Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:20 PM

442 posts, read 828,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
And outside of Atlanta is Racist/Biggot/Redneck and Segregated so how is that worse than outside Pittsburgh/Allegheny County.

Yes Pittsburgh is soo Racist and White it has a stunning critically acclaimed Culture Center devoted to African Americans right in its renowned Cultural District

August Wilson Center for African American Culture

Pittsburgh has plenty of neighborhood where Middle Class Blacks own their homes and live amongst Whites - which is what I prefer

Stanton Heights
Lawrenceville
Highland Park
West End
Carnegie
North Side
Knoxville
Carrick
Edgewood
Penn Hills
Monroeville

I Can go on and on....unlike many other cities where its segregated with Whites on this side and Blacks on that side....that's not progressive....

Boston, Seattle, Portland are predominantly white are they racist and bigots too????

Also let me ask, what is "Black Culture" in 2010 outside of the Stereotype that's been placed on blacks....someone define that for me, again NOT talking about the 50's - 60's - 70's...talking about right here and now what is 2010 black culture exactly? I know what it is in my mind, but I want to here it from others.
That's what happens when you have a significant black or any minority population; they have neighborhoods where they integrate and they have some they dominate of any class. Atlanta and Birmingham has all of it; integrated neighborhoods of all classes and minority neighborhoods of all classes. It may not always be intentional. Having a low percentage of any group like blacks in Pittsburg is going to have more spread out because there aren't enough to cluster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
You're right.....but here's the thing

1. Who in here said better night life = partying with "thugs".....??? Where do you get that from?
Where I got that from is all the insinuation flying around that the OP wants to segregate himself to only be around Blacks and assimilate with only Blacks....Outside of the Sterotype who does that???? To be a professional black person you have to forgo the Stereotype and broaden yourself and your associates...How professional are you if you can't look past skill color.

The OP ask where can he succeed as a black man...that doesnt equate with secluding ones self with only Blacks....Maybe Birmingham does have more Blacks....are they better educated, to they live better lives, own their own home, support their families better, assimilate better in society meaning amongst more than their own race????

No one has proven this to me about Birmingham yet....all they keep throwing at me is there's more black in Birmingham...Well DUH...The South overall has more blacks than the North.....Show me stats where they LIVE BETTER LIVES?

Quote:
2. True, an HBCU doesnt necessarily mean a better education.........but it does offer an environment that more African Americans can relate to than a non-HBCU, generally speaking
True I would not want to attend any college such as a BYU (also in the South btw) that promotes intolerance and bigotry....and None of Pittsburgh colleges traffic in that...But I do want to attend the Best School for my major, and one where I will have a true cultural experience of all kinds....I dont need to attend a college just because I'll be surrounded by Blacks...I want to be surrounded by everyone, I want to learn other cultures and lifestyles I want to live with people from all different parts of the world....

Pitt - CMU - Duquesne - Point Park are strongly diverse schools...This is what would be best for me as Black person and the fact that they're top ranked schools so I know my education would be well....

Quote:
Are you trying to say HBCUs and majority black southern cities only offer "ghetto" culture???
just based off mainstream BET rap videos and reality tv shows? lol
Did say that...I don't recall saying that...

I'm saying I look at schools that offer the better education for what I want to major in 1st...2nd I then look at the body...is a predominantly black colleges or mixed diverse colleges....to me I want the mixed diverse schools because for me its the better life learning experience....

I dont understand how segregation ones self to colleges of only one race is better for us as Blacks...I mean isn't this what MLK fought for freedom and inclusion and against segregation...so how are we bettering ourselves or how is it a better education/learning experience for me if I'm placing those types of restrictions on myself? Now if HBCU is giving me the best education for my major that's other thing I would have to think about....

Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
That's what happens when you have a significant black or any minority population; they have neighborhoods where they integrate and they have some they dominate of any class. Atlanta and Birmingham has all of it; integrated neighborhoods of all classes and minority neighborhoods of all classes. It may not always be intentional. Having a low percentage of any group like blacks in Pittsburg is going to have more spread out because there aren't enough to cluster.
I know Atlanta has it, Prince Georges County in DC also has it , but please show me where in Birmingham that black live better lives than the rest of the country...NYC, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, LA also have very high levels of African Americans but the overwhelming majority of these African Americans live in at or below poverty in crime ridden ghettos and have a harder time at achieving middle class status than Blacks in Pittsburgh...

So it's not totally about the numbers.....show me the way of life that's so much better for blacks in Birmingham...I'm going to keep harping this point until someone post proof...

Old 10-30-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
If their cities had the mainstream media status of ATL when it comes to modern urban/hip hop culture........There's nothing that tells me it would be any more positive than what comes out of ATL....maybe even more ghetto, from the "documentaries" I've saw.

Besides, You cant judge a city based on some mainstream commercial rap songs and a reality tv show lol.

But I agree this thread isn't about ATL, so I'll leave it at that (about ATL).
But why does ATL have this status....i mean its nice you dressed up professionally with "Modern Ubran Hip Hop" but most would just simply call it "Ghetto"...and why does ATL even want it? It glamorizes what should be shown as a sign of Hardship and Struggle...It tells our young blacks its cool to be ghetto...and you see more and more everyday our young blacks think this way of living is perfectly acceptable in society....

Maybe whites should start glamorizing the Trailor Park lifestyle in Indiana...

But you can judge it when its consistently used as the backdrop to Glam up what should a low point for most...why ATL?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 PM

442 posts, read 828,176 times
Quote:
But why does ATL have this status....i mean its nice you dressed up professionally with "Modern Ubran Hip Hop" but most would just simply call it "Ghetto"...and why does ATL even want it? It glamorizes what should be shown as a sign of Hardship and Struggle...It tells our young blacks its cool to be ghetto...and you see more and more everyday our young blacks think this way of living is perfectly acceptable in society....

Maybe whites should start glamorizing the Trailor Park lifestyle in Indiana...

But you can judge it when its consistently used as the backdrop to Glam up what should a low point for most...why ATL?
Because right now rappers from ATL are what's popular. Come on now, you are educated you should be able to figure this out.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:01 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
It is common sense. Birmingham is located in an area of the south thriving with HBCU's, and many of those folks find their way to Birmingham after graduation. As many have stated, the proximinity of Birmingham to Atlanta can also not be understated. I dont know too many young black professionals who wouldn't want to be within driving distance of Atlanta. What's intersting about this debate, is it highlights how differnt cities can be for differnt people. I imagine for a young caucasian professional, choosing Pittsburgh would be a no brainer. Its so much larger than Birmingham and I'm sure they'd find much more to do there. For African-Americans...not so much.
I do have to note that I find these choices ironic since Birmingham is considered "The Pittsburgh of the South" due to its steel heritage. Honestly though, I too would think of Pittsburgh if somebody was looking for a conservative and static community without much in the way of diversity. The average town in SWPA has a demographic split of about 90-98% caucasian...there is NO diversity. I literally work in a school district within the Pittsburgh MSA but outside of Allegheney County that has 70% economically disadvantaged and 99% caucasian demographics. This is pretty much the norm for a LOT of the area in terms of having a ridiculously dominant caucasian population. Nothing wrong with giving Pittsburgh a go, but the overall region is NOT open to diversity beyond Pittsburgh itself...not that there are issues or tensions here, but it's typical "Appalachian/West Virginia/Midwestern" territory and the mindsets match that.

Travel and the overall region is pretty important. I don't care what anybody tries to say, Birmingham has Pittsburgh beat very easily with this one. We're talking about simple driving distance to Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Huntsville, and Atlanta with Memphis, New Orleans, Jackson, Mobile, and Nashville being accessible within the nearby area. Atlanta, Memphis, and New Orleans are pretty much as good as it gets when discussing national hubs for African American culture, with Birmingham obviously feeding off of Atlanta. Total no brainer, the entire region is full of African American history and culture...as a musician, I LOVE Memphis and New Orleans for their roots/blues heritage. If those two cities don't have black southern culture down perfectly than I don't know of anyplace that does. There's an entirely different feel and presence to cities like Atlanta/Memphis/New Orleans than there is in Pittsburgh. Birmingham is going to be the same way to the point where you can feel that things are different and it's a part of something large-scale that spreads throughout the general region.

By contrast, Pittsburgh has Morgantown WV, and sort of Columbus and Cleveland if you stretch that. If you REALLY stretch your distances, you could say that Pittsburgh is within a trip to Philly, Baltimore, and DC but we're not a part of the NE territory and the trip can get rough when dealing with the mountains and whatnot, especially during the winter. Pittsburgh is much more isolated and has a reputation for being its own thing without influence, that's part of the Pittsburgh mystique...that we're closed off from other cities and have our own identity.

Just saying, there's absolutely no way that the SWPA/WV/E-OH region holds a candle to the cities of the deep south for African American culture.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 10-30-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Blackbeauty you're not making sense.

you said "Where I got that from is all the insinuation flying around that the OP wants to segregate himself to only be around Blacks and assimilate with only Blacks....Outside of the Sterotype who does that???? "

.....so are you saying that in order for blacks NOT to be ghetto, they HAVE to be in a "mixed" environment???

From your comments, it looks like you're saying that if he wants to surround himself with blacks, that means he must want to be around "ghetto" culture....lol as if there arent nice, non-ghetto black establishments down here.
There are BLACK bars/clubs that only play neo-soul/r&b and require dress code even in my part of GA...which isnt ATL. And they arent ghetto at all.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 10-30-2010 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
And outside of Atlanta is Racist/Biggot/Redneck and Segregated (remember the DEEP SOUTH? It still holds true in alot of Areas)so how is that worse than outside Pittsburgh/Allegheny County. Do you really know what the hell you're talking about????
What? I think you need to ask yourself that question.

Are you implying that outside of the major/big cities....that the medium/smaller cities and rural areas of PA are no different than the ones of Alabama or Georgia?

You are aware that in southern states widespread black population isnt limited to only a handful of cities per state like in non-southern states, right?

you ask how is it different? This is how it's different. Outside of CERTAIN PARTS of Pittsburgh and Philly = White......Outside of Bham = still very black.

My small metro in Middle GA has more black culture than Pittsburgh lol.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 10-30-2010 at 08:13 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 08:02 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
LOL, I love how you can see Pittsburgh's outline perfectly and about 90% of WV is basically pitch dark.

But you can actually see what I was talking about with how the general SWPA region fades out the very instant that you leave Pittsburgh, with it only getting darker and darker the further that you go. You can literally pinpoint the territory where I work just SW of Pittsburgh's outline. Anywhere outside of Allegheney County is going to have zilch for diversity.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 10-30-2010 at 08:13 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I do have to note that I find these choices ironic since Birmingham is considered "The Pittsburgh of the South" due to its steel heritage. Honestly though, I too would think of Pittsburgh if somebody was looking for a conservative and static community without much in the way of diversity. The average town in SWPA has a demographic split of about 90-98% caucasian...there is NO diversity. I literally work in a school district within the Pittsburgh MSA but outside of Allegheney County that has 70% economically disadvantaged and 99% caucasian demographics. This is pretty much the norm for a LOT of the area in terms of having a ridiculously dominant caucasian population. Nothing wrong with giving Pittsburgh a go, but the overall region is NOT open to diversity beyond Pittsburgh itself...not that there are issues or tensions here, but it's typical "Appalachian/West Virginia/Midwestern" territory and the mindsets match that.

Travel and the overall region is pretty important. I don't care what anybody tries to say, Birmingham has Pittsburgh beat very easily with this one. We're talking about simple driving distance to Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Huntsville, and Atlanta with Memphis, New Orleans, Jackson, Mobile, and Nashville being accessible within the nearby area. Atlanta, Memphis, and New Orleans are pretty much as good as it gets when discussing national hubs for African American culture, with Birmingham obviously feeding off of Atlanta. Total no brainer, the entire region is full of African American history and culture...as a musician, I LOVE Memphis and New Orleans for their roots/blues heritage. If those two cities don't have black southern culture down perfectly than I don't know of anyplace that does. There's an entirely different feel and presence to cities like Atlanta/Memphis/New Orleans than there is in Pittsburgh. Birmingham is going to be the same way to the point where you can feel that things are different and it's a part of something large-scale that spreads throughout the general region.

By contrast, Pittsburgh has Morgantown WV, and sort of Columbus and Cleveland if you stretch that. If you REALLY stretch your distances, you could say that Pittsburgh is within a trip to Philly, Baltimore, and DC but we're not a part of the NE territory and the trip can get rough when dealing with the mountains and whatnot, especially during the winter. Pittsburgh is much more isolated and has a reputation for being its own thing without influence, that's part of the Pittsburgh mystique...that we're closed off from other cities and have our own identity.

Just saying, there's absolutely no way that the SWPA/WV/E-OH region holds a candle to the cities of the deep south for African American culture.

I really don't think Birmingham feeds off Atlanta; better yet, each city that was named is quite different and has their own identity although they all have huge professional black population. Just my opinion and no bashing to Atlanta, sk8t!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City