Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
No. There are a few small metros in the South that are majority black. Albany, as stated, is one, if only barely majority black.

Why the need, then, to call it a "capital"? Why not simply say, "what city or region of the country is the best for blacks, or where blacks are the most well-off"? To me, as a lifelong white metro Atlantan, I do not like hearing my hometown referred to as a black mecca of any type, as it doesn't accurately describe the region, but merely only a subsection of it. Why don't we call Atlanta the "white mecca" of the South? Of course, you'd probably disapprove of that.

No, what actually happened, is that redlining and blockbusting, which brought low-income blacks into middle income white neighborhoods chased much of the middle class white population out of Atlanta in the late 60s and early 70s. Only now have some returned, but these are generally upper middle class to wealthy. When white flight occurred, only the wealthy white areas of the city of Atlanta, minus a few communities, remained. Hence, very few white Atlantans are going to live below the poverty line. It has nothing to do with a diverse city making people wealthier, as the areas that white Atlantans live in aren't diverse, but are largely white. Furthermore, look around metro Atlanta and notice how the more diverse suburban areas are generally only lower-middle to middle class, whereas those that are generally white are middle to upper middle class.

Why do blacks do well in Atlanta? The public sector. When the city is controlled by blacks, they employ their own, more than they do others. Many of these jobs pay well. A large percentage of contracts with the city are also awarded to black-owned firms.

Thirdly, of course a large black population, coupled with a black-controlled city, along with the black college center plays a role. Overall, however, a black controlled city, along with the black college center, is most responsible for bringing about a wealthier black population than most cities. The same can be said for DC. Since blacks recognize this, they flock to these areas, many of them more educated than your average black.

All of this said, there are a lot of poor blacks on the city's south and west sides, as well as the immediate southern suburbs.

They have:

1) Black controlled City (who hire their own, with lucrative salaries, and who dole out contracts to black-owned firms)

2) Black college center ( which tend to attract a more educated black population).

It's not debateable at all. It is what it is: discrimination against whites.

I get tired of people like you, as well as the national media, overshadowing the whites of this region, as though we don't exist. As though this metro is wall to wall black population, and that is simply not the case. In fact, in today's time, I don't experience much of any black presence, and I prefer that, and you're telling me that my experiences are not real? That all Atlanta is are black people? That white Atlanta is a mirage? That's what the public hears about Atlanta, nationally speaking, since some point in the mid to late 90s, and I'm about tired of it.
Just seems like you getting a taste of what black have dealt with in this country since they where forced over here. Even with that said White wealth in Atlanta far exceeds black wealth in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm not fooling with Stars&StripesForever, aka ScraperEnthusiast. He's proven himself to be a neo-Nazi under his old screenname, so there's nothing worth debating with him now.

But I will say that this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard:

I get tired of people like you, as well as the national media, overshadowing the whites of this region, as though we don't exist. As though this metro is wall to wall black population, and that is simply not the case. In fact, in today's time, I don't experience much of any black presence, and I prefer that, and you're telling me that my experiences are not real? That all Atlanta is are black people? That white Atlanta is a mirage? That's what the public hears about Atlanta, nationally speaking, since some point in the mid to late 90s, and I'm about tired of it.

That's like saying that because Los Angeles is regarded as the motion picture capital of the world that other industries don't exist there. Only an idiot would say such a thing.

Stars&StripesForever is quite the character isn't she?

I learned to ignore her a long time ago.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Johnnie Taylor and ZZ Hill come to mind when it comes to blues legends in Dallas. Blues was still pretty big in DFW, East Texas, Ark, and northern Louisanna well into the 80's and 90's. I may be young but I grew up to songs like These last two dollars, Cheatin in the next room, and Down Home Blues. "Yes" Ms. Betty Wright was doing her thang down in South Florida with Clean up Woman and No pain No gain.... Just my 2 cent....We miss Johnnie Taylor a lot in DFW it hasn't been the same since he died. It took a lot of life out the old schoolers down this way.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Johnnie Taylor and ZZ Hill come to mind when it comes to blues legends in Dallas. Blues was still pretty big in DFW, East Texas, Ark, and northern Louisanna well into the 80's and 90's. I may be young but I grew up to songs like These last two dollars, Cheatin in the next room, and Down Home Blues. "Yes" Ms. Betty Wright was doing her thang down in South Florida with Clean up Woman and No pain No gain.... Just my 2 cent....We miss Johnnie Taylor a lot in DFW it hasn't been the same since he died. It took a lot of life out the old schoolers down this way.
The songs you mention remind of the commercial advertising this project that I used to see on TV when I was younger.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The songs you mention remind of the commercial advertising this project that I used to see on TV when I was younger.
Man that is "vintage" many of those greats have passed on and BET did nothing to honor them.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Stars&Stripes, I really understand what you are saying. You're saying why should Atlanta be aproclaimed "The Black Capital" when it's black population is much smaller than the white population. Based on some many peoples' opinions, a black capital can be anything a person wants it be defined. That's why I say there's no Black Capital. Got that! HOWEVER, as a black person, your comments were a little crazy. Anyway, try not to sound offensive because you really are sounding that way to us.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Stars and Stripes. Quit your whining and complaining. White people have damn near control of everything in this country. Hell, we still print racists like Andrew Jackson and Abe Lincoln (oh yes, he was racist. Study up on his debates with Stephen Douglas) on our money. If black people want to call something a "mecca" then that's our business. After all the crap blacks have put up with and the docile reaction we have given to it, white people should never complain about a thing we do.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:01 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Stars and Stripes. Quit your whining and complaining. White people have damn near control of everything in this country. Hell, we still print racists like Andrew Jackson and Abe Lincoln (oh yes, he was racist. Study up on his debates with Stephen Douglas) on our money. If black people want to call something a "mecca" then that's our business. After all the crap blacks have put up with and the docile reaction we have given to it, white people should never complain about a thing we do.
Meaning that white people should simply approve of any black behavior, as though it's justified? Since your people were discriminated against in the past, you're immune to criticism? You can do anything you want, and say anything you want? I beg to differ. Obviously, you appear to have a different standard for blacks than other groups. All groups have experienced discrimination, not only blacks.

Who cares if someone was racist. It doesn't de-legitimize the positive aspects of their lives, or indicate that they shouldn't be honored. Nearly everyone is a little racist. It doesn't make someone a bad human, or as bad as a murderer or rapist, or even a thief. It's simply the normal tribal nature of mankind. The same tribal nature that you, yourself are exhibiting in your comment above.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Meaning that white people should simply approve of any black behavior, as though it's justified? Since your people were discriminated against in the past, you're immune to criticism? You can do anything you want, and say anything you want? I beg to differ. Obviously, you appear to have a different standard for blacks than other groups. All groups have experienced discrimination, not only blacks.

Who cares if someone was racist. It doesn't de-legitimize the positive aspects of their lives, or indicate that they shouldn't be honored. Nearly everyone is a little racist. It doesn't make someone a bad human, or as bad as a murderer or rapist, or even a thief. It's simply the normal tribal nature of mankind. The same tribal nature that you, yourself are exhibiting in your comment above.
I honestly don't care if whites "approve" black behavior or not. I don't feel like we need your approval for what our community as a whole is doing right now. Just because you consider yourselves to be the moral authority of the world doesn't mean everybody does. But I've gotten off topic...

So refering to a city as a black mecca is something that should draw criticism? Hardly. And yes, all groups have been discriminated against. But blacks were the only ones that were brought here as slaves, point blank.

I'll be the first to tell you that I do have a different standard for blacks. So what? We're not killing anybody, and we certainly are not doing anything to ruin the quality of life for white America. When we start doing that, then feel free to criticize us. But until then, unless you plan to get your hands dirty and come into the black community and and help with whatever problems it may have, please keep your lips shut.

BTW, are you saying the men on the money that I am referring to are immune to criticism? You wagged your finger at me for that in your first paragraph.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:31 PM

133 posts, read 412,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkin View Post
in 2010, DC is more diverse, much more diverse. I wouldn't even call it chocolate city anymore because of the shifting of its demographics. in 2000 DC was over 60% black, now its about 52%. The white population is steadily rising.

Prince George's county, MD is the most afluent county in America with an African American majority. PG's AA population continues to rise as gentrification is forcing out lower income DC residents. Also you get more for your money in PG county anyways.
Aight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City