Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM

200 posts, read 295,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
SF has a fantastic house scene.

SF house Dj's: Mark Farina, Miguel Migs, The Wicked Crew, Gabriel & Dresden, Dub Tribe Soundsystem, Jon Howard to name a few.
I was surprised it got until the 3rd page for someone to mention San Francisco as a hotbed for House. I love me some west coast house, particularly Miguel Migs. I also like a lot of OM records stuff, even when Kaskade was spinning house for them. Now, he has moved onto Prog House and Trance. Kinda unfortunate, miss his old stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
please inform us if this is really HOUSE or Techno-House?
Well, first thing we have to set straight is that this isn't the 90's anymore, so there is no traditional house sound unles your playing a vintage set. House is now a broad term for a conglomeration of many different genres and styles, a contiuum ranging from tribal house, vocal, tech-house, electro, fidget, progressive, etc. and a mish-mash of in betweens where these different sounds come together. Even some trance teeters on the edge of being house. So for that fact just about any city that has many venues that play electronic music will be playing some forms of house, unless they strictly play dubstep/grime/drum and bass etc.

As far as Dallas goes, there are many places you'll hear "house" i.e. any of the aforementioned genres listed. Some of these places are:

Lizard Lounge
Fallout Lounge
Slip Inn
Insomnia
Afterlife
PM Lounge (there are alot of lounges haha)

So yeah, Dallas has a decent scene. Not as good as I'd like it to be and nowhere near the level of pretty much any places in Europe, but that's changing.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Well, first thing we have to set straight is that this isn't the 90's anymore, so there is no traditional house sound unles your playing a vintage set. House is now a broad term for a conglomeration of many different genres and styles, a contiuum ranging from tribal house, vocal, tech-house, electro, fidget, progressive, etc. and a mish-mash of in betweens where these different sounds come together. Even some trance teeters on the edge of being house. So for that fact just about any city that has many venues that play electronic music will be playing some forms of house, unless they strictly play dubstep/grime/drum and bass etc.

As far as Dallas goes, there are many places you'll hear "house" i.e. any of the aforementioned genres listed. Some of these places are:

Lizard Lounge
Fallout Lounge
Slip Inn
Insomnia
Afterlife

So yeah, Dallas has a decent scene. Not as good as I'd like it to be and nowhere near the level of pretty much any places in Europe, but that's changing.
You're forgetting several others...

Zubar

Ghostbar on top of the W Hotel (sometimes)

Purgatory

Plush

Minc

Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You're forgetting several others...
Oh I know, I just didn't feel like going off into the deep end defending my city (although looks like I'm moving into that territory now hehe). It's just funny to me when people just CAN'T believe that a city or place is known for X thing. Like Iowa being a more gay friendly state. I guess since Dallas is in backward, good ol' boy Texas, it can't have anything but rednecks and country music. Well, some people may be surprised. Shoot, Dallas is the city that started the whole taking ecstasy at clubs scene.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Oh I know, I just didn't feel like going off into the deep end defending my city (although looks like I'm moving into that territory now hehe). It's just funny to me when people just CAN'T believe that a city or place is known for X thing. Like Iowa being a more gay friendly state. I guess since Dallas is in backward, good ol' boy Texas, it can't have anything but rednecks and country music. Well, some people may be surprised. Shoot, Dallas is the city that started the whole taking ecstasy at clubs scene.
No. I lived in Texas.Not too far from Dallas about 8 years ago.I know things have changed but I have been back since then.I asked that question because people say its really big there but I only wind up hearing the same old stuff that sounds more liken to Techno than any pure house genres.I knew Dallas is big in Electronic,Tecno but I just never hear much about HOUSE.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
I've never heard House music associated with neither Dallas nor Atlanta. I hear Dallas is big in the techno scene. Anyways for House; these are the cities I hear about the most:

1. Chicago
2. Baltimore
3. Miami
4. NYC

Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM

231 posts, read 640,172 times
San Diego has turned quite electronic in the recent years, I have a handful of friends involved in the music scene around here...to quote one upcoming dj "San Diego has the fastest growing electronic scene in the country currently."

I have been able to see lots of good names roll through here the past two years let alone our own local djs.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
In the USA Chicago stands out.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never heard House music associated with neither Dallas nor Atlanta. I hear Dallas is big in the techno scene. Anyways for House; these are the cities I hear about the most:

1. Chicago
2. Baltimore
3. Miami
4. NYC
"Techno" is such a jurassic term & is used by people not in on the Electronic Dance Music scene to describe a whole slew of separate genres.

Yes, Dallas is big on House Music & has been since the late 80's-early 90's when Raves first made their wave in the US.

Now Detroit, that's a pure Techno city. Detroit Techno was HUGE in the 80's-90's & was patterned after Chicago's House Music.

Dallas has spawned House Music artists like Demarkus Lewis & Brett Johnson who tour the world now. Other lesser known local legends like Jeff K, Techno Tony, Rob Vaughn, Funk W, Kid Icarus, Raydar & Shaolin, Dj Love, Dj Merritt, & Dj Redeye are also note worthy.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:

Lizard Lounge
Fallout Lounge
Slip Inn
Insomnia
Afterlife

The music in Red is what I am referring to as House.For example these are HOUSE D.J.s

Marcus Wyatt
Quentin Harris
Frankie Knuckles
Carl Cox
JoJo Flores
or compilation albums like:
Nude Dimensions/Naked Music,
Blue Six,
Hed Kandi,
Strickly Rythymn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City