Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Your City Still Have A Large Downtown Department Store?
YES...My city still has at least one downtown department store. 124 77.50%
NO...My city does not have a downtown department store. 31 19.38%
NOT SURE...If my city has a downtown department store. 1 0.63%
Don't Care...If my city has a downtown department store. 4 2.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 PM

90 posts, read 97,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Seattle's new City Target downtown is 3 storys and is more like a full line department store with mannequin's, and escalator's. Seattle still has the largest Nordstrom in the world and a Macy's downtown also. I Love having a midpriced option downtown.
I believe the Nordstrom opening in downtown Vancouver this Fall will be larger than the Seattle store though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 10:54 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vincent View Post
I believe the Nordstrom opening in downtown Vancouver this Fall will be larger than the Seattle store though.
The new store in Vancouver will be about half the size of the Seattle store. There only using part pf the building the basement is being leased out to other retailers and the upper floors are being convereted to office space.

Last edited by ironcouger; 04-07-2013 at 11:04 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Seattle's new City Target downtown is 3 storys and is more like a full line department store with mannequin's, and escalator's. Seattle still has the largest Nordstrom in the world and a Macy's downtown also. I Love having a midpriced option downtown.
Weird our City Target is almost an exact replica of any other Target, just without some of the big items that are only practical for more suburban living.

Anyways Los Angeles has a Macy's downtown, but that is it. Ross just opened up in a former Woolworth's store on Broadway, not really a department store but a big step for Broadway's retail.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I remember when I was growing up that most cities had at least one large center city department store. I lived near Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA.....The former had two 6 level stores downtown. Wilkes-Barre also had two downtown department stores of 6 levels; but miraculously one large store is still doing business: Boscov's.

Scranton does have a downtown mall containing a department store but it's not the same as a free standing, large, multi-level store like Boscov's. I recall when Gimbel's had a store downtown(Scranton)....smaller but similar to New York City's: Macys.

Before the race to the suburbs and outlying malls...it seemed most cities had these stores. So I wonder how many are left??? Boscovs sold 1.1 Billion dollars of merchandise last year and still operates 40 stores in the Northeast; also it has the one downtown store in Wilkes-Barre and one in Binghampton, NY.

SO....Does your city still have a center city department store? .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boscov's

The Christmas List of Surviving U.S. Downtown Department Stores

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scranton, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A lot of larger cities still do. Are we talking detached stores, not connected to a shopping mall?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Downtown Indianapolis has Circle Centre Mall which is anchored by a Cason Pirie Scott department store (formerly Parisian until it was bought out). It also used to have a Nordstrom anchor until that store moved north to be closer to the affluent suburbs.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Indianapolis did not "move" it's store to the northern suburbs. It's suburban store had been up and running for some time before the downtown store closed.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Indianapolis did not "move" it's store to the northern suburbs. It's suburban store had been up and running for some time before the downtown store closed.
Ok, if you want to be technical, yes Nordstrom on the northside was open for a couple years before they closed the location downtown. But considering most of their clientele is on the north side of Indianapolis, they opened a store closer to them and soon after closed down the one further away. It might as well have been moving the store. But either way, the one in downtown Indianapolis closed.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
The new store in Vancouver will be about half the size of the Seattle store. There only using part pf the building the basement is being leased out to other retailers and the upper floors are being convereted to office space.
Yes and that Vancouver building's design is quite unremarkable.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM

The Vancouver Nordstrom is not a new building though. It's the retrofitting of an old building that has no windows above the ground floor. I've not seen a better example of a windowless building being retrofitted anywhere in the world.

And I'd take it over the SF Nordstrom any day:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nords...82.66,,0,-12.4

That looks about as nice as the Vancouver Nordstrom BEFORE adding windows on each level.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
The Vancouver Nordstrom is not a new building though. It's the retrofitting of an old building that has no windows above the ground floor. I've not seen a better example of a windowless building being retrofitted anywhere in the world.

And I'd take it over the SF Nordstrom any day:
Well, there's no accounting for good taste, no offense.

And the Vancouver store is about half the size of the SF store as well, fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City