Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Your City Still Have A Large Downtown Department Store?
YES...My city still has at least one downtown department store. 124 77.50%
NO...My city does not have a downtown department store. 31 19.38%
NOT SURE...If my city has a downtown department store. 1 0.63%
Don't Care...If my city has a downtown department store. 4 2.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM

90 posts, read 97,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Why? Do people usually cave into your cyber bullying sooner?

I never said it liked it btw, only that I prefer it to the design of the Vancouver store, which to me looks like a non descript, 1980s office building.

You are free to disagree, and guess what, your reasons are meaningless to me.

So on top of being less sensitive, also work on being less clingy-its unbecoming.

ROFLOL! I'm not being "clingy". I'm trying to get you to answer a simple question. Something you are seemingly incapable of.

WHY SPECIFICALLY DO YOU LIKE THE SF NORDSTROM MORE THAN THE VANCOUVER NORDSTROM.

This is not "cyber bullying". This is not being sensitive. This is not being "clingy" (whatever that's supposed to mean). This is being persistent. You made a statement. I'm asking you to explain your statement. You can **** and moan about "cyber bullying" (which means resorting to swearing and personal insults BTW, something I have not once resorted to with you) all you want. You can change the subject all you want. You can cry about being how there's "no accounting for tastes" all you want. I asked you a simple question. You've said you prefer the SF store. I'm asking you to explain why. Persistence is not "teh cyber bullying111!!!11!!". It's a simple question that requires a simple answer. And "I prefer it" is not an answer. Not an intelligent one anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 PM

90 posts, read 97,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm not following the argument that closely, but I'm willing to wager the Macy's in DTLA is uglier / more bunker-like than the stores in SF and Seattle.

Google Maps

I don't see anything wrong with the San Francisco Nordstrom's. It's in sort of an urban mall, which isn't great but the building itself looks pretty nice.
Don't show that picture to Montclair. He might get aroused He loves that kind of architecture.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vincent View Post
ROFLOL! I'm not being "clingy". I'm trying to get you to answer a simple question. Something you are seemingly incapable of.

WHY SPECIFICALLY DO YOU LIKE THE SF NORDSTROM MORE THAN THE VANCOUVER NORDSTROM.

This is not "cyber bullying". This is not being sensitive. This is not being "clingy" (whatever that's supposed to mean). This is being persistent. You made a statement. I'm asking you to explain your statement. You can **** and moan about "cyber bullying" (which means resorting to swearing and personal insults BTW, something I have not once resorted to with you) all you want. You can change the subject all you want. You can cry about being how there's "no accounting for tastes" all you want. I asked you a simple question. You've said you prefer the SF store. I'm asking you to explain why. Persistence is not "teh cyber bullying111!!!11!!". It's a simple question that requires a simple answer. And "I prefer it" is not an answer. Not an intelligent one anyways.
Hmm...Ive already said several times that I prefer the look.of the SF store because the Vancouver design by comparison looks like a non descript, 1980s throwback office building, and yet you keep inquiring what exactly?

Sensitive, clingy and kind of stalker-ish, oh and a bully.

Ugh.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Furthermore you were the one who said you prefer one over the other, notice how I didnt care.

lol

Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We don't even have a downtown, never mind a department store, in our sleepy little city of 50,000. Still, we are rated the friendliest in the country, even if we have to drive 15 miles to the nearest department store.

Sammamish named America's friendliest town - Blog Posts - MyNorthwest.com

Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We don't even have a downtown, never mind a department store, in our sleepy little city of 50,000. Still, we are rated the friendliest in the country, even if we have to drive 15 miles to the nearest department store.

Sammamish named America's friendliest town - Blog Posts - MyNorthwest.com
But you do have dt Bellevue and dt Seattle close by. You even have Redmond Town Center close by.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
How is that windowless bunker in SF better than the glass building they're turning the Vancouver building into? Please explain your tastes.

Let me guess, it's because you live in the "Bay Area".

Sorry, but that SF Nordstrom is probably the ugliest downtown dept. store I've ever seen. Someone should tell them about this new invention called "windows", lol. Other than the Macy's in downtown Houston (I think, maybe it's downtown Dallas I'm thinking of), I challenge you to show me pictures of an uglier downtown dept. store anywhere in the world.
That's insane, there's nothing wrong with the design of the DT Nordstrom in San Francisco.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
The Vancouver Nordstrom is not a new building though. It's the retrofitting of an old building that has no windows above the ground floor. I've not seen a better example of a windowless building being retrofitted anywhere in the world.

And I'd take it over the SF Nordstrom any day:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nords...82.66,,0,-12.4

That looks about as nice as the Vancouver Nordstrom BEFORE adding windows on each level.
I just looked up the Vancouver Nordstrom retrofit and, while I agree that it's a huge improvement over the Sears, it's not really great. Im sure it will be nice to be inside there, though. they just didnt have much to work with on the facade.

I also prefer the SF store and the SF streetscape around it, but I suppose that makes me a homer too.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
There used to be a Saks Fifth Avenue on King Street, but the company shuttered all of it's so-called "resort" locations during the recession. The space is now a Forever 21.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
D.C. has a Macy's but with the new City Center D.C. project about to open, a second department store has been mentioned. The second Phase of City Center D.C. will include a Conrad Hotel (example: Dubai Luxury Hotels & 4 Star Vacations - Conrad Dubai) which will have two floor's of retail (rumored to be Bloomingdales). Downtown D.C. is adding a ton of high end retail in City Center D.C. with a total of 295,000 square feet of retail. This will complement the new Trump Hotel coming by 2015 and the retail expected to go into that. Trump said in an interview today they are in talks with multiple store's including Gucci and Tiffany's to name a few. This should all go a long way in increasing the vitality of downtown D.C.

Trump Reveals Details About Luxury Hotel At Old Post Office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City