Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Seattle's nightlife is beyond pathetic as well. I was quite shocked at how subpar the nightlife is in Seattle. 1:30 AM last calls, most "clubs" open at 10 PM. People are wallflowers, and when people aren't they get drunk and want to fight. Well they talk big to each other but never do anything. Clubs are SHUT DOWN completely by 2 am, no exceptions. Seattle definitely appears to be a vibrant city that's a lot of fun, but just make sure you do everything before 11 PM. Because a minute later everything is closed down. Basically Seattle is really good at appearing to be a major city, but it's really a bunch of backwards country folks, who sit at home with their friends they knew from high school, and have a few drinks. People don't really go out in Seattle, as evidenced by it's pathetic nightlife.

Now in terms of food. If you're not a big fan of Asian food, you're SOL. I was appalled by the lack of diversity in food. Everything is ethnic. Can't get a good burger to save my life. Can't get any good BBQ or a good hot dog. The American food cuisines are pathetic. Basically if you aren't some hipster who strives off of ethnic food (and by ethnic I mean limited to East Asia) then you'll get bored of Seattle's cuisines quick. The pizza here sucks, no place for slider burgers, and I don't even want to tell you how pathetic cheese steaks are. I mean Seattle is a city that tries hard not to be an American city.

Very odd that Seattle tries hard not to be an American city, as every person here is white. If you're a minority in Seattle and not Asian, you either living in some ghetto, or you're probably here to work out a contract at some tech company. That's about as diverse at it gets. Seattle has the worst of a small town mentality, where they're trying to be different enough just to see who is noticing them being different. Kind of takes away from the down to earthiness you find in most East Coast cities, and everyone is some walking talking ideologue

But beautiful city nonetheless.
Sorry you dont know where to go for after hour clubs in downtown try the Contour , Neighbors, or Noc Noc. And like Anthony Bourdine says Seattle is one of the top food cities in the USA representing all ethnic backgrounds watch the season finalle of the layover. But if your looking for southern or eastern American Food Seattle is not big on Southern or Eastern food. Think ocean Seattle is big on sea food as Philly is big on cheese steaks.But it makes sense Seattle is not a Southern or a Northeastern city its a Pacific Northwest City so its food is Pacific Northwest and Seafood being a coastal city,

Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Sorry you dont know where to go for after hour clubs in downtown try the Contour , Neighbors, or Noc Noc. And like Anthony Bourdine says Seattle is one of the top food cities in the USA representing all ethnic backgrounds watch the season finalle of the layover. But if your looking for southern or eastern American Food Seattle is not big on Southern or Eastern food. Think ocean Seattle is big on sea food as Philly is big on cheese steaks.But it makes sense Seattle is not a Southern or a Northeastern city its a Pacific Northwest City so its food is Pacific Northwest and Seafood being a coastal city,
Philadelphia is known for much more than Cheesesteaks and can easily clobber Seattle in most food categories. Philadelphia without a doubt is the best sandwich city in the country... period.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
Quote:
Seattle's nightlife is beyond pathetic as well. I was quite shocked at how subpar the nightlife is in Seattle. 1:30 AM last calls, most "clubs" open at 10 PM. People are wallflowers, and when people aren't they get drunk and want to fight. Well they talk big to each other but never do anything. Clubs are SHUT DOWN completely by 2 am, no exceptions. Seattle definitely appears to be a vibrant city that's a lot of fun, but just make sure you do everything before 11 PM. Because a minute later everything is closed down. Basically Seattle is really good at appearing to be a major city, but it's really a bunch of backwards country folks, who sit at home with their friends they knew from high school, and have a few drinks. People don't really go out in Seattle, as evidenced by it's pathetic nightlife.

Now in terms of food. If you're not a big fan of Asian food, you're SOL. I was appalled by the lack of diversity in food. Everything is ethnic. Can't get a good burger to save my life. Can't get any good BBQ or a good hot dog. The American food cuisines are pathetic. Basically if you aren't some hipster who strives off of ethnic food (and by ethnic I mean limited to East Asia) then you'll get bored of Seattle's cuisines quick. The pizza here sucks, no place for slider burgers, and I don't even want to tell you how pathetic cheese steaks are. I mean Seattle is a city that tries hard not to be an American city.

Very odd that Seattle tries hard not to be an American city, as every person here is white. If you're a minority in Seattle and not Asian, you either living in some ghetto, or you're probably here to work out a contract at some tech company. That's about as diverse at it gets. Seattle has the worst of a small town mentality, where they're trying to be different enough just to see who is noticing them being different. Kind of takes away from the down to earthiness you find in most East Coast cities, and everyone is some walking talking ideologue

But beautiful city nonetheless.
Yeah, Seattle stops serving booze at 2am - as does Philly. I was just on Upper Pike (in Capitol Hill) this weekend and the streets were packed at 2 am with people pouring out of the dozens and dozens of bars and clubs in the area, lining up for pizza and hot dogs. Very vibrant, alive, and fun. There are a decent number of fun, active nightlife areas in Seattle that get busy, and there are tons of great bars and music venues, as well a growing club scene. In fact, Seattle has more bars per capita than Philly, and I'd venture a wider variety of places to go as well.

As for food - no good burgers? Are you kidding? Seattle has a ton of great burgers - Uneeda Burger, Quinns, Skillet Diner, Lunchbox Laboratory, etc. etc. Seattle even has its own local "fast food" burger mini-chain, Dick's. And Seattle has a lot of pretty good hot dog carts and its own Hot Dog style, which includes cream cheese and in some cases, Sriracha. I could go on and easily debunk every point you've made, but clearly you are a hater troll who has nothing to contribute to this conversation about two great cities.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Wow. Color me surprised. So Seattle doesn't specialize in the food that is common to Philadelphia? Who'd ever have seen that coming?

So I guess that Philadelphia is a hotbed of seafood pulled fresh from the ocean ... Dungeness crab, salmon, etc. all are specialties there, hm?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philadelphia is known for much more than Cheesesteaks and can easily clobber Seattle in most food categories. Philadelphia without a doubt is the best sandwich city in the country... period.
Thats kool I dont think anybody is trying to compete with Philly and there sandwiches. Philly has Seatttle beat except for Asian , Sea Food , Ethnic and Pacific Northwest style food.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
<iframe src="Tony's Philly Tips: The Layover Philly: Travel Channel" height="414" width="576" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Anthony Bourdain Does Philly | The Traveling Type

Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Sounded like he has more nice to say about the food in Seattle.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Wow. Color me surprised. So Seattle doesn't specialize in the food that is common to Philadelphia? Who'd ever have seen that coming?

So I guess that Philadelphia is a hotbed of seafood pulled fresh from the ocean ... Dungeness crab, salmon, etc. all are specialties there, hm?
Off topic, but I find Delaware blue crab to be better than dungeness.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

Actually, Philly is a big seafood city, but not as big as Boston or Baltimore, so it's somewhat overshadowed. People who talk about Philadelphia food but have never been here, pretty much sound like this. "Cheeseteaks. Philly cheeseteaks cheesesteak cheesesteak. Cheesesteak Philly cheesesteak cheesesteak. Cheese and steak Philly, cheese. Steak."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City