Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
1 - I am Black

2 - I am from Pittsburgh - East Liberty to be exact

No more racist than the Deep South Honey! And speaking of racist....you seem to be doing pretty good for yourself....since according to you...All Blacks want to seclude themselves amongst other black....That's racist too...

Sorry I am I suppose to be cheated by society or something? am I suppose to feel oppressed and feel that every white person is racist and holds me back? I'm an Educated Black Woman and a graduate of Finance from Point Park College with a successful career in NYC...so tell me how has Pittsburgh cheated me? some of my best friends in college are White, Asian, and Cuban and we all went to Point Park....

Sorry that I dont look at every thing as black and white as you do
You are "FROM" always remember that, you like myself moved from Pittsburgh for a reason and don't forget it! You, being educated proved my point, many educated blacks LEAVE pittsburgh and there is a reason for it. You may have had a good time while you were there but not knowing the history of pittsburgh also proves my point. People in the south who are born and raised there are aware of the history of their cities. Blacks in Pittsburgh do not and the reasons many of them stay is b/c they can't afford to move, scared to move (b/c, many never been anywhere else) or b/c of family. Tell me will you ever go back and raise your family there? I sure as hell won't

For the record I'm also a black educated individual (Penn State, HPA) and I like many of my educated counterparts fled the racism which is abundant in Pgh. Apparently so did you.

One thing that I noticed is that blacks once they have acheived a certain level of lifestyle or position, tend to forget about those who do not have the same fortune and subsequently don't realize their struggles even when it is thrown in their faces (Pitt's disparity study).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 06:15 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Use your damn head! Birmingham is going to have more blue and thus some will be clustered and OFCOURSE they are integrated in so parts. WHAT THE HELL IS PITTSBURG'S excuse for having most of the tiny blue they have in the center: SEGREGATION !
I dont know anything about Pittsburg - Learn how to Spell....

and the blue is called Ghettos you know what those are dont you.....so is all that segragate blue in Birmingham Ghetto blacks too????

Old 10-31-2010, 06:21 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,545 times
Quote:
You hate Pittsburgh - so therefore you're carrying a strong bias against it, even though you cannot make a relevant case for the South or Birmingham........[/b]
I notice you keep taking jabs at the South in general. You'd do best to keep this debate to just Birmingham, which though arguably offers more for blacks than Pittsburgh, it honestly lags other more stellar performers in the South...

"...Atlanta also far surpassed other metropolitan areas in its Black population gain during the 2000s. Its large middle-class Black population, along with its diversified and growing economy, provided a continued draw for African-Americans from across the country. Nine of the top 10 metro areas for Black population gains from 2000 to 2008 are located in the South, including the three “New South” areas of Charlotte, Orlando, and Tampa. These regions are attracting more highly-educated Blacks, including those from northern destinations..."

Link: http://www.newpittsburghcourieronlin...ional&Itemid=2

Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Yes, in my opinion, it is racist. Using race as a consideration on where to live is racist, or at the very least, xenophobic.

How would you guys feel about a white person who only wanted to live among whites? You guys would probably call him racist. Of course, it's not racism when blacks do it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
I just do not understand how someone who does not consider themself black (in the traditional sense) and who admittedly distances themselves from black culture always manages to find himself in just about every thread regarding black topics or the like.

I would imagine that I would be inclined to go in any other direction if my views were any where close to his, but he stops in each and every time to spew the same nonsense and derail what could have been a positive thread of sorts.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 PM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
I dont know anything about Pittsburg - Learn how to Spell....

and the blue is called Ghettos you know what those are dont you.....so is all that segragate blue in Birmingham Ghetto blacks too????

Lol, the vast majority of PITTSBURG'S blacks are in ghettos now!!?? Those areas in bham are not all or mostly hoods so that speaks volumes about Pittsburg.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,054 times
Quote:
Yes, in my opinion, it is racist. Using race as a consideration on where to live is racist, or at the very least, xenophobic.

How would you guys feel about a white person who only wanted to live among whites? You guys would probably call him racist. Of course, it's not racism when blacks do it, right?
White people do it all the time...they're called "safe" neighborhoods with "good" schools.

White people have the privilege of moving almost anywhere and not having their identity questioned; can live in neighborhoods of people of their own race that they would want to live in almost anywhere; can buy products suitable for their hair/skin/etc almost anywhere; and the list goes on.

It's not even that whites are numerically dominant so much as they are culturally so. The principle doesn't work the same way.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:

So Indians and Mexicans are racist? You have to be kidding me.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:29 PM

[quote=Blackbeauty212;16475116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post

The neighborhoods are

Downtown
Northside
Lawrenceville
Southside
Shadyside
Oakland

Plantation?????? OK! Like I said I was successful in Pittsburgh, I'm black and I never expereicned the so-called "Plantation" effect of Pittsburgh you have....

You hate Pittsburgh - so therefore you're carrying a strong bias against it, even though you cannot make a relevant case for the South or Birmingham....

Thanks for Playing....better luck next time.

Oh yea and btw those same NYC cops that were accused of the murder, were proven innocent and given their jobs back with back pay.....How is that justice....But no one will ever claim NYC to be a Racist Plantation....

I guess the truth hurts! I do have a dislike of the city b/c of the history and because of the state of affairs that blacks there suffer. I don't like the way the education system miseducate our youth. I don't like the fact that when I venture further out of the city I have to be extremely careful not to upset a racist cop, since I could lose my life. I don't like the fact that UPMC one of the biggest employers in the area rarely hires native blacks in any high paying positions. I don't like the fact that the city with the some of the best hospitals in the country has a black population that can't get decent healthcare. True, I cannot speak for bham but since I do live in the south I can make a case for it. I cannot sit idlely (sp) and watch someone pump up a city that really has not done anything to promote it's black history and than not know anything about it.

Oh by the way the point that I was making was that the whole country heard about the NYC cops, the only reason that anyone even heard of the Gammage situation was b/c his cousin was a Steeler! Which as soon as his contract was over he promptly left!

Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 PM

YO itz, take your chances and go to bham, I doubt that you would regret it.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times
There was no bashing or outlandish comments about either city in this thread until blackbeauty said or implied:

1 - Birmingham and southern cities "glamorize" stereotypical black behavior more than northeastern cities
(even though we all know about the inner city problems of places like D.C., Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and Several NJ cities....yeah those guys are COMPLETELY different and against the "stereotype")

2 - rural PA is comparable to rural areas of deep south states
(even though rural PA is almost exclusively white....and the rural deep south is heavily black)

3 - The south is so much more segregated
(even though a quick google of "most segregated cities" will display the list is mostly northern cities, and as if we dont have "mixed" clubs/bars/neighborhoods)

4 - If someone is looking for an atmosphere that caters mainly to blacks, then they are searching for a "ghetto" environment
(as if there cant be BLACK nightspots, hangouts, and neighborhoods that AREN'T ghetto.....unless they are intermixed with a certain amount of whites or some other race)

5 - Rapper Wiz Khalifa displays the "unity" between the races in Pittsburgh and provides an image that is anti-stereotypical young black man
(even though she posted a video that showed like 2 white dudes around all black guys......and Wiz is covered in tats and raps heavily about getting high)

6 - Pittsburgh offers a "better lifestyle for blacks" than Birmingham, and has a higher % of successful blacks
(even though according to the profiles of both cities on this site, Pittsburgh's black community is around 10% more impoverished than Birmingham's)

Blackbeauty, PITT is cool. I'm sure blacks can live a great life there. If you feel PITT would be a better choice that's cool too. However, in order for you to make your case for PITT, you dont have to knock Birmingham and the south with biased and in some cases plain incorrect views.

Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City