Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times

Advertisements

ummmm...wow.

Hey let's take a break from all of this and laugh at Cleveland!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 AM

249 posts, read 609,720 times
Pittsburgh is in no way a good city for African Americans and to argue that it is better than Birmingham in this regard is ludacris. Most of the school board and city council is perdomantly white. The black middle class is non-exsistant unless your looking at the Pittsburgh Steelers. I lived in Pittsburgh for 5 years and could not wait to leave that city it just isn't a city that will meet the needs of an African American that wants to succeed. And for a city not to have at least one black radio stations sums up the arguement

Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 AM

249 posts, read 609,720 times
The north in general tends to have fewer segregated radio stations -- it's not just Pittsburgh. There's no "black" station in St. Paul - Minneapolis, Des Moines, Columbus or Grand Rapids, either. Personally, I think it's a good thing. Why should we have radio stations based on race?

There are 3 black stations in Columbus all Radio one

Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
The north in general tends to have fewer segregated radio stations -- it's not just Pittsburgh. There's no "black" station in St. Paul - Minneapolis, Des Moines, Columbus or Grand Rapids, either. Personally, I think it's a good thing. Why should we have radio stations based on race?

We shouldn't have stations based on race, but I'm a little confused. When we are saying "black" stations, are we using that synonymously with "hip hop/rap/r&b/neo-soul" stations??

If there were stations where blacks or whites are excluded from, that's truly segregated and not right. However, there's nothing wrong with simply having stations that specify on one particular genre.

It's just that some genres are going to have a lopsided demographic of listeners. Hip-Hop stations of course would be largely black, just like some things such as techno, heavy metal, country, etc would be largely white. People of all races can listen to whichever one they please, so it's not like people are being excluded from anything.

There's nothing wrong with having stations that play "pop" music from all genres, but there's certainly nothing wrong with having stations that cater to specific genres (not races).

Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 AM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
St.Paul = KTTB 96.3 FM ( hip hop)
Radio Stations in Minneapolis MN

Des Moines =KJMC 89.3 FM ( urban contemporary)
Radio Stations in Des Moines IA

Columbus = WCKX 107.5 FM ( hip hop)
Radio Stations in Columbus OH

Grand Rapids = WLHT 95.7 FM ( Hip Hop)
Radio Stations in Grand Rapids MI

You are full of **** dude. Also, it is not like someone is saying " this is a black only station". All it means when someone says "black station" is that the station plays whatever genre(s) happens to be the most popular among black listeners and artist and typically the station has black Djs. The same thing with Mexican stations.

Last edited by sk8t; 11-01-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
St.Paul = KTTB 96.3 FM ( hip hop)
Radio Stations in Minneapolis MN

Des Moines -=KJMC 89.3 FM ( urban contemporary)
Radio Stations in Des Moines IA

Columbus = WCKX 107.5 FM ( hip hop)
Radio Stations in Columbus OH

Grand Rapids = WLHT 95.7 FM ( Hip Hop)
Radio Stations in Grand Rapids MI

You are full of **** dude. Also, it is not like someone is saying " this is a black only station". All it means when someone says "black station" is that the station plays whatever genre(s) happens to be the most popular among black listeners and artist and typically the station has black Djs. The same thing with Mexican stations.
That's what I was thinking. lol It's not based on race, just genres.

I guess it's amazing that on these black (hip hop, urban, etc.) stations one of the heaviest songs in rotation right now is by a white guy. (Eminem - Love The Way You Lie)

DANG THOSE SEPARATIST BLACK STATIONS!!!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 AM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
We shouldn't have stations based on race, but I'm a little confused. When we are saying "black" stations, are we using that synonymously with "hip hop/rap/r&b/neo-soul" stations??

If there were stations where blacks or whites are excluded from, that's truly segregated and not right. However, there's nothing wrong with simply having stations that specify on one particular genre.

It's just that some genres are going to have a lopsided demographic of listeners. Hip-Hop stations of course would be largely black, just like some things such as techno, heavy metal, country, etc would be largely white. People of all races can listen to whichever one they please, so it's not like people are being excluded from anything.

There's nothing wrong with having stations that play "pop" music from all genres, but there's certainly nothing wrong with having stations that cater to specific genres (not races).

I always wonder why it is when a black woman sings pop music it is automatically classified as "r&b" but if a white singer does it its pop. Rihanna a is the biggest example.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I'd say Birmingham. They have a rich history and some good colleges.

Not to knock Pittsburgh, which still has a gospel station btw, as they have a rich history too. Even communities outside of Pittsburgh like Aliquippa, Clairton, Wilkinsburg, Homestead and many othr communities have high Black populations for their size. So, it's not like Black folks aren't living in high percentages outside of the city of Pittsburgh.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post

That's not true about those cities and they are listed under the "urban" format. I also think such radio stations are good for informing the community and to give the community a voice in a way they wouldn't have otherwise. We have a radio station like that here in Syracuse. It doesn't have anything to do with segregation, as there are issues that communities might have at a different volume than other communities.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 AM

[quote=simetime;16475369]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

I guess the truth hurts! I do have a dislike of the city b/c of the history and because of the state of affairs that blacks there suffer. I don't like the way the education system miseducate our youth. I don't like the fact that when I venture further out of the city I have to be extremely careful not to upset a racist cop, since I could lose my life. I don't like the fact that UPMC one of the biggest employers in the area rarely hires native blacks in any high paying positions. I don't like the fact that the city with the some of the best hospitals in the country has a black population that can't get decent healthcare. True, I cannot speak for bham but since I do live in the south I can make a case for it. I cannot sit idlely (sp) and watch someone pump up a city that really has not done anything to promote it's black history and than not know anything about it.

Oh by the way the point that I was making was that the whole country heard about the NYC cops, the only reason that anyone even heard of the Gammage situation was b/c his cousin was a Steeler! Which as soon as his contract was over he promptly left!
Interesting......Also, Gammage and his cousin, Ray Seals are Syracuse natives. So, that story was big here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City