Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
^^ Probably one of the most idiotic posts ever made on the site.

I've seen worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM

410 posts, read 633,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Actually, It's Omaha, Nebraska where the President had to go on 9/11, and would go any time in the future if we were under serious attack. The bunker is under ground at the Strategic Air Command at Offutt Air Force Base, just outside of Omaha.
In that case, Omaha totally beats Des Moines in terms of importance.
Denver also has some government installation type areas in mountains nearby, making it high on the list

Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
The CDC is under the United States Department of Health and Human Services, which is out of D.C. and the Cartoon Network, TBS, and CNN are all owned by Time Warner, which is out of NYC. That being said, I think there might be a little too much emphasis placed on Atlanta being decisions for these institutions are essentially being made elsewhere.

Actually most of the Atlanta cable networks have been gobbled up by larger networks. Comcast who owns NBC and many other cable networks is HQ'd in Philly - though like CNN or NBC for tht matter one still broadcasts from Atlanta and NBC in NYC even though owned out of Philly

Old 10-28-2010, 04:35 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,564 times
Quote:
^^ Probably one of the most idiotic posts ever made on the site.
i've been repped for that post a couple of times so I guess not everybody agrees with you. I think your comment is unnecessary and it doesn't add anything to the discussion You are just acting like a Bully.

I recommend you watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28mN0GtL2fk

Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually most of the Atlanta cable networks have been gobbled up by larger networks. Comcast who owns NBC and many other cable networks is HQ'd in Philly - though like CNN or NBC for tht matter one still broadcasts from Atlanta and NBC in NYC even though owned out of Philly
That's exactly what I stated in my previous post; Cartoon Network, TBS, and CNN (as well as TruTV, TNT, and a few others) are owned by Time Warner. They all broadcast out of Atlanta, but many decisions are ultimately made by Time Warner in NYC.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 PM

499 posts, read 667,838 times
Quote:

San Francisco Bay High tech/Biotech capital of the country. It's also a the financial center of the West. Thanks to its prominence in biotechnology, it's also one of the premier medical research areas in the country. It's an extremely well-educated area, as it is home to Cal-Berkeley, Stanford, UCSF, among others.

Boston Not just because I'm here, but also because it's arguably the medical research center of the country and maybe the world. The medical research in hospitals is extremely important, along with the billions of private dollars which go into the high tech/biotech/nanotech sectors in and around the city. The greater Boston area is both very well educated and the higher education Mecca of the world. Havard, MIT, Tufts, Lesley, Brandeis, Bentley, Wellesley, BC, BU, Suffolk...the list is huge. Having Raytheon doesn't hurt either haha.

I'm not so sure about this, I don't necessarily see their immediate importance in time of war or crisis. What could they do? They don't really have the power to implement anything.

For better access the knowledge and people in these areas could easily be moved to Baltimore which already is a strong medical and research center with Johns Hopkins and UM. Johns Hopkins receives the highest funding for a single institution I believe and no bout has the best hospital in country for many years now.

Maryland as a whole would probably become the medical epicenter, after all, despite the collegiate institutions in Boston and San Fran, they are not as significant nor do they have the power of the FDA (imagine what they would have to regulate), Department of Health and Human Services and NIH (which is a big reason as to why Boston and San Fran are medical hubs in the first place). They are all in Maryland.

NSA is in Baltimore area as well.

The Chesapeake Bay would be a very strategic point.

Also consider BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) Maryland was the second largest Beneficiary after Georgia. There's a reason why those Federal Gov made this move. The Baltimore counties are BOOMING because of this (40% of the nations commercial space under construction is in the Baltimore Washington corridor). Wonder why the US Federal Government closed bases in New Jersey and Virginia and Moved them to Maryland, they are bringing over 25,000 jobs to the state.

Walter reed in D.C. is closing and the new base will move to the Naval Medical Center in Bethesda right across the street from NIH main campus. The new base will be called Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

Last edited by TheJetSet; 10-28-2010 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 05:57 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Cleveland and it's metro area are quite important. The area has quickly become a leader
with regards to WORLD CLASS healthcare ... and there is also a large NASA research centre
in the city.
Cleveland also has retained the headquarters of 8 FORTUNE 500 companies.
While Cleveland is indeed a major city and important one. It is definitely top 25, but top 10? It's definitely a push. In the midwest, Chicago, Detroit, and Minneapolis come out ahead. In terms of medicine research, you have Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Boston, Houston. DFW and Chicago also have F500 companies. Then you have SF, LA, Miami, Atlanta. That's 12 cities ahead or at least in contention with Cleveland.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:03 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
While Cleveland is indeed a major city and important one. It is definitely top 25, but top 10? It's definitely a push. In the midwest, Chicago, Detroit, and Minneapolis come out ahead. In terms of medicine research, you have Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Boston, Houston. DFW and Chicago also have F500 companies. Then you have SF, LA, Miami, Atlanta. That's 12 cities ahead or at least in contention with Cleveland.

Well, everyone has an opinion ... believe it, if Cleveland were to be destroyed as part of what the OP mentioned regarding the "importance of cities" ... it would prove to be devastating to America and it's economy. Cleveland continues to be far more of an important city that most people would even "allow themselves to consider"

Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

OK KIDPHILLY what is broadcast from Philly??? NOTHING........................................... ........................

Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Doesn't look as that's happened yet, so it's still not true. You have that San Diego is the site of the largest Naval fleet in the World, the US Pacific fleet I'd assume. So it's the home site for the Pacific fleet. As it stands now, it's still not the biggest Naval Base.

The Naval Base at San Diego has 13 piers and houses the Pacific fleet which is currently between 50 and 60 ships.

The Naval Base at Norfolk has 14 piers and supports 75 ships, it also has 11 aircraft hangars that support 134 planes. It still currently houses the largest concentration of US Naval Forces and supports the United States Fleet Forces Command which operates in the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Indian Oceans, and it consists of 190-200 ships. Sounds like semantics to me, San Diego is the site of the largest "fleet" currently at around 60 ships, while Norfolk supports a 200 ship force.

The Pacific is definitely gaining in importance, but you're dreaming if you think the US will ever demote Norfolk and the Atlantic to a lesser status anytime soon, if ever.

Just because it's not the largest base doesn't mean it's not in danger of attack. We also have the Coronado-San Diego Bay bridge which connects downtown to the island of Coronado which has 2-3 navy bases. There are new ships coming into the bay/port weekly. I see it all the time.

http://www.rms.com/publications/TRMS.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City