Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Woooooow!!!!!!!! Pittsburgh is GHETT-to!! That's some old J.J. on Good Times Satin Knights Junior Warlords type ghetto!! I see Black folks in Pittsburgh ain't doing nothing but "just looking outta da window, watch'in the asphalt grow-oh-oh-oh..thinkin how it all looks hand-me-down" Wow! LMFAO!!!!!
OMG!

Black Yinzers!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
OMG!

Black Yinzers!!!
LOL! Yinzers! I had to look that one up. Now I know more about Pittsburgh than I could ever care to know.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Name these rappers and post the songs and lyrics that talk about killing cops, raping women, and smoking weed all day.

Whoa now slow yo horses boss! Pittsburgh has had only three rappers that have made it verses the tens of wannabees coming out of atlanta that basically sound the same. Oh and what are THEIR lyrics about? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle......... Actually it is worst HERE in atlanta b/c you have more radio stations that play that crap then Pittsburgh

Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Woooooow!!!!!!!! Pittsburgh is GHETT-to!! That's some old J.J. on Good Times Satin Knights Junior Warlords type ghetto!! I see Black folks in Pittsburgh ain't doing nothing but "just looking outta da window, watch'in the asphalt grow-oh-oh-oh..thinkin how it all looks hand-me-down" Wow! LMFAO!!!!!

And this is coming from a state that can boast having two out 25 WORST neighborhoods in the Country! By the way would'nt that make them EXTREMELY GHETTO? and not to mention EXTREMELY DANGEROUS also?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:15 PM

The original poster wanted to know which is better between the two cities for a young black male. Myself being a resident of Pgh for some years agreed that Bham would be better, but the city overall is not as bad for everyone else. Comparing rappers/behaviors and the ghettozation of pittsburgh is another thing. Every city has hoodrats and chickenheads that do stupid things, but to home in on isolate events is kind of dumb.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
She/he is a Racist for the simple fact she blames "Whites" for all of Blacks problems....if she/he didn't blame whites then she couldn't blame Pittsburgh...

Pittsburgh shortcomings are all of American Cities short comings with the majority of Blacks....That's doesnt mean the cities themselves are Racist...Again that's a Lazy irresponsible excuse as to why Blacks have the hard time they do in America NOT JUST Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has the same problem with majority blacks

That

Boston has
NYC has
Philadelphia Has
Cleveland has
Minneapolis has
Chicago has
Detroit has
St Louis has
Cincinnati has
Baltimore has

Are you going to tell me all these cities are Racist because the majority of blacks live in the Ghetto?

Dear misinformed young lady, I'm no more racist than Malcolm X is Catholic. All I did was point out Pgh's shortcomings when it comes to how blacks live. What I'm saying is nothing new, heck the diversity study proves that. All that I'm saying is that since you have not spent alot (or any) of your adult life there working and trying to support a family you have basically lived a child's life while you were there. If you went to the public schools there you would have no clue of the rich black history either. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS NOT TAUGHT! How do I know? Hmmm, My father graduated from Schenley when it was predomintely white (no real history), I went through the same school system (no black history either) and it was predominately black, my son graduated from high school there and it was mixed (60-40) Still no local or black history. Now I ask you, If black history is not taught in a predominately black school and the curiculum is approved by an all white school board does that make me a racist b/c NOW (years later) I realize that information that would have useful was witheld from me?

The difference between you and I is that I KNOW what was not taught to me and you don't have a clue that you are missing a important part of your history (if you had any real roots in Pgh in the first place)

Oh yeah, everyone one of those cities that you mentioned have a strong black middle class neghborhood can you find one in Pgh?

As far as the "lazy blacks" uh the ones that stayed to fight the good fight are dwinddling down, some flee and only think about the good times that they had in their youth (yourself) and others figure that life is too short to fight an unwinnable war and leave (myself).

Incidently, I think you should read more and quit being so quick to jump to conclusions before you break an ankle. For one I NEVER said anything about blaming whites for anything. I said that Pgh is a historically racist city. There are blacks that are doing well there, but overall the black community is basically ignored. This just proves that the education that you recieved there is sorely lacking not to mention your view of other places in the country. Secondly, as a BLACKMAN I resent the fact you have the audacity to label a whole city of black people that are struggling to make ends meet. Finally, how can you speak knowingly of places that you have never been?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Maybe in Pittsburgh the majority of black people live in the ghetto, but that isn't the case everywhere.

That is not true, Pittsburgh has been very segregated for years only recently (10-20 years) have blacks been able to spread out throughout the city and that is mainly b/c of the closing of selected projects and white flight.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Well then you must be in agreement with Him/Her then...because she/he blame Pittsburgh for being racist...if she not blaming "whites" who is she blaming Hispanics???...the city is only the people who live in it.

Again to blame racism for the majority of blacks problems in Pittsburgh is Racist in of itself, and it the Defacto excuse for the Lazy and Irresponsible...I will continue to beat that drum...

Look I posted an article of a Pittsburgh Successful born and bred black professor at CMU who states in the article that Pittsburgh has been good to him....

I stated as Successful Black Woman Pittsburgh has been good to me...I have no signs of "Plantation" living like simetime....

Wiz - Successful Rapper, loves his hometown reps it in every video...

So if Pittsburgh is so racist, somehow us 3 and problably alot more missed that memo....You think we'd all be condemning the city and concurring the same sentiment that simetime has toward the city.

Is it because we're successful, educated, hard working individuals that we don't sit through life blaming cities for our what should be our responsibilities? Could that be it....Think about that!

and if the Past indeed still affects the Present like you're stating then I guess Birmingham and the rest of the South is still deeply segregated like the past....there are still strong signs there.

You named one person, a CMU professor! Now tell the rest of CD how MANY OTHER BLACK TENURED PROFESSORS WORK THERE! Hell, I can name a sucessful person that I went to school with Dwayne Dolpin (international jazz player) and even one that went with my son, D. Blair (Pro basketball player). So what is your point? Come to think of it, you seem to speak alot about Whiz K, what do you actually know about him? He, like you never worked or raised a family there but I can tell you that he is more familiar with the black experience in Pgh then you are. Do you know what school he graduated from? (Alderdice), do you know where his family roots are? (the Hill) Do you even know what his real name is?

You are the perfect example of the typical black young educated(?) pittsburgher that only sees what they want to see and cannot acknowledge that they don't know everything (or anything in your case)

Pittsburgh vs Birmingham has been over long ago in this thread....it's now about Pittsburgh and racsim or couldn't you tell, and it manifested into that by Simetime trying to claim that Pittsburgh is blame his/her problems and why the majority of blacks live in poverty....so I guess the same can be said for Boston, NYC Philly and all those other cities with Majority of Blacks living in impoverished ghetto's....

I'm thriving DESPITE of the lack luster education that I recieved in the Pittsburgh Public school system, which by the way was enough to get me into PSU and (gasp!) actually graduate. I'm also a Gulf war retired Air Force veteran and I'm presently working and will be obtaining a Masters degree. Incidentally, My wife (Penn Hills grad) has a dual degree from IUP. So I really don't see what "probelms" that you think that I have.
I entered this post b/c the pollster wanted an honest opinion on a serious life choice matter and you were only giving him that "Most livable city"crap. You can call me racist, but I call it being real.

Sorry if I dont see the world as sooooo Black n' White as you guys....I tend to look a bit deeper.
Yep, you see the projects but can't see the people trying to get out of them

Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Oh Brother -- - It's like talking to 12 year olds...

The Cities themselves DO NOT Glamorize the Stereotypical Ghetto lifestyle.....Meaning there wont be a "Real Housewives of Pittsburgh" or "Neicy and Effie of Homewood" or any of that other crap glamorizing Ghetto Life

Duh! because they are not doing as well (as a whole) as some of the other destinations. It would be looked at as a joke

That doesnt mean what the kids see that on TV and talk about it in School which influences them....Pittsburgh and Northeastern cities get BET MTV and VH1 too ya know...

Since you are obviously too young to know this but the show "HILL ST BLUES" which aired in the 80's was the vision of a man who went to school in Pittsburgh (CMU I believe) and was patterned from his experiences on and around the Hill district at that time. As far as I'm concerned that was a "glamourization" of ghetto life through the eyes of someone who was just "visiting"

Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Name these rappers and post the songs and lyrics that talk about killing cops, raping women, and smoking weed all day.
I don't have that type of time Besides I would put up Whiz's criminal record up against (TI -Atlanta) (Snoop-Long Beach) (lil Wayne - New Orleans) ect. Hell he was arrested for SMOKING WEED and not selling,transporting or manufactoring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City