Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
But they're not "running away in droves."

Per NullSpace.

Per the Urbanophile.

"Running away in droves" my ass. Get the **** out of 1983 and into 2010 already.

Your stats include everyone and not the black population, which is what the original poll was about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
My point is, if it's such a worthless place, then why is there population growth in any socioeconomic segment, let alone the most desirable one? Why is the region getting smarter and richer if it's supposedly dying?
Because only a SEGMENT of pittsburgh is growing! There is no real latino or asian population and the blacks there are doing far worst compared to the national census. The native born black professionals have been leaving Pittsburgh in DROVES since the eighties and it continues today

Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
There was no bashing or outlandish comments about either city in this thread until blackbeauty said or implied:

1 - Birmingham and southern cities "glamorize" stereotypical black behavior more than northeastern cities
(even though we all know about the inner city problems of places like D.C., Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and Several NJ cities....yeah those guys are COMPLETELY different and against the "stereotype")

2 - rural PA is comparable to rural areas of deep south states
(even though rural PA is almost exclusively white....and the rural deep south is heavily black)

3 - The south is so much more segregated
(even though a quick google of "most segregated cities" will display the list is mostly northern cities, and as if we dont have "mixed" clubs/bars/neighborhoods)

4 - If someone is looking for an atmosphere that caters mainly to blacks, then they are searching for a "ghetto" environment
(as if there cant be BLACK nightspots, hangouts, and neighborhoods that AREN'T ghetto.....unless they are intermixed with a certain amount of whites or some other race)

5 - Rapper Wiz Khalifa displays the "unity" between the races in Pittsburgh and provides an image that is anti-stereotypical young black man
(even though she posted a video that showed like 2 white dudes around all black guys......and Wiz is covered in tats and raps heavily about getting high)

6 - Pittsburgh offers a "better lifestyle for blacks" than Birmingham, and has a higher % of successful blacks
(even though according to the profiles of both cities on this site, Pittsburgh's black community is around 10% more impoverished than Birmingham's)

Blackbeauty, PITT is cool. I'm sure blacks can live a great life there. If you feel PITT would be a better choice that's cool too. However, in order for you to make your case for PITT, you dont have to knock Birmingham and the south with biased and in some cases plain incorrect views.

Simple as that.

You need to travel more. 99% of America is segregated

Old 11-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
You need to travel more. 99% of America is segregated
Unfortunately, it is the view of the average black Pittsburgher until they leave. Once they left many of them do not return except to visit family

Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Unfortunately, it is the view of the average black Pittsburgher until they leave. Once they left many of them do not return except to visit family
- Please spoken like many Lazy A$$ Blacks that want to blame the location and society for being "Racist" and "Unfair", rather than their lazy uneducated selves.....Sorry I had to go there...It hurts but its true...

Sorry if you couldn't hack in the Burgh and were forced out......Yes Pittsburgh is an rough city for the Uneducated Lazys....Here a hint Pittsburgh doesnt just do blacks that way...It's that way for all uneducated folks, the Burgh is simply becoming increasingly diffcult for those without an education...

http://www.ucsur.pitt.edu/files/peq/peq_2010-03.pdf

2010 Best-Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...1/daily20.html

and it seems I'm not alone in this theory....A National Town Hall Event discussed the very same issue about Blacks by Blacks....Oh and Look that was held in Pittsburgh too....

Panel urges African Americans to build their own institutions

Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
- Please spoken like many Lazy A$$ Blacks that want to blame the location and society for being "Racist" and "Unfair", rather than their lazy uneducated selves.....Sorry I had to go there...It hurts but its true...

Sorry if you couldn't hack in the Burgh and were forced out......Yes Pittsburgh is an rough city for the Uneducated Lazys....Here a hint Pittsburgh doesnt just do blacks that way...It's that way for all uneducated folks, the Burgh is simply becoming increasingly diffcult for those without an education...

http://www.ucsur.pitt.edu/files/peq/peq_2010-03.pdf

2010 Best-Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros

Pittsburgh makes top 10 list for personal income growth | Pittsburgh Business Times

and it seems I'm not alone in this theory....A National Town Hall Event discussed the very same issue about Blacks by Blacks....Oh and Look that was held in Pittsburgh too....

Panel urges African Americans to build their own institutions
You are right it does hurt when it is true, but in my case REALITY hurts even more. Pittsburgh IS a racist city and to prove it here is a question for you. How much of Pittsburgh's rich black history did you learn in the Pittsburgh public school system (if you ever went there)?. Did you know that black were not even welcomed in the downtown area for years? Do you know about the reprecussion that blacks suffered from the building of the Civic Arena? Do you know ANYTHING about the rich jazz history of the Hill District? Quick! Can you name the last black mayor, senator or congressman that came from Pittburgh? I will wait until you look it up. I bet that you don't know about the history of Andrew Carnegie and his relationship to blacks either. Apparently you were having so much fun at college that you never bothered to learn about anything else outside of that environment.

In your previous post you claimed that you lived in the East Liberty area, did you go to Peabody or Westinghouse? Proably neither, since those are both predominately black schools that were at one time being slated to close. If you would have attended either one you would have known the difference between your school and city schools such as Alderdice which is predominately white.

Like I said before you are proably a transplant to the city or someone that is totally clueless about your surroundings and never bothered to learn about them either.

As for someone that could not make it in the "burgh I noticed that you no longer live there either, does this appliy to you also? Check you facts "young black native professionals have been leaving Pittsburgh since the early eighties" this is just something that was never addressed until the young white professionals started doing the same.

You see, unlike yourself I realize where there is opportunity and where there is not. This is why I left Pittsburgh on my own accord instead of waiting for years for a promotion that may never come.

Here is a little bio for you: I graduated from Schenley, Penn State University (Health Policy Administration), retired from the USAF after 20 years in the medical profession and has held a job since then in my profession. Now, if you are so rah, rah about Pittsburgh you should know that it is a city dominated by the health profession, so think about it why would someone with my creditials leave? I was tired of the racism and lack of opportunities there for people of color.

Here is a news flash for you, the uneducated as well as the educated are having probelms there especially if they are black. Has it ever occurred to you why our neighbors across the state in Philly think that Pittsburgh is "SLOW" in regards to diversity? I guess you would'nt because of your rose colored glasses.

Before you were so eagered to defend Pittsburgh, so should have at least took a peak at the diversity study done by Pitt University a couple of years back. Oh, I guess that was done on lazy uneducated blacks as well.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:20 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
You are right it does hurt when it is true, but in my case REALITY hurts even more. Pittsburgh IS a racist city and to prove it here is a question for you...
You know I've been all over the USA thanks to my career....and one thing almost all cities have in common amongst Blacks is...that they're Racist, and the Blacks that play that card the most are the Lazies, Uneducated, Ghetto dwellers that like I said want to blame the locations and societies for their misfortunes and why they have it tough....

I hear the same thing from Blacks in NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Miami all these places are "Racist" to them...LOL...Blacks in Philadelphia (while I lived there) thought Pittsburgh as being less Racist than Philly...NYC Blacks cry the same thing especially since housing is getting tougher and tougher here they think its the "White Man" trying push out all the Blacks....When its more of Rich vs Poor issue in NYC

JESUS GIVE ME A F***ING BREAK!!! As an AA Female I'm so tired of Blacks thinking they're Owed something from society.

GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASSES AND GET EDUCATED, THEN GET OUT THERE AND MAKE DIFFERENCE.....Quit Blaming the World for your screw ups in Life.

Quote:
How much of Pittsburgh's rich black history did you learn in the Pittsburgh public school system (if you ever went there)?. Did you know that black were not even welcomed in the downtown area for years? Do you know about the reprecussion that blacks suffered from the building of the Civic Arena
Yes I know my history thank you....But unlike you I chose to live in the NOW not back before my time.....back then has nothing to do with NOW...Do you think Pittsburgh was the only city where blacks got dealt a bad hand 100's of years ago?

Again you using something that affected our ancestry to excuse why you couldn't cut it that you had to run Down South....Please!!!!! I don't buy that on my worse day of the week.

Like I said I'm AA and Pittsburgh has launched me into a Career I wouldn't trade for the world....Is Pittsburgh tough? Yes! very tough for Lazy Uneducated folks and I can see how you feel like the world is passing you by because you have this sense of entitlement because you're black....You got it all wrong Pittsburgh nor the rest of the USA owes you anything, NODDA, ZIP, ZILTCH you owe to yourself to make the most of your situations...

Quote:
Do you know ANYTHING about the rich jazz history of the Hill District?
Yes I do know all about it.

Quote:
Quick! Can you name the last black mayor, senator or congressman that came from Pittburgh?
Quick! Name me a Black President other than Obama....So I guess that makes entire USA Racist until recently right?

BTW - Detroit and Cleveland both have black mayors and neither one are thriving or anything to write home about....Philadelphia has had 2 Black mayors yet Blacks are just as impoverished as they are everywhere else and the Violence in the Ghettos is Insane...

Yea so much for Black Mayor.....

Quote:
In your previous post you claimed that you lived in the East Liberty area, did you go to Peabody or Westinghouse? Proably neither, since those are both predominately black schools that were at one time being slated to close. If you would have attended either one you would have known the difference between your school and city schools such as Alderdice which is predominately white.
Actually I went to Central Catholic in Oakland for HS, got my bachelors at Point Park....Got internship at PNC which lead my career in Finance which to me to Black Rock Investments that took me out of Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and NYC....So I had to leave Pittsburgh to further my career many of people had to do it, doesn't mean Pittsburgh was any less to me....

Look I'm a proud Pittsburgher...even if youre not...Sorry it cuts you so deep to hear of Black person proud to be from the Burgh...Guess that's something Me and Wiz must've missed the memo on "Pittsburgh is Racist"....

and Speaking of History do you know the history of the South...I mean you hold it up so mighty...the South was ground ZERO for Racism....Burning Crosses on black folks lawns, KKK showing up damning them to hell....Seriously you want to talk about History....You had to drink from different fountains use separate bathrooms in the South..Blacks were 100% segregated from Whites....

Pittsburgh did hold a candle to south back then.....but as most of the Pro-South people have been arguing this isnt about back then its about NOW....so I bring the same claim to you...It's about NOW not back then..

Quote:
Like I said before you are proably a transplant to the city or someone that is totally clueless about your surroundings and never bothered to learn about them either
Like I said I from Pittsburgh born and raised honey and proud of it....If that gets under your skin...That's you're problem...

Quote:
As for someone that could not make it in the "burgh I noticed that you no longer live there either, does this appliy to you also? Check you facts "young black native professionals have been leaving Pittsburgh since the early eighties" this is just something that was never addressed until the young white professionals started doing the same.
No young black professional have houses in Monroeville, Stanton Heights, Penn Hills, Highland Park...They are plenty in Pittsburgh they live amongst the white, they dont need to segregate themselves as it seems they do in the South.

Again I moved because my career moved me, I was climbing a ladder. Show me those facts you claim that you black professionals are leaving the city....I do alot of research and have yet to find that stat.....

They left because Pittsburgh was in deep depression much like Blacks along with everyone else is taking flight from Detroit NOW...The steel industry collapsed it decimated Pittsburgh, it had NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE...as you keep trying to make it out to be....

And those same young professionals are moving right back into the City as Pittsburgh is the city with the Jobs.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Core City Educational Attainment

apparently - No City in the south has as high a Educational Attainment as Pittsburgh....as I showed as well Pittsburgh incomes are rising at a steady clip even in this recession...

and all these publication Rate Pittsburgh at or near the top for Education...

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Core City Educational Attainment

Most Literate U.S. Cities: Minneapolis and Seattle | LiveScience

Living in America's Most Literate Cities
Creative Class » Blog Archive » Where the World's Brains Are - Creative Class

Pittsburgh ranked in nation's Top 20 on Brookings Institution list

Pittsburgh's young workforce among top 5 most educated in US | e! Science News

Pittsburgh's new workers have left behind the region's industrial psyche

http://www.kiplinger.com/features/ar.../05/intro.html

Local labor force well-educated

http://www.buyyourhomeguide.com/most...ed_cities.html

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_660026.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/n...e-cities_x.htm

http://article.feedznow.com/Pittsbur...720309359.aspx

Quote:
You see, unlike yourself I realize where there is opportunity and where there is not. This is why I left Pittsburgh on my own accord instead of waiting for years for a promotion that may never come.
Hey plenty of People needed to leave Pittsburgh...But they aren't sitting on here crying Racism as an excuse as to why they weren't successful like you are...That's where you lost all credibility with me... Don't you get it Racism is the default excuse with Blacks...No Takes it seriously anymore...its a card that's been played so much it carries no weight.

Quote:
Here is a news flash for you, the uneducated as well as the educated are having problems there especially if they are black. Has it ever occurred to you why our neighbors across the state in Philly think that Pittsburgh is "SLOW" in regards to diversity? I guess you would'nt because of your rose colored glasses.
They think Pittsburgh is "Slow" on diversity is because of Low Hispanics, and Asians counts...has nothing to with Pittsburgh having less blacks...of course its going to have less its a smaller city....and trust me the way blacks live in Philadelphia is nothing to write home to Grandma about.

And No the educated are not having as hard a time as Uneducated in Pittsburgh....it has to do with Pittsburgh going from a Heavily Blue Collar to an Overwhelmingly White Collar workforce. Again has nothing to do with race....

Quote:
Before you were so eagered to defend Pittsburgh, so should have at least took a peak at the diversity study done by Pitt University a couple of years back. Oh, I guess that was done on lazy uneducated blacks as well.
Oh you dont need to tell me about Lazy Uneducated blacks...I've lived amongst them...They're like you everything is blamed on Racism and they're the victims as to why they can't get good jobs, forced to live in the ghettos, why they're in and out of Jail...Yes yes yes I know the song very well...Hear it in every city I go...

I know you think you're caputuring the attention of CD by scream Pittsburgh is Racist, but like I said that word has little meaning or affect anymore its been used so much as a scapegoat for blacks refusing to take responsibility for they're lives...It's impossible for cities to be full on racist like the term is mean for even in lily white places like Pittsburgh...

But I hear the KKK still pays people visits in the South...

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 11-14-2010 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Default Sorry, PA isn't exempt.

Quote:
I hear the KKK still pays people visits in the South...

Quote:
The KKK in Western PA
"Joe and Mary Walbeck of West Wheatfield Township lived peacefully in their predominantly white neighborhood until Nov. 15, 2009, when they found the remnants of a 6-foot cross burned in their yard"...
World News and Social Justice: The KKK in Western PA

Old 11-14-2010, 06:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
But I hear the KKK still pays people visits in the South...
Yeah; I had tea with them the other day.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times
" No City in the south has as high a Educational Attainment as Pittsburgh"

Actually, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Lexington all have higher rates of educational attainment. Austin too, if you consider that the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City