Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I took what he was saying as from some angles, Houston looks very continuous like Chicago in length. Also, From the North, Houston's downtown doesn't look as dense. From every other angle though, you really do see the density of downtown. Ride down 59 and you will see the density off the highway.
you are casting your pearls before swine. His number one job on City Data has been to put down Houston so any comment that slightly portrays Houston in a good light he is gonna poo on it.

You say TMC is the biggest Biomedical research Complex in the world he will say that other cities have lots of hospitals.

You will say that Houston has dense pockets up to 20K ppsm he will say that Manhatten is a lot higher

You say From the highways Houston looks a lot bigger than it actually is, he will say driving threw on Richmond is still suburban looking so Houston cannot feel bigger than it really is

He is the king of pointing out irrelevant matters

Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM

209 posts, read 524,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Well yeah, I know it's not an actual hick town (although you will find some hicks here and there in North Houston). Humble has pretty much become your everyday middle class area. Some really nice neighborhoods and some not-so-nice neighborhoods. I wouldn't say it's exactly headed to being anything urban though. I mean, the area is highly suburban. The downtown is a little interesting place, though.

Uh, hello, look at who you're quoting lol.
It is suburbanized, especially east of wilson rd, but the city of humble wants to be "rice village" in coming years.-Which won't happen. I think Humble will look like your North West houston 290 north of 610. not really urban, but highly populated Have to do something about the rampant crime first though.

The area has experienced a lot of growth from your urban families. I remember in the 80's, Humble-Aldine-Spring felt like the sticks....not anymore.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
It is suburbanized, especially east of wilson rd, but the city of humble wants to be "rice village" in coming years.-Which won't happen. I think Humble will look like your North West houston 290 north of 610. not really urban, but highly populated Have to do something about the rampant crime first though.

The area has experienced a lot of growth from your urban families. I remember in the 80's, Humble-Aldine-Spring felt like the sticks....not anymore.
Then again, if the Woodlands can do it, why not Humble? Not sure how soon in the future this could be possible, but with the right planning and direction in place. I can see some type of "new urbanist" or town centers in the Humble area. Greenspoint's good days are probably behind it, and North Houston seems largely ignored due to it being such an underdeveloped and lower class area (save for a few pockets of wealthier neighborhoods).

Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you are casting your pearls before swine. His number one job on City Data has been to put down Houston so any comment that slightly portrays Houston in a good light he is gonna poo on it.

You say TMC is the biggest Biomedical research Complex in the world he will say that other cities have lots of hospitals.

You will say that Houston has dense pockets up to 20K ppsm he will say that Manhatten is a lot higher

You say From the highways Houston looks a lot bigger than it actually is, he will say driving threw on Richmond is still suburban looking so Houston cannot feel bigger than it really is

Have you looked in the mirror lately? You are guilty of the same exact transgressions...

Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Have you looked in the mirror lately? You are guilty of the same exact transgressions...
Show me one.

Lol, you probably don't even know what I am talking about and didn't read my post properly

Old 04-20-2011, 04:21 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
What did I miss?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Actually no, am just a voice of reality at times when claims are made that really have have no relevance or support. And the question posed HTown is, does Houston feel bigger than it is; my belief is no, you can believe otherwise but neither opinion is a truth. And as usual HTown you continue to fail to see the forrest among any of the trees; a typical day on CD

Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM

209 posts, read 524,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually no, am just a voice of reality at times when claims are made that really have have no relevance or support. And the question posed HTown is, does Houston feel bigger than it is; my belief is no, you can believe otherwise but neither opinion is a truth. And as usual HTown you continue to fail to see the forrest among any of the trees; a typical day on CD
Dude...you are a Houston hater through and through.

Truth of the matter is, Houston is a city a LOT of Americans are going to calling home in the next 10-15 year.

You don't know anything about this city, your experiences don't even scratch its surface.

We are an up and coming city, that isn't going to be moving southward on that population list anytime soon. So get used to us being on top

Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 PM

312 posts, read 436,686 times
Well with all due respect I read the thread this one is a spin off to, and some of you Houston boosters really take reality too far and stretch them. I mean seriously some of you believe its a metro of 10 million? Really? Have any of you set foot in a 10 million + metro? Oh wait there are only 2 in USA, New York and Los Angeles, and Chicago if you want to give it the pass to join the party 10 years ahead of schedule.

Houston's big and massive, its great, and a nice city and yes it feels larger than Atlanta and Dallas for what its worth. I like it, but really? Do some of you ever travel? You're getting to the level of San Francisco, Washington DC, Atlanta, and Seattle boosters now on how much you boost and that's not a good thing.

kidphilly hasn't bashed Houston in this thread, he's just been bringing you down to reason that your metro feels like a 6 million person metro. Guess what? IT IS A 6 MILLION PERSON METRO! Accept it and move on yo!!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The point was not whether you agreed or not. You feel that it doesn't feel bigger then just say that. Where I had an issue was when we were talking about off highways, you were still about downtowns and vibrancy and all that nonsense unrelated to the highways. That was my point. Whenever we are talking about a specific issue about Houston you have to bring up a silly side point about Houston totally unrelated to what we are talking about at the time just to bring Houston down. You have a notorious record of doing that on CD.

I don't know if it is just to get rep points from Houston haters or something, it must be you have a band of cronies who rep you whenever you mention Houston's downtown or something because you bring it up religiously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City