Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 04:39 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
From that same Artical - Nice one

Sooo? It's bad in the city of Pittsburgh, and it's even worse elsewhere in the region. Did you read that article?

How does that change anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 04:41 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
The north in general tends to have fewer segregated radio stations -- it's not just Pittsburgh. There's no "black" station in St. Paul - Minneapolis, Des Moines, Columbus or Grand Rapids, either. Personally, I think it's a good thing. Why should we have radio stations based on race?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:44 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The north in general tends to have fewer segregated radio stations -- it's not just Pittsburgh. There's no "black" station in St. Paul - Minneapolis, Des Moines, Columbus or Grand Rapids, either. Personally, I think it's a good thing. Why should we have radio stations based on race?
Actually there's KMOJ in the twin cities.

There was a hip hop station (B96) that just went off the air in the Twin Cities, and it disappeared for the same reason the one in Pittsburgh did. It was a dumb move, and motivated purely by profit...it now plays the same thing the top 40 stations do.

"black" radio stations help put out music that doesn't get heard elsewhere, organizes the community, and helps put the word out about events that don't get play elsewhere.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:48 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
broadcast radio will never die, for many reasons that i can explain BUT it would be strayign away to the original topic
Anyways, I think pittsburgh as a whole has more to offer.

mas23
I do please explain why wont an old entity die....Just like Broadcast TV is dead....its now Satellite, Cable or Digital TV....The same is coming for Radio Pittsburgh soon wont have a Top 40's station either...when it used to have 3...Because kids who listen to

Top 40 - HipHop/Rap now listen to it on their ipods, YouTube, 24-hr Music Video stations, Pandora, etc....how can broadcast keep up with that.....Pretty soon cars will come with Internet built right into the dashboards where you used to turn the radio dial will be touchscreen for net access...

Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Actually there's KMOJ in the twin cities.
Yep, looks like a black station to me. KMOJ Personalities: Personalities (http://www.kmojfm.com/?page_id=16 - broken link)

Unfortunatley Blackbeauty212 doesn't realize this is about more than music, its about giving people a voice in the community. It appears Pittsburgh is having problems keeping any type of media outlet geared towards the African-American community as this recent article suggests: WQED replaces

Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,316,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
LOL, maybe so but NASA sure didn't forget about it.

I know right! If I were to leave Atlanta for Pitt, I would very likely start burning CD's a month or so in advance.

If you are a professional or have a skill/trade you would be crazy!!!
I personally know at least 20 people of color that left pgh FOR atlanta in the last couple of years.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Sooo? It's bad in the city of Pittsburgh, and it's even worse elsewhere in the region. Did you read that article?

How does that change anything?
Pittsburgh has Ghettos just like every city...what do you want me to say!....and all the article is saying is that in Pittsburgh you have unwed mothers are having babies in ghettos than in other cities....Doesn't say anything about that there is also a Strong Middle Class that Blacks are also accustomed to in Pittsburgh....and that Pittsburgh Blacks are better integrated with Whites.

Never did I say Pittsburgh was the land of Black professionals....

But you keep trying to harp on Pittsburgh, show me where Birmingham is soooo great for Blacks....I keep coming back to that....and people keep dancing around it.

Oh and Jim Carvel said it best when describing PA as a State...

Quote:
Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.
Now where do you suppose he got Alabama when describing Rural PA....

Old 10-31-2010, 05:09 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,316,695 times
[quote=Blackbeauty212;16473140]No I'm very well informed....LOL!!!! Silly Child......I can post pics too...Pittsburgh very racist and segragated..SURRRREEEE!

Thats cute but where are all of the black males? To those of you who don't know none of these pictures are from a club either!

The segregation come from the education/graduation rates, unemployment, joblessmess and health disparities. Not from the mingling and intermixing socially.

The way the police treat blacks in pgh is also a bit of concern also apparently someone has forgotten about brother .......

Jonny Gammage and the Fight Against Police Brutality

Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Yep, looks like a black station to me. KMOJ Personalities: Personalities (http://www.kmojfm.com/?page_id=16 - broken link)

Unfortunatley Blackbeauty212 doesn't realize this is about more than music, its about giving people a voice in the community. It appears Pittsburgh is having problems keeping any type of media outlet geared towards the African-American community as this recent article suggests: WQED replaces
Yaaaa yes because we still need granddad radio stations to give minorities voices.....Pleaaaaaaasssssseeeeeee!!! It's 2010 plenty of outlets to have a Voice. And if tons of Pittsburgh Black were still listening to WAMO trust me somebody would've come in and replaced those lost dollars...obviously blacks have moved on long before WAMO died....

How 1940's are you....and how much of Voice was it when the Black radio station was playing the same thing the Top 40's were......

Again just showing how behind the Bham really is....

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 10-31-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 PM

[quote=simetime;16474591]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
No I'm very well informed....LOL!!!! Silly Child......I can post pics too...Pittsburgh very racist and segragated..SURRRREEEE!

Thats cute but where are all of the black males? To those of you who don't know none of these pictures are from a club either!

The segregation come from the education/graduation rates, unemployment, joblessmess and health disparities. Not from the mingling and intermixing socially.

The way the police treat blacks in pgh is also a bit of concern also apparently someone has forgotten about brother .......

Jonny Gammage and the Fight Against Police Brutality
First what does club scenes prove over neighborhood scenes that shows actual neighborhood intagration ..

Oh brother you bring up something from 1992

I guess LA is the same for Rodney King or NYC for cop killing of a black Bronx man

I'm sure this Never happens in the South!

Quote:

But Bham is more segragated than Pittsburgh.....so this would apply more to Bham and the south than to Pittsburgh..

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 10-31-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City