Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Bos-Wash/Northeast 85 55.56%
TX, CA, FL 68 44.44%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

This is by far a more fair comparison. The entire Northeast (by US Census Definitions) + MD, DC, VA, & WV against CA, TX, FL.

Criteria:
- Dining Scene (Formal & High End) Preference Catxfl. Each one of these states has a unique food scene. Ethnic Miami, Texmex/southwestern, California fusion. The best produce, seafood and beef. Whats up?

- Restaurant/Food Scene (Casual and common)
- Casual? Burgers took off in the west,In N Out, fast Mex and the big burrito taking over the world, Asian. what else? CalTxFla

- Recreational Opportunities - Easy. CalTxFla. No question.

- Interesting places - CalTxFla, more diverse set of places within the area defined.

- Economy (Health) - CalTxFla, Texas single handedly won this one.

- Better Set of Cities (More unique set- cities as a whole not just one city over all others) CalTxFla - You'd be tempted to say Bos/Wash, but not so fast. When you consider the differences and uniqueness from Miami to Orlando to Dallas/Austin/Houston SD/LA.....................and San Francisco, c'mon.

- Parks - CalTxFla - California brings this one home, the best national parks.

- Scenery - CalTxFla......easy.

- Opportunity - Tie. Although Texas of all these places is the frontier.

- Expenses - Tie. Texas is low, but balances with California.

- Weather - CalTxFla...........its undeniable. Youve got the pristine alpine setting of Lake Tahoe and the Sierras, the mediterranean splendor of Southern California, the warm and rugged hill country of Texas and the tropics of South Florida. Boom.

- Pace of life - Meh, tie. Different strokes.

- Sports Scene - Much like the CATX vs NYPenn......CalTexFla wins. You got the Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, Mavs, Heat & Magic vs the Celtics, Knicks, Wizards, and Nets.......c'mon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:22 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
I-10 Passes through all 3 states. It's I-10 vs MOST of I-95.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I-10 Passes through all 3 states. It's I-10 vs MOST of I-95.
What are you talking about? Are we suddenly including Georgia, the Carolinas, and Florida in the NE? Is Alabama, Missippi, Arizona, and New Mexico suddenly being included in the CFT?

I don't get what you're implying.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
- Dining Scene (Formal & High End) Northeast
- Restaurant/Food Scene (Casual and common) Northeast
- Recreational Opportunities CA TX FL
- Interesting places CATXFL
- Economy (Health) Northeast (long term trends)
- Better Set of Cities (More unique set- cities as a whole not just one city over all others) Unique, CATXFL
- Parks CATXFL
- Scenery CATXFL
- Opportunity Northeast
- Expenses TX FL are fairly cheap, NE/CA no
- Weather CATXFL
- Pace of life Northeast
- Sports Scene Northeast

Overall I would pick CATXFL for nature/variety/climates... Northeast for about everything man made.
Why do you say Sports scene goes to Northeast?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
What are you talking about? Are we suddenly including Georgia, the Carolinas, and Florida in the NE? Is Alabama, Missippi, Arizona, and New Mexico suddenly being included in the CFT?

I don't get what you're implying.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ate_95_map.png

MOST(or maybe half) of I-95 passes through the states the OP mentioned.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Why do you say Sports scene goes to Northeast?
yankees, phillies, redsox, giants, jets, patriots, redskins (they have a big fanbase even tho they aren't doing well atm), knicks (look at the attendance, and thats with or without a decent squad), celtics, rangers, etc. etc.

we definitely have the better sports scene and fanbase.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
- Dining Scene (Formal & High End) Preference Catxfl. Each one of these states has a unique food scene. Ethnic Miami, Texmex/southwestern, California fusion. The best produce, seafood and beef. Whats up?
Better seafood? New England lobster, Maryland crabs, a variety of shell fish all over the Northeast...the Northeast wins that category.

Quote:
- Economy (Health)
Quote:
- CalTxFla, Texas single handedly won this one.
Come on man, try to have some objectivity. Texas is in very good shape, but Florida and California are in the crapper. They're easily the two worst states in the country in regards to economic health. Meanwhile, two of the most economically healthy major cities are located in the Northeast: Washington DC (5.7%) and Boston (7.1%). New York City (8.2%) and Philadelphia (8.4%) are both under the national average and comparable to Dallas (7.9%) and Houston (8.3%).

Quote:
- Better Set of Cities
Quote:
(More unique set- cities as a whole not just one city over all others) CalTxFla - You'd be tempted to say Bos/Wash, but not so fast. When you consider the differences and uniqueness from Miami to Orlando to Dallas/Austin/Houston SD/LA.....................and San Francisco, c'mon.
Ehhhh definitely don't agree with you here but I guess that's your preference. Yes, there is a wide variety of cities in California, Texas, and Florida...but I still much prefer cities like New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh...among others.

Quote:
- Sports Scene
Quote:
- Much like the CATX vs NYPenn......CalTexFla wins. You got the Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, Mavs, Heat & Magic vs the Celtics, Knicks, Wizards, and Nets.......c'mon.
You forgot about the Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Patriots, Ravens, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Penguins, Flyers, Capitals and Bruins.

Does anyone else find it odd that Florida, Texas, and California are indisputably the best hotbeds of talent for football, but every football team in those 3 states is a joke? Dolphins, Bucs (did great this year though), Jags, Cowboys, Texans, Chargers, 49ers, and Raiders are all terrible.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
yankees, phillies, redsox, giants, jets, patriots, redskins (they have a big fanbase even tho they aren't doing well atm), knicks (look at the attendance, and thats with or without a decent squad), celtics, rangers, etc. etc.

we definitely have the better sports scene and fanbase.
Lakers, Heat, Cowboys, Rockets, Mavericks, Dodgers, Magic, Raiders, Bucanneers, Lightning, Dolphins, Marlins, Panthers, Spurs....

But more importantly the way I see it Sports is not confined to NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL. I can watch the Steelers lose from Cali just as easily as I can in Pittsburgh.

But skiing, snowboarding, cycling, golf, soccer, wakeboarding, surfing, powerlifting, bodybuilding, boxing, sailing, sport fishing, volleyball, taekwondo, tennis are all better in CFT over NE. Only things I can think of that are truly better in NE are Rugby, Lacrosse, and perhaps Crew. To some extent Hockey too but its a major league sport so unless you're playing you can watch it wherever you are.

I guess I just prefer participating than watching. And honestly if I were to watch I'd rather be on a beach watching a Volleyball or Surf competition.

/edit/

A big factor and one that is keeping me from voting is weighing in Chess. Not sure whether I would classify it as a sport or recreational activity as to me recreational activities don't involve competition but sports involve a more physical aspect. In either case Chess I would of course say is better in NE though after NYC the top place for Chess probably is Miami.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
lol@ the heat fanbase. son, their attendance is so bad they put out ads BEGGING ppl to show up to the games...and this is with lebron, bosh and wade.

the only teams i'll give you from that list are the cowboys and raiders fans. MAYBE the lakers fans. the rest of those teams is a hell no, from a fanbase standpoint.

tennis, the us open. where is that held? OH. queens, ny.
cycling is more of an overseas thing, anyway.
the other sports you listed are either more of an overseas thing and/or just don't have a large following here, period.

there's a reason why you hear and see more about the MLB/NFL/NBA in this country. its cool you have a large variety but if nobody is into it, then...?

the mavs, rockets, dodgers, magic, bucs, lightning, dolphins, marlins, panthers and spurs all fall to the fanbase, titles, etc. that the yankees have, period.

but when you add on the celtics?? the fanbase of the knicks (sold out regardless of how poor or good the team is, even spring training?)

realize that we had babe ruth, dimaggio, jackson, strawberry, piazza, rivera, gehrig, berra, ford, mays, etc. and some of YOUR teams came from OUR region.

lastly, it doesn't matter if you can watch a sport on tv way over there. hell, i can watch an all blacks game streaming on my comp, the point is that in this country rugby isn't even a distant 12th place from the sports everybody here likes...and when it comes to those sports, our fans are diehard, the championships are there, the sales as far as merchandise support that the NE wins in the sports category.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
lol@ the heat fanbase. son, their attendance is so bad they put out ads BEGGING ppl to show up to the games...and this is with lebron, bosh and wade.

the only teams i'll give you from that list are the cowboys and raiders fans. MAYBE the lakers fans. the rest of those teams is a hell no, from a fanbase standpoint.
You're right but remind me again who won the Lakers or the Celtics? But hey we're talking fanbase that's right not which teams are better - oh but wait the Superbowl was in Dallas and the NBA All-Star Game will be in Orlando. Don't even mention Collegiate Sports because if it weren't for girls basketball at UConn you all would be dead - UF, UM, FSU, UT, TA&M, USC forget it in terms of both quality and fan base.

Quote:
tennis, the us open. where is that held? OH. queens, ny.
I'm sorry but the US Open being in Queens is pretty irrelevant. Where did the last US Men's winner come from? Born in Cali, lives in FL. What about Woman winner? Born in Cali, lives in Cali. How about a recent runner-up? Born in South Africa lives in Houston.

Quote:
cycling is more of an overseas thing, anyway.
the other sports you listed are either more of an overseas thing and/or just don't have a large following here, period.
I'm sorry but just because they don't have a large following doesn't mean they don't exist. I participate in Powerlifting, my cousin is a competitive Surfer in SD. Golf and Sports Fishing ARE HUGE in this country. Autoracing is another huge one and remind me where is the Daytona 500?

Source: Most Popular Sports in United States of America#

Quote:
there's a reason why you hear and see more about the MLB/NFL/NBA in this country. its cool you have a large variety but if nobody is into it, then...?
The reason is because they are team sports that can generate a lot of revenue when people get into them and they're able to played and watched everywhere which is why they don't hold any weight on one region over another. Thats the entire point - you can play football just as easily in SF as you can in Buffalo but remind me where are all of those NYers going surfing? How are those golf courses in December?

Quote:
the mavs, rockets, dodgers, magic, bucs, lightning, dolphins, marlins, panthers and spurs all fall to the fanbase, titles, etc. that the yankees have, period.

but when you add on the celtics?? the fanbase of the knicks (sold out regardless of how poor or good the team is, even spring training?)
Good for you

Quote:
realize that we had babe ruth, dimaggio, jackson, strawberry, piazza, rivera, gehrig, berra, ford, mays, etc. and some of YOUR teams came from OUR region.
Who cares about what you had or where the teams came from? Why are you even talking about people that aren't even alive now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City