Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 05:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times

Advertisements

Blackbeauty, when you are in defense or making a case for Pittsburgh, you say alot of things that are misinformed or just plain OFFENSIVE to both BLACKS AND WHITES.

Example? When people point out that Birmingham has a much higher % of blacks, therefore having a much higher % of black amenities compared to PITT, you go on a rant about how if blacks want to surround themselves around a crowd of mostly other blacks then they must be adhering to the "ghetto" stereotype.

It's pretty offensive and plain WRONG to assume that just because a black person wants to surround him/herself around mostly other blacks, that they are into "ghetto" culture. Maybe that person wants a place with a higher % of middle class black neighborhoods or have a broader selection of upscale neo-soul/r&b type clubs, black churches, hair stylists/barbers, etc.

Also, you describe places out in the rural with heavy white population % as hick or throwing in things about KKK or racism. So all rural whites are hick KKK members??? I dont think so.

You also seem to forget that many of the rural towns in Alabama and the deep south are over 50% black, if not atleast 25%-45%, unlike PITT where it's closer to 90%-95% white in the rural.

There are more 90%-95% white towns in rural PA than there are in Alabama, so using YOUR OWN logic, PA is more "hick" than the deep south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Proof - Blacks can be successful and rewarded in Pittsburgh

Carnegie Mellon's Hayes wins National Book Award

Old 11-20-2010, 04:22 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Proof - Blacks can be successful and rewarded in Pittsburgh

Carnegie Mellon's Hayes wins National Book Award
No one said that they could'nt be sucessful. The overall majority of blacks in Pittsburgh are NOT doing well. You really should read the results from the Pitt's diversity study.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Now impress me and divide the numbers up by age segment...if you have the balls to.

Hey, divide it by the number of successful blacks since the original pollster wanted to know the difference between pittsburgh and alabama

Old 11-20-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
People are sooooo ignorant, honest to goodness.

What facts....You haven't proved any facts...Show me these fact...A disfuctional radio station that ran itself into the ground is hardly fact...Here's a clue even White were listening to WAMO...It had nothing to do with Race it had to do with dwindling $$$$ and that listeners were tuning out.....What because it was black the owers were suppose to take on massive amounts of debt and keep it alive???? WAMO wont be the only station, broadcast Radio is dying its called EVOLUTION - iPods, Internet Radio, Youtube, Satellite Radio...its killing Broadcast....

If Pittsburgh is no place for blacks, then 99.9% of America is no place for blacks.....because Pittsburgh doesn't glamorize the stereotype its a Racist place...I can find you hundered blacks that are saying the same thing in NYC, Philadelphia, Balitmore, Cleveland, Chicago, LA, Miami, etc...Pittsburgh city council at one point was 1/2 half blacks, representing half the city.....

Again because you felt like you couldn't make it in Pittsburgh you brand the whole city as Racist and not for blacks....Its the same song sang by Lazy black folk across america...That XYZ City is Racist because they could hack it there. Its this sense of "I'm Black so I'm entitled and if you don't give me, then you're a Racist"

Pittsburgh is no more Racist than the DEEP STILL SEGRAGATED SOUTH!

GTHOH WITH THE BS
I just want to thank you for showing how truely ignorant and untravelled that you are.

To go back on what I said before, b/c of your youthful ignorance you have no clue as the importance of that "dysfunctional radio station". For one the Sheradon broadcast company (who owned WAMO) initially had two stations an AM (jazz/gospel/local news) and the FM station which played music and provided information to the urban community. The FM station signal was sold for a weaker one and an undisclosed amount of money. So obviously it had some value but even more to the community, which brings to mind that if you were over the age of at least 30, and had ANY real roots to the black community you would have known this.

Local radio stations all over the country are competing with ipods, you tube and sat radio but they are thriving even in places like Atlanta that have multiple urban formats. Nationally syndicated radio is one thing but in a city where urbanites are limited in their choices especially in a historically segregated city such as Pittsburgh a local station is greatly needed.

Please tell me when was the city council EVER 50% black? I have never heard of this please show proof. There are not enough neighborhoods that are predominately black in order for that to occur or people willing to let that happen.

Again, because you have not spent enough of your adult life there you STILL have no clue what is (and has been) going on there for decades. You know it is funny that you speak of "one not been able to make it there" but yet you don't live there either You are cheering about the virtues of Pittsburgh but never lived there long enough to have had a career there. You claim that it is great for blacks, but your knowledge of Pittsburgh's black history is cloudy if it exists at all Your generalized statements regarding the south proves that you are not welled travelled, the furthest that you ever been down south was proably D.C as kid on a field trip

Read this again and very carefully, If Pittsburgh is so great for blacks why is'nt there a black upper/middle class area? Every city that I ever been with a population of over a million has one. Hell, even Cleveland has one. Come to think of it every city that you mentioned has a black middle class neighborhood, except Pittsburgh. But you would not know that since you rather generalize about a place instead of actually going there.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Young workers are the future. Pittsburgh's young workers (ages 25-44) are college-educated at a rate well above the national average. That bodes very well for the city's future.

And Pittsburgh is only "racist" to those who already have a racial chip on their shoulders. Half the people my father worked with in Pittsburgh were Asian, and none of them ever complained about not fitting in there.

Your comment is commendable, but asians are treated far differently that black are there. Not to sterotype but the asian population in Pittsburgh is not large enough to warranted as a threat either.

Since you are not a person of color, how would you actully know this? When was the last time that you went into Homewood, the Hill, Northside and talked to the average black person? If you did you find that not all of them have a "racial chip on their shoulders", and there may be some validity as to what Is being said.

Hmm, now let me get this straight according to you, based upon your father's relationship with (some of the) asians that he worked with
Are you saying that there are no issues regarding blacks in Pittsburgh that may be considered to be racially motivated, despite the facts brought forth by the university of Pittsburgh's diversity study?

Pitt study finds stark racial disparities

Last edited by simetime; 11-20-2010 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Simetime - You're a Racist...sorry but you are...Yes Blacks can be racist too....Again get off youre ass and take responsibility....Again the problem with Blacks in Pittsburgh can be found with blacks in Any MAJOR CITY....ANY!!!!!!!...Like you said yourself that doesnt mean blacks cannot be successful in Pittsburgh....

The problem with majority of Blacks in Pittsburgh and the other cities across the USA....Is:

- Un-wed and Uneducated Girls having babies at alarming rates
- Children raised by single mothers
- Overcrowed Public Schools
- Growing up surrounded by Crime and Poverty
- No sense of a community anymore
- BET MTV VH1 are raising your kids
- and the Stereotype is Glamorized to where kids think being thugs and hos living in the ghetto are cool...

It has nothing to do with Racism...I'm sorry that's a lazy, overused excuse that blacks like to throw around as a way for them to blame society for their own lazyness and irreponsibility....like society owes us something...it owes you nothing....you owe to yourself...

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 11-21-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Simetime - You're a Racist...sorry but you are...Yes Blacks can be racist too....Again get off youre ass and take responsibility....Again the problem with Blacks in Pittsburgh can be found with blacks in Any MAJOR CITY....ANY!!!!!!!...Like you said yourself that doesnt mean blacks cannot be successful in Pittsburgh....

The problem with Blacks in Pittsburgh and the other cities across the USA....IS:

- Children raised by single mothers
- Growing up surrounded by Crime and Poverty
- No sense of a community anymore
- BET MTV VH1 are raising your kids
- and the Stereotype is Glamorized to where kids think being thugs and hos are cool...

It has nothing to do with Racism...I'm sorry that's a lazy, overused excuse that blacks like to throw around to make an excuse for their own lazyness.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I had to respond here.

So since you can't defend Pittsburgh's obvious shortcomings here concerning the Black community, you choose to call someone a racist when they have NEVER said that they believe Blacks to be superior to Whites simply due to the color of their skin and to throw the entire Black community in the U.S. under the bus (in which case Pittsburgh is no better than Birmingham or any other city--so why are you making any argument for Pittsburgh at all)? Damn! Simply admitting you were off would have sufficed!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I had to respond here.

So since you can't defend Pittsburgh's obvious shortcomings here concerning the Black community, you choose to call someone a racist when they have NEVER said that they believe Blacks to be superior to Whites simply due to the color of their skin and to throw the entire Black community in the U.S. under the bus (in which case Pittsburgh is no better than Birmingham or any other city--so why are you making any argument for Pittsburgh at all)? Damn! Simply admitting you were off would have sufficed!

She/he is a Racist for the simple fact she blames "Whites" for all of Blacks problems....if she/he didn't blame whites then she couldn't blame Pittsburgh...

Pittsburgh shortcomings are all of American Cities short comings with the majority of Blacks....That's doesnt mean the cities themselves are Racist...Again that's a Lazy irresponsible excuse as to why Blacks have the hard time they do in America NOT JUST Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has the same problem with majority blacks

That

Boston has
NYC has
Philadelphia Has
Cleveland has
Minneapolis has
Chicago has
Detroit has
St Louis has
Cincinnati has
Baltimore has

Are you going to tell me all these cities are Racist because the majority of blacks live in the Ghetto?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
She/he is a Racist for the simple fact she blames "Whites" for all of Blacks problems....if she/he didn't blame whites then she couldn't blame Pittsburgh...
I saw no such thing coming from simetime. Maybe that's how you are taking it, but to label someone a racist on that basis is very irresponsible.

Quote:
Pittsburgh shortcomings are all of American Cities short comings with the majority of Blacks....That's doesnt mean the cities themselves are Racist...Again that's a Lazy irresponsible excuse as to why Blacks have the hard time they do in America NOT JUST Pittsburgh.
I disagree. A lot of what has been brought up relative to Pittsburgh is due to simple numbers. And past systematic actions of discrimination against Blacks in Pittsburgh and elsewhere do indeed affect present circumstances. That's not to say that there's no blame that lies elsewhere, but it's not all on one side as you're saying it is.

Quote:
Pittsburgh has the same problem with majority blacks

That

Boston has
NYC has
Philadelphia Has
Cleveland has
Minneapolis has
Chicago has
Detroit has
St Louis has
Cincinnati has
Baltimore has

Are you going to tell me all these cities are Racist because the majority of blacks live in the Ghetto?
So if this is the case, why are you even making an argument for Pittsburgh and against Birmingham at all? If your point is that Black people have it bad everywhere, then there's no need to defend Pittsburgh! You're shooting your entire premise in the foot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City