Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are more alike
LA and Houston 139 45.28%
LA and Miami 168 54.72%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times

Advertisements

Florida's unemployment rate is 7.1%, Texas is 6.5%, and California is 8.7%... Texas also does have a really high birth rate. Compared to more educated states... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 PM

63 posts, read 132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The difference is Houston & LA have iconic skylines/architecture & they're both among the top 4 largest US cities.

Nobody pays no mind to Cleveland or Charlotte when the topic of big city skylines are brought up. They're not even on the radar. Why, because its just not a subject worth talking about unless you live there.

Hell I was at the top of Rockafellar Center in NYC one time when I over heard a random conversation between two complete strangers about how Houston has one of the most impressive US skylines. You wouldn't hear Cleveland or Charlotte mentioned because they're not on that level.

Houston has the 3rd tallest US skyline only to Chicago.
Gotta throw the BS flag on that one............

Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 PM

507 posts, read 806,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien_Rod View Post
Gotta throw the BS flag on that one............
Glad I wasn't the only one who caught that LOL

Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
The difference is Houston & LA have iconic skylines/architecture & they're both among the top 4 largest US cities.

Nobody pays no mind to Cleveland or Charlotte when the topic of big city skylines are brought up. They're not even on the radar. Why, because its just not a subject worth talking about unless you live there.

Hell I was at the top of Rockafellar Center in NYC one time when I over heard a random conversation between two complete strangers about how Houston has one of the most impressive US skylines. You wouldn't hear Cleveland or Charlotte mentioned because they're not on that level.

Houston has the 3rd tallest US skyline only to Chicago.
What is your source for that opinion?

An anecdote made by two tourists?

I regularly check both SkyscraperCity - Powered by vBulletin and SkyscraperPage.com and no where does Houston's skyline rank that high. In fact Miami usually beats out Houston. Even San Francisco, Atlanta, and Philly sometimes rank higher than Houston, although Houston can boast one "supertall" (over 1000 foot skyscraper.)

Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
There's nothing iconic about Houston's skyline; it's just big as hell. The only respect in which LA's might be called iconic is because it's in so many movies, but other than that? Not really.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:02 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
And then there is density. Miami is the most dense of the 3, but LA has over 2x as many people per square mile as Houston. Even in the most dense part of Houston, inside the loop the population density in 2010 was only 4,743/sq mile (per COH Loop 610 - Population ). The least dense region of LA after the Santa Monica Mountains is probably the San Fernando Valley. The population density in the SFV in 2000 was 6,405/sq mile. I couldn't find more recent data, but the population of the city grew so it is likely a little higher. In the ~58 square miles of Central LA (Central L.A. - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times), the 2000 population density was 14,458/sq mile, on par with Miami's population density of 12,140/sq mile in 55 square miles. I guess you could compare Houston to the San Fernando Valley, but even that's probably not a good fit.
I don't often post on this site, but when I do it's to clarify density figures. Just wanted to clarify that Los Angeles, by any measure is denser than Miami.

Miami (the municipality) is actually only 35 square miles (20 of the square miles counted are water). If you remove the sparsely populated Hollywood Hills from Central L.A. (using Mapping LA), you get a 40 square mile chunk--more comparable in area to Miami--with roughly 800,000 people. Which is 20,000 people per square mile.

Even if you include Griffith Park, one of the nation's largest urban parks, this central area still has 17,500 ppl/sq mi.

In other words, LA and Miami aren't that comparable when it comes to density.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:06 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro matt View Post
the difference is houston & la have iconic skylines/architecture & they're both among the top 4 largest us cities.

Nobody pays no mind to cleveland or charlotte when the topic of big city skylines are brought up. They're not even on the radar. Why, because its just not a subject worth talking about unless you live there.

hell i was at the top of rockafellar center in nyc one time when i over heard a random conversation between two complete strangers about how houston has one of the most impressive us skylines. you wouldn't hear cleveland or charlotte mentioned because they're not on that level.

Houston has the 3rd tallest us skyline only to chicago.
lol.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:34 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
I don't often post on this site, but when I do it's to clarify density figures. Just wanted to clarify that Los Angeles, by any measure is denser than Miami.

Miami (the municipality) is actually only 35 square miles (20 of the square miles counted are water). If you remove the sparsely populated Hollywood Hills from Central L.A. (using Mapping LA), you get a 40 square mile chunk--more comparable in area to Miami--with roughly 800,000 people. Which is 20,000 people per square mile.

Even if you include Griffith Park, one of the nation's largest urban parks, this central area still has 17,500 ppl/sq mi.

In other words, LA and Miami aren't that comparable when it comes to density.
You're right. I forgot that a lot of the area in Miami city limits is actually water. But it doesn't change my argument that Miami and Los Angeles are much more densely populated cities than Houston, and therefore have more in common. And yes, Central LA is more densely populated than Miami city limits, but if you carve out some of the less dense neighborhoods you can drive up the population density from 14,000 to 20,000/sq mile.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:49 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's nothing iconic about Houston's skyline; it's just big as hell. The only respect in which LA's might be called iconic is because it's in so many movies, but other than that? Not really.
Oh really?

Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Miami & LA for sure. The stars live in LA and party in MIA. I feel like the only thing Houston's known for is oil and Animal Cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City