Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Dallas a regional, national, or global center for fashion?
Dallas is a regional center for fashion 76 46.06%
Dallas is a national center for fashion 31 18.79%
Dallas is a global center for fashion 10 6.06%
None of the above 48 29.09%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The closest Dallas can get to national status is Neiman's. Those days are long gone.

Other than that, Dallas is a regional fashion hub & always has been, which isn't necessarily such a bad title to hold.

Fashionable goods used to arrive by way of seaport (Galveston) from places like England if anyone has read up on their Texas History.
Are you serious?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 AM

617 posts, read 1,423,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
To be a "World Wide Fashion Hub" a city has to be innovative; they have to CREATE fashion. They have to have world famous designers that are creating the products that then get sold globally. Cities like Milan, New York City, Paris, Los Angeles, Tokyo, etc... do this. Cities like Dallas mainly re-sell the stuff that designers in other cities create. I'm not familiar with a single well known or famous designer in Dallas and don't know of a high profile fashion show in Dallas that is so important in this industry.

Dallas is a regional location for shopping and purchasing, but not for innovation and fashion design. Is Dallas an international hub for fashion ??? NO. Why? Because I doubt somebody in Japan or South Africa or Germany is wearing a clothing item designed in Dallas. The same can't be said for international fashion capitals like New York City or Paris, etc... When I think on a US scale, I still think it is only a regional center. I don't think I can really buy much here in Southern California that was designed by a Texan.
Again I repeat myself who is saying that Dallas is a fashion hub?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Are you serious?
When was the last time you bought something from Neiman's?

The company has been passed around like a 5 dollar bill.

They aren't even headquartered in Dallas anymore, or Texas for that matter.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
When was the last time you bought something from Neiman's?

The company has been passed around like a 5 dollar bill.

They aren't even headquartered in Dallas anymore.
Yes it is!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Yes it is!
From a wiki excerpt

"Over the last 20 years, ownership of Neiman Marcus has passed through several hands. In June 1987, the company was spun off from its retail parent, Carter Hawley Hale Stores, and became a publicly listed company. General Cinema, later to become Harcourt General, still had a roughly 60% controlling interest until 1999, when Neiman Marcus was fully spun off from its parent company. On May 2, 2005, Neiman Marcus Group was the subject of a leveraged buyout (LBO), selling itself to two private equity firms, Texas Pacific Group and Warburg Pincus"

TPG is headquartered in San Francisco
Warburg Pincus is out of New York

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
From a wiki excerpt

"Over the last 20 years, ownership of Neiman Marcus has passed through several hands. In June 1987, the company was spun off from its retail parent, Carter Hawley Hale Stores, and became a publicly listed company. General Cinema, later to become Harcourt General, still had a roughly 60% controlling interest until 1999, when Neiman Marcus was fully spun off from its parent company. On May 2, 2005, Neiman Marcus Group was the subject of a leveraged buyout (LBO), selling itself to two private equity firms, Texas Pacific Group and Warburg Pincus"
Ok, who cares about the company. The stores are still doing well.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
From a wiki excerpt

TPG is headquartered in San Francisco
Warburg Pincus is out of New York
That's the owner! Neiman Marcus Group headquarters are in Dallas.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:04 AM

Do you know that Bergdorf Goodman is owned by Neiman-Marcus.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
I heard that Dillard's is turning into an upscale department store.

I am going to research it.............
Depending on the market, Dillard's can be anything from on the level of JC Penney to just a notch above Macy's. Its best stores are upper-mid tier, nothing to really brag about.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm talking about Fashion, obviously others are talking about Malls.
I am not aware of any unique fashion coming out of Dallas. Any claim at being a fashion center, be it regional or national, must be based on the fact Dallas is generally the first city in the South other than Miami to get luxury retailers. That said, once a retailer opens in Dallas, Houston and Atlanta are not far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City