Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

well.....what about the Northside? Pretty segregated and not all that different than many other midwestern "ghettos". Used to have lots of projects before they were torn down, racial tension, riots, white flight, etc. etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:15 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
False. Minnesota is 4.4% black (as of 2000), and the state has seen the largest increase of African-Americans of any non-Southern state in the past ten years.
Wow.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
What is significant, seriously, I want to know? 250K, 500K, 1 million+??? I realize it's not that black but it's all concentrated in a very small area and if you live near these areas you could be in Atlanta for all you know.
It all depends on the overall population. A state of over 5 million and having a black population of about 270,000 or whatever it is; isn't that large imo and on top of that; the majority is located in one metropolitan area. Atlanta by far has the largest black population in Georgia, but you also have many thriving black communities scattered around the state with a decent sized black population.

I'm not saying MN isn't diverse, but what I'm saying is don't speak on tolerance when comparing MN to GA because the racial tolerance between an asian and a white on average is completely different from the tolerance between a black and a white.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Tolerance is something I don't personally deal with, but other minorities do/have to. I'm pretty open and friendly to whomever so I've never had an issue with "tolerating" somebody because they are different than me, but a lot of people do and obviously it gets more intense the more people integrate with one another. I know there is a lot more anti-Somali sentiment here than I use to remember and some people are anti-thug (which basically means anti-African American from Chicago or Detroit). Some suburbs here just became minority-majority and those places are seeing most of the racial tension.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM

23 posts, read 34,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Minnesota is very diverse. Even my somewhat small town has blacks, East Asians, South Asians, Somalis, Sudanese and Native Americans in addition to the white population. The Twin Cities area is even more diverse. Many small towns throughout the state have at least one black or Hispanic resident. It's not all white.

Minnesota does have an African american, Hispanic , Asian population etc. But it is very little. Living in a suburb right out side of Minneapolis i can say that is mostly white. There is even less diversity once you venture outside of the cities into the rural areas. The diversity in Minnesota does not compare to the diversity in Georgia and other states not even close.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Also, I don't know about Georgia but most of the racial tension stems from older white people who aren't use to tolerance. People 40 and under generally are more tolerant.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaaa View Post
Minnesota does have an African american, Hispanic , Asian population etc. But it is very little. Living in a suburb right out side of Minneapolis i can say that is mostly white. There is even less diversity once you venture outside of the cities into the rural areas. The diversity in Minnesota does not compare to the diversity in Georgia and other states not even close.
Still, we didn't have illegal slavery and no Northern states did. It's not much different than say Ohio but instead we aren't purlely black or white, we're more black, white, asian and hispanic.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Still, we didn't have illegal slavery and no Northern states did. It's not much different than say Ohio but instead we aren't purlely black or white, we're more black, white, asian and hispanic.
Minnesota didn't have slavery, but the "North" most certainly did. You might want to go check history Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Wow, how big of an impact did that have on the AA population? Not very significant, especially in the Midwest, which is the point. All of the non-white population that is not American Indian is because of QOL and/or the job market, which has always been strong here. But it has just recently become more of a destination for international immigration and emmigration between U.S. cities....it is just starting to get noticed, so we haven't had much exposure to this kind of growth in the past and the non-white population takes time to grow.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Wow, how big of an impact did that have on the AA population? Not very significant, especially in the Midwest, which is the point. All of the non-white population that is not American Indian is because of QOL and/or the job market, which has always been strong here. But it has just recently become more of a destination for international immigration and emmigration between U.S. cities....it is just starting to get noticed, so we haven't had much exposure to this kind of growth in the past and the non-white population takes time to grow.
Not sure I'm following you here.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM

The North and Minnesota especially didn't force African Americans to live there, instead it was mostly voluntary, which can't be said for the South. So when you flaunt how diverse Georgia or Atlanta are you may be forgetting that your diversity was paid for, not chosen freely. If Minnesota forced blacks to the state for a couple of centuries we'd have a higher black population too -- but it's nothing to be proud of -- get it? It's just the way it is, but it may explain why a state or city such as Minneapolis may be so white compared to other states -- it doesn't border Mexico, it's not an industrial giant (think Great Migration) and it wasn't a slave state. AND it's cold. Makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City