Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Washington DC 119 39.53%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Boston 76 25.25%
None 12 3.99%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times

Advertisements

This year's weather in Boston has been an aberration. Boston's typical winter has January temps of about 35 in the day, and about 20 at night, and about 45 inches of snow, based upon well over 100 years of data collecting. There have been some winters in the last 20 years in which the snowfall has greatly exceeded the norm, but this has been the exception rather than the norm. Buffalo is usually much snowier, and Minneapolis is much colder..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 03:29 PM

73 posts, read 117,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Current capital versus our former capital (well your ancestors former capital, I wasn't alive back then) and then our educational capital!

The criteria:
- Best Location
- Best Scenery
- Best schools (K-12)
- Best Universities (Yes I mean higher ed)
- Most diverse (by ethnicity/race)
- Best food
- Best shopping
- Best economy (by sheer size of GDP)
- Best economy (by employment opportunities)
- Best attractions
- Best parks
- Best history
- Most safe place
- Costs (I mean EVERYTHING, highs, lows, whatever)
- Best waterfront
- Best culture
- Name key industries in this Metro
- Does it influence its region, or does it get influenced itself from the region?
- Anything else you can think of that I've missed here

Anyways you don't have to follow every single criteria when answering, but at least attempt at it and try to provide reason for your choice.
Stay civil.

The criteria:
- Best Location - DC, not a fan of the Northeast save for the big cities and VT, NH, ME, upstate NY. Chesepaek Bay. Closer to good beaches (Jersey shore and Cape Cod? yuck), and vacation spots in the south. 7-8 hours to Hilton Head and Savannah/Charleston? yes, please.
- Best Scenery - DC, hard to compete with the river and monuments
- Best schools (K-12) - dont know, dont care
- Best Universities (Yes I mean higher ed) -Boston easily
- Most diverse (by ethnicity/race) - DC. No European ethnicity, but tons of latino, asian, arab, indian, african etc. Boston second.
- Best food - hmmm, tough call. I think DC will soon be the best of the bunch here, but right now I'd go with Philly
- Best shopping - Boston or DC (whats the hubbub over this KoP mall? Tysons is better)
- Best economy (by sheer size of GDP) - DC
- Best economy (by employment opportunities) - DC
- Best attractions - DC
- Best parks - DC
- Best history - Boston
- Most safe place - Boston
- Costs (I mean EVERYTHING, highs, lows, whatever) - Philly
- Best waterfront - Boston
- Best culture - DC
- Name key industries in this Metro - govt, tech, financial services
- Does it influence its region, or does it get influenced itself from the region? - it dominates from Jersey down to atlanta

Old 09-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
If I lived in SF I sure as hell wouldn't be arguing with people from "less than" areas. Get a life snob.

lol seriously? San Francisco is teh most beautiful big city in the country, by about 100 miles. bwaaaahahah. Another Philly resident getting their feelings hurt and making absurd statements? Geez. and I thought Cleveland and Buffalo were insecure! lol

Old 09-04-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I hate to say it, but it's true. Philly posters these days are so insecure and always saying how they're underrated and how people don't appreciate Philly enough.

Philly needs to find a way to market itself better and become more competitive with the widening gap between it and the 3 other NE/Mid Atlantic cities of NYC, Boston, and D.C. Philly stuck in a sort of void between a successful NE city and a rustbelt city.
lol couldnt agree more. somebody on here was actually trying to tell me that DC/VA residents were insecure about Philly. mmmmkay.

It very much does have a rustbelt vibe. very strange for an east coast city. The Detroit of the east?

Old 09-04-2015, 03:45 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlydubs View Post
lol couldnt agree more. somebody on here was actually trying to tell me that DC/VA residents were insecure about Philly. mmmmkay.

It very much does have a rustbelt vibe. very strange for an east coast city. The Detroit of the east?
Philly is post-industrial for sure, but God knows it's not "the Detroit of the east" at all.

And having a rustbelt vibe isn't at all strange for an East Coast city; the same is true of Baltimore, Camden, and Newark, and it used to be true of NYC.

Oh and DC does not dominate from Jersey to Atlanta. Not sure where you got that from.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Even NYC still has a rustbelt type of vibe, whatever that means. Plenty of impoverished/economically depressed/gritty areas (I'm assuming what you mean by rust belt) still left.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:42 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Even NYC still has a rustbelt type of vibe, whatever that means. Plenty of impoverished/economically depressed/gritty areas (I'm assuming what you mean by rust belt) still left.
You got it. There are plenty of small post-industrial cities across the Northeast, including "pristine" New England. Those who don't realize this clearly have never left the urban bubbles of Manhattan or Back Bay.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant131531
Hate to say it but its true. Philly posters these days are so insecure
No they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1311531
Philly needs to find a way to market itself better and become more competitive with the widening gap between it and the 3 other NE/Mid Atlantic cities of NYC, Boston, and D.C.
No it doesnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant131531
Philly stuck in a sort of void between a successful NE city and a rustbelt city.
It is what it is my man. Philadlephia doesnt have the benefit of the Federal Government building an ivory tower in its back yard(while racking up 20 Trillion in debt,must be nice), its not the international business/marketing/advertising/fashion/news capital of the world, and its not a cute little snobbish New England hideaway.

Its a real city handed nothing.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:13 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
and its not a cute little snobbish New England hideaway.
Excuse me?!

Old 09-04-2015, 10:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Excuse me?!
Yeah, I also thought that was too far, and I'm a Philly guy. He just played right into the "insecure, PBS" hand folks are promoting here. Boston isn't that at all.

Philly might not be NYC or D.C. even, but it's definitely on Boston's level. I'll personally argue Philly as the better city, Boston as the better region. Toss up, really. I think people often forget that Philly dominates an entire state (Delaware) and is the big kid on the block for a state of 12 million (Pennsylvania). Philly isn't as anemic as people here make it seem because they only focus on the NE coastal corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City