia:

"Southern California (SoCal) is a megaregion, or megapolitan area, in the southern area of the U.S. state of California. Though there is no official definition for the northern boundary of Southern California, most definitions in use include all the land south of the Tehachapi Mountains, located about 70 miles (113 km) north of Los Angeles.[1] Southern California is a culturally diverse and well known area worldwide. Many tourists frequent South Coast for it's popular beaches. Large urban areas include Greater Los Angeles, Greater San Diego, and the Inland Empire. The urban area stretches along the coast from Oxnard through the Southland and Inland Empire to San Diego, spilling over the border into Tijuana. Southern California is a large cultural and economic center for the State of California.
Its population encompasses a total of five metropolitan areas: Los Angeles, Riverside-San Bernardino, San Diego, Oxnard-Thousand Oaks and the El Centro area. Out of these, three are major metropolitan areas, each of which have over 3 million people; the Los Angeles area with over 12 million inhabitants, the Riverside-San Bernardino area with over 4 million inhabitants, and the San Diego area with over 3 million inhabitants. The region as a whole is practically identical in population to Texas, with more than 24.2 million people, and is the nation's most populous region behind the urban seaboard of the Northeastern United States.
To the west of Southern California lies the Pacific Ocean; to the south is the international border between the United States and Mexico; to the east are the Mojave and Colorado Deserts and the Colorado River at the state's border with Arizona and Nevada."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California

South Texas Wikipedia:

"South Texas is a region of the U.S. state of Texas that lies roughly south of, or beginning at, San Antonio. The southern and western boundary is the Rio Grande River, and to the east it is the Gulf of Mexico. The population of this region is about 3.7 million. The southern portion of this region is often referred to as the Rio Grande Valley. The eastern portion along the Gulf of Mexico is also referred to as the Coastal Bend.There is no defined northern boundary, although it is believed to be at the city of San Antonio and from an east to west line extending from the Rio Grande near Maverick County to the Gulf of Mexico, but turning southeast at or near Lavaca County, and continuing towards the Gulf of Mexico to separate it from East Texas and Southeast Texas. The Rio Grande serves as the western and southern boundaries and separates Texas from Mexico. The eastern portion of South Texas is bordered by the Gulf of Mexico."

South Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 08-10-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
I have been to Southern Texas near Harlingen. And I do not want to go there anymore, not much to do.

Anyways South Padre Island is the sole exception for me when it comes to South Texas.

I have to go with Southern California on this, big cities, great atmosphere. And San Diego & Los Angeles, no more needs to be said! I have always loved my trips to Southern California a lot!

But to be fair, the Mexican food of South Texas is great and South Padre is a lot of fun and it's beautiful. And Corpus Christi is a nice city for what it does, I have always enjoyed it. Corpus Christi & South Padre seem to be the only major population centers for Texas in this comparison. Corpus Christi being the major city involved.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM

62 posts, read 79,901 times
A terrible Comparison! If So Tex included Houston then it would be a bad comparison!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Waters View Post
A terrible Comparison! If So Tex included Houston then it would be a bad comparison!
You mean wouldn't be a bad comparison, right?

Lol because so far it doesn't include Houston.

EDIT: I voted Southern California!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I have been to Southern Texas near Harlingen. And I do not want to go there anymore, not much to do.

Anyways South Padre Island is the sole exception for me when it comes to South Texas.

I have to go with Southern California on this, big cities, great atmosphere. And San Diego & Los Angeles, no more needs to be said! I have always loved my trips to Southern California a lot!

But to be fair, the Mexican food of South Texas is great and South Padre is a lot of fun and it's beautiful.
South Padre Island is one reason is one of the best reasons to like south Texas. Nice area, but I'd go with SoCal.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Quote:

I thought he meant it would go from terrible to bad(which would mean it would be better).

Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I thought he meant it would go from terrible to bad(which would mean it would be better).
I'm going to wait for him to respond. But I think he meant to say "wouldn't" instead of "would".

Logically, I don't know anyone who who word it that way if they wanted to make a comparison worse. I think it was a typo mostly though. But he'll be the one to tell.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,748 times
Quote:

EDIT: I voted Southern California!
it does now

Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times
Quote:

But to be fair, the Mexican food of South Texas is great and South Padre is a lot of fun and it's beautiful. And Corpus Christi is a nice city for what it does, I have always enjoyed it. Corpus Christi & South Padre seem to be the only major population centers for Texas in this comparison. Corpus Christi being the major city involved.

There's San Antonio it's considered South Texas

Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
San Antonio it's considered South Texas
Oh shoot I just saw his map, yeah you're right. That's the largest city in the comparison for Southern Texas.

So it's San Antonio, Corpus Christi, & South Padre VS Los Angeles & San Diego.
Southern California still has an edge though on majority of the given criteria. But South Texas has some really nice stuff going for it too. South Padre, San Antonio, & Corpus Christi. Good variety of cultural cuisines.

But Southern California is far more developed and has more to do due to the cities at hand. Los Angeles & San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City