Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, good luck with that.

Silicon Valley's biggest competitors are not even in the US-they are the likes Beijing, Bangalore etc.
I don't think it should be understood that these areas are comepeting against the Silicon Valley per se, but the named areas are attracting more innovative people on the same scale as the Silicon Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Seriously?

You weren't providing an alternate P.O.V. You were simply trying to stir up sh*t like you always do.

Any Sunbelt Poster: "Hey our economy is doing good!"
You apparently have me confused with some other rainrock.

I have nothing but respect for all cities. Although the c-d Houston syndicate tend to be a tad overzealous imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr
. Philadelphia is a behemoth in the pharmaceutical industry...an industry pushing grossly overpriced products in this country especially when compared to the cost of pharmaceuticals in other parts of the world.
But I'm not starting 5-6 threads a week on city vs city making Philadlephia appear superior to other cities, many of those other cities which are going through some very difficult times. When I do start unsufferably tooting Philadlephias horn feel free to criticize anything you feel objectionable to.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Specifically mentioned were:

The "Texaplex" - DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio
Raleigh-DurhamSalt Lake City
"Urban Northern Virginia"
Oklahoma City
Indianapolis
Des Moines
The article might mention Raleigh-Durham but it only gives population for the Raleigh side. The entire "metro" is close to 1.8 million.
BTW, the artist rendering at the top of the article is the view looking south from North Carolina's State Capitol building down Fayetteville Street in Raleigh.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I don't think it should be understood that these areas are comepeting against the Silicon Valley per se, but the named areas are attracting more innovative people on the same scale as the Silicon Valley.
I think it's safer to say that these are the places where many Silicon Valley companies go to grow beyond San Jose. I know that my company (based in San Jose) has ~4500 employees in Raleigh. Many of them moved from San Jose because they couldn't afford to live there comfortably anymore on a six figure salary. The same can be said of companies from the Boston area and New Jersey (pharms). In Raleigh, this trend started way back in the 60s when IBM began moving thousands upon thousands of New Yorkers to Raleigh and, eventually, its enormous campus in Research Triangle Park.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think it's safer to say that these are the places where many Silicon Valley companies go to grow beyond San Jose. I know that my company (based in San Jose) has ~4500 employees in Raleigh. Many of them moved from San Jose because they couldn't afford to live there comfortably anymore on a six figure salary. The same can be said of companies from the Boston area and New Jersey (pharms). In Raleigh, this trend started way back in the 60s when IBM began moving thousands upon thousands of New Yorkers to Raleigh and, eventually, its enormous campus in Research Triangle Park.
That's basically what I'm saying. But, RTP and Silicon Valley are two different styles on innovation. Silicon Valley sparked one type of innovation and RTP sparked the research park craze that is now seen in Huntsville, Charlotte(a very bad example btw), and I believe their are a few research parks in Cali.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Here:
Greetings From Recoveryland: Ten Places to Watch Coming Out of the Recession | Newgeography.com

New York
10 years: -1.5%
7 years: + 0.3%
2 years - 4.1%
1 year: -0.5%

Los Angeles
10 years: -6.2%
7 years: -5.2%
2 years -8%
1 year: -1%

Chicago
10 years: -8%
7 years: -4.8%
2 years -7.4%
1 year: -1.7%

Houston
10 years: + 11.7%
7 years: + 10.9%
2 years - 3.6%
1 year: - 0.5%

Dallas Fort Worth
10 years: + 3.7%
7 years: + 8.1%
2 years + 3.6%
1 year: + 0.8%

Chicago's numbers are disappointing.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago's numbers are disappointing.
Chicago's numbers are horrific, and arguably the worst in the nation.

The Chicago economy is a national embarassment. Daley can't leave office soon enough!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Chicago's numbers are horrific, and arguably the worst in the nation.

The Chicago economy is a national embarassment. Daley can't leave office soon enough!
Really? Their MSA stats are still #3 in the nation and way far ahead of the #4 city. Their job losses are very troubling, but to insinuate there is a crisis in Chicago may be a bit much.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Really? Their MSA stats are still #3 in the nation and way far ahead of the #4 city. Their job losses are very troubling, but to insinuate there is a crisis in Chicago may be a bit much.
Dude, don't even go down that road. You're being baited. Some claim Chicago has/is lost/losing 70k jobs. I'm not sure if that's annually or since 2000.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Dude, don't even go down that road. You're being baited. Some claim Chicago has/is lost/losing 70k jobs. I'm not sure if that's annually or since 2000.
Chicago is losing roughly 70,000 jobs annually per Federal BLS figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City