Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 PM

209 posts, read 524,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I don't have a problem with it either, kdogg. In fact, it's part of the reason why DFW looks more tidy and organized than the Houston area. Atlanta is very similar with a lot of country looking places outside of the core. Only difference is the trees are much taller.

But before Houstonians run off with themselves, Houston does have several country feeling parts as well. Especially on the northeast side. In some areas driving to Humble or Atascocita, you wouldn't know that weren't driving thru some red neck town in East Texas.
Thats because up until that Airport was built, it was a redneck east texas town.

Humble has portions of "country", but nothing about this area is redneck anymore.
YouTube - humble high kids dancing (My nephew and his girlfriend made this video a couple years ago)
It feels pretty urban out here....hahahaha

Id say you are right though, some parts feel very east texas. But once you hit Will Clayton along 59...that feeling is over.

in 15-20 years, i can see the Humble area have a heavy urban feel. it seems to be the direction the City of Humble wants to anyways.

on another note, this area is one of the top areas for Middle Class Blacks and Middle Class hispanics in Harris County. I saw a study down this past year that showed Spring and Humble areas being in the top 3 in African-American growth.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That is the harshes comment I have ever heard you say about a town. I will say this about Aggtown it is the most diverse city in the Metroplex. I havent seen a mall in DFW yet more diverse than Parks mall.
Dude the Parks Mall is G-H-E-T-T-O.

I wouldn't be braggin about that place if I were you.

I'd rather go to the Northeast Mall in Hurst which is MUCH nicer.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dude the Parks Mall is G-H-E-T-T-O.

I wouldn't be braggin about that place if I were you.

I'd rather go to the Northeast Mall in Hurst which is MUCH nicer.
Diverse=ghetto... ok man...I never seen a ghetto mall with a Cheese Cake Factory...Ice Skating rink...etc... The Gallery in Houston would also be classified as Ghetto by your definition...All you do is make outlandish and inaccurate comments about DFW.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Diverse=ghetto... ok man...I never seen a ghetto mall with a Cheese Cake Factory...Ice Skating rink...etc... The Gallery in Houston would also be classified as Ghetto by your definition.
No

ghetto = worrying about your car getting stolen when going inside to pay your Sears bill or getting raped, mugged, or beaten up for looking at someone the wrong way.

Crime there is rampant at the Park's Mall these days.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-01-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Come on kidphilly. I'm not the one to stick up for metro matt. But he said nothing about density. He merely said that Houston skyline looks like LA skyline and that Houston is set up like LA.

LA skyline yes a bit, Chicago skyline, no, not even close

but also coastal setting of LA (Houston is basically as far inland as Philly as the city goes) and length and size of Chicago.

And on the highway the skyline may look similar but the mountains and density directly off the LA highways really look different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston does indeed feel like LA when it comes to tall skyscrapers, wide freeways, & coastal setting.

I think that's the point you're missing here.

Some skyline angles of Houston do give off that continuous Downtown skyline appearance like Chicago.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

but also coastal setting of LA (Houston is basically as far inland as Philly as the city goes) and length and size of Chicago.

And on the highway the skyline may look similar but the mountains and density directly off the LA highways really look different
I've heard people state that when you're in the midst of downtown Houston; it reminds them of Chicago.

I can see it:

Chicago: CHICAGO,IL - Google Maps

Houston: Houston,tx - Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.010568&z=17

Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
Thats because up until that Airport was built, it was a redneck east texas town.

Humble has portions of "country", but nothing about this area is redneck anymore.
YouTube - humble high kids dancing (My nephew and his girlfriend made this video a couple years ago)
It feels pretty urban out here....hahahaha

Id say you are right though, some parts feel very east texas. But once you hit Will Clayton along 59...that feeling is over.

in 15-20 years, i can see the Humble area have a heavy urban feel. it seems to be the direction the City of Humble wants to anyways.

on another note, this area is one of the top areas for Middle Class Blacks and Middle Class hispanics in Harris County. I saw a study down this past year that showed Spring and Humble areas being in the top 3 in African-American growth.
Well yeah, I know it's not an actual hick town (although you will find some hicks here and there in North Houston). Humble has pretty much become your everyday middle class area. Some really nice neighborhoods and some not-so-nice neighborhoods. I wouldn't say it's exactly headed to being anything urban though. I mean, the area is highly suburban. The downtown is a little interesting place, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ Watch it Matt, your comments could be interpreted as racist.
Uh, hello, look at who you're quoting lol.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:41 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've heard people state that when you're in the midst of downtown Houston; it reminds them of Chicago.

I can see it:

Chicago: CHICAGO,IL - Google Maps

Houston: Houston,tx - Google Maps

Houston,tx - Google Maps
Well no offense, jluke, but even I can see the differences between the two. I do see where you were going with it, though. DT Houston makes me think more of Los Angeles (yes), ONLY in the sense that the district is rather plain and small and there isn't much to do there.

What I've known is that the feeling of being in a downtown like Chicago's is it seeming like the city never ends. You can stand on any random street and see that the buildings keep going and going. Meanwhile, in downtown Houston, you can easily see where the density just stops.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ Watch it Matt, your comments could be interpreted as racist.

By your standards, The Parks Mall is about as "ghetto" as the Houston Galleria and Katy Mills.
He is racist. He has made this very clear before.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

I took what he was saying as from some angles, Houston looks very continuous like Chicago in length. Also, From the North, Houston's downtown doesn't look as dense. From every other angle though, you really do see the density of downtown. Ride down 59 and you will see the density off the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City