Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 01:08 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/...530a3241_o.jpg

This is an old pic, about two years old, but it serves to illustrate how the Miami River snakes through Downtown Miami, in a fashion similar to the Chicago River, and separates the Central Business District from the Brickell Financial District.

One aside.....I was reading this book that ranked US cities per economic performance and importance in the world economy in a bookstore near the university of Chicago...it had cities ranked per size of the circle around the city......the biggest ones were around LA, NY, Chicago, and, drumroll....Miami.....they consider it huge in terms of economic importance for the usa and the world. Maybe that is why the skyline looks like Chicago...

Old 06-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/...22988977_o.jpg

In Chicago, you frolick on the Lake. In Miami, we frolick on the Bay.

And in both cities, we dodge gunshots and gangland shootings...LOL...but true, and sad too......VERY high crime rate in both of our cities...

Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Interesting thread and lots of nice photos.

One photo of Chicago that showed the Sears and several other buildings towering over the old Board of Trade Building kind'a freaked me out.The Board of Trade used to be one of the dominant buildings back when I was a kid, along with the Prudential Building. In 1966 I had a summer job working for E.F. Hutton at the Board of Trade, I was big-time!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:06 PM

229 posts, read 1,043,281 times
Thumbs up The Chicago of the South!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
One aside.....I was reading this book that ranked US cities per economic performance and importance in the world economy in a bookstore near the university of Chicago...it had cities ranked per size of the circle around the city......the biggest ones were around LA, NY, Chicago, and, drumroll....Miami.....they consider it huge in terms of economic importance for the usa and the world. Maybe that is why the skyline looks like Chicago...
This is why it is starting to look like Chicago. Miami's climate (subtropical, but very nearly tropical), it's geography (port city with nice beaches), and its proximity to Europe and South America all combine to contribute to Miami's importance as a world city in the 21st century. And even though the real estate market is bad right NOW, so much new interest and attention was brought to Miami with the magnitude of this most recent "boom," we could see the same kind of continued development that has only been witnessed in New York and Chicago.

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; 06-07-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
And in both cities, we dodge gunshots and gangland shootings...LOL...but true, and sad too......VERY high crime rate in both of our cities...
Well, with the new wealth this most recent "boom" will bring to the city, I hope we can better address all of that. We also topped the list for "road rage" again this year. I believe it is because we have so many people people who come from either South America or the Caribbean and are used to driving on a dirt road somewhere and simply are not accustomed to the fast pace of city life. We certainly need more driver education down here for people who unknowingly cut you off or who poke along below the speed limit in the left-hand lane.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
This is why it is starting to look like Chicago. Miami's climate (subtropical, but very nearly tropical), it's geography (port city with nice beaches), and its proximity to Europe and South America all combine to contribute to Miami's importance as a world city in the 21st century. And even though the real estate market is bad right NOW, so much new interest and attention was brought to Miami with the magnitude of this most recent "boom," we could see the same kind of continued development that has only been witnessed in New York and Chicago.
Again, the book gave a huge circle to Miami, only SF, Chi, LA, and NYC had the same size.........I think if they can control their crime and drug prob, the sky is the limit..also, tememundo and hispanic tv is headquartered there..sabado gigante, everything...export-import, etc...
again, lick that crime and huge drug problem, and watch out for Miami.
Also, very bad school districts in Miami. They need to work on that as well.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:38 PM

Thumbs up The Chicago of the South!

Quote:
Again, the book gave a huge circle to Miami, only SF, Chi, LA, and NYC had the same size.........I think if they can control their crime and drug prob, the sky is the limit..also, tememundo and hispanic tv is headquartered there..sabado gigante, everything...export-import, etc...
again, lick that crime and huge drug problem, and watch out for Miami.
Also, very bad school districts in Miami. They need to work on that as well.
Miami is very much in a state of flux right now. This might be considered our awkward adolescent growth spurt where we don't know what we'll be until we grow up, but I remain optimistic that it will be an intellectual star athlete with artistic talent.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/...1ee54c6f_o.jpg

Old 06-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Miami is very much in a state of flux right now. This might be considered our awkward adolescent growth spurt where we don't know what we'll be until we grow up, but I remain optimistic that it will be an intellectual star athlete with artistic talent.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/...1ee54c6f_o.jpg
This pic is incredible..great wallpaper too!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:02 PM

Thumbs up The Chicago of the South

Quote:
This pic is incredible..great wallpaper too!
Where the sun is in that pic is where we will have skyscrapers in the future, but the height cap there is 649 feet. That is our Edgewater area. There are four skyscrapers approved for that area between 500 and 600 feet tall and one other is proposed, but none of them made it this time around. Maybe next time. But that pic with the sunset illustrates how long our skyline will be in the future.

This is the point we are making with the Miami/Chicago comparison. No other American city other than New York and Chicago will have a skyline as long as ours. Its linear aspect is what will make it resemble Chicago more than any other American city as well as skyscrapers lining the Miami River in Chicago fashion. Of course our buildings will look a lot different because Miami does not have the architectural tradition that Chicago has. Our skyscrapers are designed with a tropical look to make you feel as though you are on a perpetual vacation. That is what it was like when I lived and worked on South Beach. It was like being on vacation all the time.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,176 times
Beautiful photos of Miami! Miami is a major financial city especially for Latin America and the Caribbean, since it is basically Latin America's defacto financial capital. Also not to mention, Miami has the largest concentration of international banks outside of New York City. Some might think beaches, nightlife and shopping, but there's more than just the fun, there's a strong financial foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City