Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say Birmingham. They have a rich history and some good colleges.

Not to knock Pittsburgh, which still has a gospel station btw, as they have a rich history too. Even communities outside of Pittsburgh like Aliquippa, Clairton, Wilkinsburg, Homestead and many othr communities have high Black populations for their size. So, it's not like Black folks aren't living in high percentages outside of the city of Pittsburgh.
That is true but the standard of living for those blacks is not equal to the standards for whites or even the rest of the country's black population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
The north in general tends to have fewer segregated radio stations -- it's not just Pittsburgh. There's no "black" station in St. Paul - Minneapolis, Des Moines, Columbus or Grand Rapids, either. Personally, I think it's a good thing. Why should we have radio stations based on race?

There are 3 black stations in Columbus all Radio one
It is just not a "black radio" WAMO was the life blood for the urban youth of all races. Many people got their information regarding the community from the radio station (church information, community activities, up and coming local artist, and various other urban information) which unfortunately the "other" radio stations will not pick up.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
There was no bashing or outlandish comments about either city in this thread until blackbeauty said or implied:

1 - Birmingham and southern cities "glamorize" stereotypical black behavior more than northeastern cities
(even though we all know about the inner city problems of places like D.C., Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and Several NJ cities....yeah those guys are COMPLETELY different and against the "stereotype")

2 - rural PA is comparable to rural areas of deep south states
(even though rural PA is almost exclusively white....and the rural deep south is heavily black)

3 - The south is so much more segregated
(even though a quick google of "most segregated cities" will display the list is mostly northern cities, and as if we dont have "mixed" clubs/bars/neighborhoods)

4 - If someone is looking for an atmosphere that caters mainly to blacks, then they are searching for a "ghetto" environment
(as if there cant be BLACK nightspots, hangouts, and neighborhoods that AREN'T ghetto.....unless they are intermixed with a certain amount of whites or some other race)

5 - Rapper Wiz Khalifa displays the "unity" between the races in Pittsburgh and provides an image that is anti-stereotypical young black man
(even though she posted a video that showed like 2 white dudes around all black guys......and Wiz is covered in tats and raps heavily about getting high)

6 - Pittsburgh offers a "better lifestyle for blacks" than Birmingham, and has a higher % of successful blacks
(even though according to the profiles of both cities on this site, Pittsburgh's black community is around 10% more impoverished than Birmingham's)

Blackbeauty, PITT is cool. I'm sure blacks can live a great life there. If you feel PITT would be a better choice that's cool too. However, in order for you to make your case for PITT, you dont have to knock Birmingham and the south with biased and in some cases plain incorrect views.

Simple as that.
Unfortunately as someone who has lived(?) in Pittsburgh for over 20 years but has traveled throughout the country and the south, what I have noticed is that many blacks from Pgh have never been anywhere and thus their views are bias towards places they have never been. The few blacks that have traveled to other places and have the ability to leave pgh, do so. Despite all of the noise Blackbeauty has made she is proof of what I said since she no longer lives there. Another thing college life is wonderful if you can afford it. College students are shielded from the racist realities of the working class blacks and go through their daily lives without a real care of their surroudings (for the most part). This hold especially true for people who come to pgh from other cities such as New York or other larger cities. True the crime and housing is lower but only applies if you have a decent job and don't mind being around people other than successful blacks.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
So Pittsburgh doesn't have any black radio stations, Birmingham has several, including the only Neo Soul format station in the country, and somehow Birmingham is behind??? LOL

If your thinking is any indication of the mindstate of people there, then no wonder people are running away from that area in droves:
Link: Preliminary Census figures show Pittsburgh metro population declined | Pittsburgh Business Times
But they're not "running away in droves."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Russell
Brookings profiles the "Highest Level of Educational Attainment, Population Age 25 and Over" for Charlotte, Phoenix, and Pittsburgh. What's unique about Pittsburgh is that the numbers of people with a high school diploma or less are shrinking, while the numbers of people with college degrees are growing. Phoenix is seeing growth in all educational attainment categories, while Charlotte is remarkable because it "experienced gains in college graduates but declines in adults without high school educations." Contrasting Pittsburgh and Charlotte, Pittsburgh is shrinking the number of less educated more rapidly than Charlotte. On the other hand, Charlotte is growing it pool of college educated at a faster rate than Pittsburgh. Slice it any way you want, Pittsburgh's talent profile is improving.

Per NullSpace.

Per the Urbanophile.

"Running away in droves" my ass. Get the **** out of 1983 and into 2010 already.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
"Running away in droves" my ass. Get the **** out of 1983 and into 2010 already.
I have nothing whatsoever against Pittsburgh, but come on. Just one year with a small increase out of the past decade really isn't much whatsoever. Overall, metro Pittsburgh is still hemorrhaging people, but I truly do hope that that trend is starting to reverse itself. It's remarkable how the city has been able to economically turn itself around as it has.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I have nothing whatsoever against Pittsburgh, but come on. Just one year with a small increase out of the past decade really isn't much whatsoever. Overall, metro Pittsburgh is still hemorrhaging people, but I truly do hope that that trend is starting to reverse itself. It's remarkable how the city has been able to economically turn itself around as it has.
But the trend among college-educated people has stood for at least 10 years. If a region is going to lose people, it's better to lose the less-educated than the more-educated.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
But the trend among college-educated people has stood for at least 10 years. If a region is going to lose people, it's better to lose the less-educated than the more-educated.
You can slice and dice out certain groups all you want, the fact is, this most recent 2010 article below by the "Pittsburgh" paper confirms the metro area is still bleeding people. Do you know how unusual it is for a metro area to loose people? Pittsburgh is one of only two or three large metros in the country losing population. Don't like it? Take it up with the census...

Link from March 2010: Preliminary Census figures show Pittsburgh metro population declined | Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You can slice and dice out certain groups all you want, the fact is, this most recent 2010 article below by the "Pittsburgh" paper confirms the metro area is still bleeding people. Do you know how unusual it is for a metro area to loose people? Pittsburgh is one of only two or three large metros in the country losing population. Don't like it? Take it up with the census...

Link from March 2010: Preliminary Census figures show Pittsburgh metro population declined | Pittsburgh Business Times
My point is, if it's such a worthless place, then why is there population growth in any socioeconomic segment, let alone the most desirable one? Why is the region getting smarter and richer if it's supposedly dying?

Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
My point is, if it's such a worthless place, then why is there population growth in any socioeconomic segment, let alone the most desirable one? Why is the region getting smarter and richer if it's supposedly dying?
So I guess no blue collar people go to Steelers, Pirates or Peinguin's games? Or hang out in the bars and resturants, or shop at the malls? Or pay property and sales taxes? You should take the blinders off. "Supposedly" is not an option. The metro area is losing people, and has been for years, period.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
So I guess no blue collar people go to Steelers, Pirates or Peinguin's games? Or hang out in the bars and resturants, or shop at the malls? Or pay property and sales taxes?
Not nearly as many as people like you believe.

Quote:
You should take the blinders off. "Supposedly" is not an option. The metro area is losing people, and has been for years, period.
"Supposedly" sure as **** is an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapers Block
The results of the 2010 census will again show a hefty population decline within the city limits, and the region has shown- up until recently- little growth in terms of international and domestic migration. But unlike places like Detroit or Cleveland, where a slow, spiraling decline of industry and population are exacerbating underlying dysfunctional conditions and dependency on old models of growth, Pittsburgh is undergoing a peculiar demographic turnover wherein more people are dying within the city than are being born and/or moving in at present.

Hence, the city is molting, literally discarding the remnants of its past. When the process is complete, which looks very close to occurring, the city left behind will be in some respects, a new, shining city on (many) hill(s). And an incredibly educated one at that, vying with Washington D.C. for the largest proportion of young adults aged 25-34 with post-graduate degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City