Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Actually, Philly is a big seafood city,
Eh, it's ok. I wouldn't put it in my top 10. Now for pork products...

Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
In my opinion, Boston, San Franciso and Seattle had a threesome.
Exactly.

The types of people that like one will like the other 2, the three are desirable to the same types of people. 3 sisters IMO.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Eh, it's ok. I wouldn't put it in my top 10. Now for pork products...
PORK...LOL! Funny. I think many Philadelphians as well Seattle folks have these off target generalizations about each other's towns. They both have a lot to offer and don't believe it's grand slam in either direction. It's all about preference I suppose. Also 10,000 new & permanent residents since the last census for whatever reasons they're there is STILL 10,000 People who've decided they want to be there.

I was born & raised in Philly and trust me I've seen it worse... It's Improved A LOT and is continually improving. The days of "SLUMLORD MILLIONAIRES" are over, meaning boarded up factories and office buildings from the 1930's that were blending in with our neighborhoods and the skyline.The slumlords and their families who've owned those eyesores for years are dying off rapidly. That old outdated "Quaker" thinking and way of doing business as usual is on life support! There's new construction going up in a lot of neighborhoods in the city as well as new faces that are not just from the Tri State area but from across the US and around the world.

IT IS A LOT CLEANER than it was in the early 80's through mid 90's. The streets do not have as half as many pot holes as there used to be, abandoned cars are no longer sitting on city blocks for months and years at a time, nor are stolen cars sitting stripped in the city parks and on the side of roads as they were commonplace during my childhood and young adulthood. There IS STILL needed improvement and it IS continuing to improve. There's always been after hours bars and clubs but many of them were not in the best of areas and you would be safe but your car or walking to the bus or train might be a different story. Also some after hours spots were flat out illegal and dangerous from a fire code standpoint. These days that has changed immensely.

Philadelphia has street corner vending trucks that ARE BETTER than a lot of town's restaurants! There are many types of flavors from American, Italian, Greek, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, Ethiopian, Chinese, Polish, etc..

The buildings and bridges are neon lit very well, there's a ferry on our #2 river as well as a plan for Penn's Landing on our #1 river that'll be coming into play soon. New towers are going up in North & West Philly as the universities expand.. It's a great town full of great people and it's more than black & white, cheese steaks & hoagies, and center city.

I LOVE IT! I reside on the west coast and have recently rented an apartment there in an urban/ somewhat suburban section of the city where my neighbors are Portuguese, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, Russian, African American,German, Jewish, Jamaican, Dominican, Polish, Philippine, Thai, etc;.

So personally, I'll take it over Seattle and many other places in a heartbeat.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Or Seattle.
Or Seattle, but that wasn't the question. The question was, does Philly do seafood and does it do it well. The answer is yes, a lot more than outsiders recognize.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Or Seattle, but that wasn't the question. The question was, does Philly do seafood and does it do it well. The answer is yes, a lot more than outsiders recognize.
No, that was not the question. Or the statement. The statement was, it's not what Philadelphia is known for. It is what Seattle is known for. So why complain about the fact that one city is known for certain foods and not the other. Each city has their own specialties that the other doesn't do as well in.

Sure Philadelphia restaurants are able to fly in fish. And some of it might even be sort of fresh.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
No, that was not the question. Or the statement. The statement was, it's not what Philadelphia is known for. It is what Seattle is known for. So why complain about the fact that one city is known for certain foods and not the other. Each city has their own specialties that the other doesn't do as well in.

Sure Philadelphia restaurants are able to fly in fish. And some of it might even be sort of fresh.

You do realize that Philly is basically right on the Ocean and two large bays, correct?

Philly is not known as much for seafood (it does pretty well) because it does so many other things better.

I like the food in Seattle and Pike market is great but on the whole, there are only three cities (in the US NYC/CHI/SF) I personally put ahead of Philly these days (potentially a forth in LA) and Seattle is not one of them.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
You know there is fish in the Atlantic, right? There aren't many Philadelphia seafood restaurants that fly in their fish except for some top Japanese restaurants (maybe some west coast fish gets flown in).

Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You do realize that Philly is basically right on the Ocean and two large bays, correct?

Philly is not known as much for seafood (it does pretty well) because it does so many other things better.
Yeah, pretty much.

Btw, if anyone wants to know the fishing on the Mid-Atlantic Coast (or at least what it used to be): http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...text=usfwspubs

This uses a geographic definition of Mid-Atlantic, so it goes from Cape Cod to Cape Hatteras. But it tells you where the major fisheries and major markets are of these fish. The report is from 1940, so it's obviously extremely dated because tastes change. You can find things more up-to-date, but less comprehensive.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM

214 posts, read 410,146 times
Is it a surprise that people like Seattle more than Philadelphia? Also, is this more credit to Seattle or concern for Philadelphia?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
Is it a surprise that people like Seattle more than Philadelphia? Also, is this more credit to Seattle or concern for Philadelphia?
Only to the Philadelphia die-hards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City