Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:26 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I have 19 posts in this thread before you made the asinine comment about Northern and Southern Blacks having nothing in common.
Why don't you respond to the rest of the post instead of picking one question out of two paragraphs? O...maybe because you should have realized by default what we had in common if we were both the capitals for black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Black people, no matter what city, are basically different versions of the same thing.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Black people, no matter what city, are basically different versions of the same thing.
This.

We have regional differences but we are all black at the end of the day. Now whether we prefer a southern city lifestyle vs. a northern city lifestyle is another topic.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
MDAllstar,

Could you please give a detailed and specific list of all these major differences between us southern blacks and you northern blacks.

I personally think it comes down to individuals, regardless of region. I'm from Macon, GA and I have more in common with some of my cousins in Rochester, NY and Detroit than I do with several other cousins in random South Georgia towns.

There are different accents present even within the same region, so that cant really be a north/south divider.
the accents stuff is bs. I've been told by eastcoast ppl that Detroiters sound southern, kind of like ppl from GA but not as thick. My cousins and I tease my fam in Chicago all the time for sounding like "watered down Mississippi folk" lol (all in fun of course), ppl from MD, DC, VA etc sometimes have a "southern twang" to them as well. of course our accents differ but its not that much of a difference that you couldn't easily see that many blacks coming from GA to Detroit during the great migration still had some influence on why Detroiters sound the way we do now smh

Old 01-08-2011, 03:55 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post

Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Trying to figure out where this Capital of the Black south and Capital of the Black North comes from. Never heard of that and I also disagree with it.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
If anyone's interested in the geographic breakdown of the black middle and upper classes in cities like Atlanta and DC, this tool is awesome.

The two cities seem to have layouts of black wealth that look pretty different. In Atlanta, there are large black middle and upper middle areas on the SE side of the perimeter (census tracts that are 90% black with median incomes greater than $50-60k). There are similar areas around Stone Mountain. Some of the south suburbs (like Fayette County and SW Fulton around Fairburn) have a pretty high degree of black wealth as well.

On the other side of the coin, inner city majority black areas are largely lower income, and the northern suburbs are quite bleak: to a disheartening extent, black areas are poor areas, and vice versa (although these black areas are much smaller than on the southside).

DC has a pretty amazing thing going on in Prince George's County, that Atlanta doesn't have an answer for. I won't comment on specifics for the rest of the city since I'm far less familiar, but it looks like the vast majority of DC's black wealth is concentrated in this one area.

So you have Atlanta, with several major areas of the city that are extremely black and very solidly middle class. In DC, you might have fewer areas that are black and middle class, but you have a concentration of black wealth that's off the charts in comparison to anything Atlanta has. Anyone more familiar with the two cities is free to chime in with their findings, whether you agree or disagree.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Who died and established DC as Black capital of the North and Atlanta black capital of the south??? Atlanta out of all the cities in the south; Atlanta has the largest sphere of influence, but it's not the capital. Same with DC.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
DC has more blacks than any of the other places listed, so it got my vote.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Meaning that white people should simply approve of any black behavior, as though it's justified? Since your people were discriminated against in the past, you're immune to criticism? You can do anything you want, and say anything you want? I beg to differ. Obviously, you appear to have a different standard for blacks than other groups. All groups have experienced discrimination, not only blacks.

Who cares if someone was racist. It doesn't de-legitimize the positive aspects of their lives, or indicate that they shouldn't be honored. Nearly everyone is a little racist. It doesn't make someone a bad human, or as bad as a murderer or rapist, or even a thief. It's simply the normal tribal nature of mankind. The same tribal nature that you, yourself are exhibiting in your comment above.
Actually Racism is a form of thievery, for a long time, it stole the civil rights guaranteed all citizens by the bill of rights. It stole the right for black children to receive a good education or proper health care and it stole the self-respect for millions who had to endure under that system until our civilization finally evolved enough to insist that all people be treated fairly. The civil rights leaders of the 60's were brave, intelligent, and compassionate human beings who literally risked their lives for their beliefs. The racists cried "Dang, it was good enough for my grandaddy!!! Why can't things stay the same?" The bigots and racists don't seem to understand that the only real constant, is change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City