Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times

Advertisements

To say that in some areas Houston feels like it could be almost twice as large as Atlanta just doesn't sound all that ridiculous to me. YMMV.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Depends where you're driving in Atlanta, if you're on I-85 from Downtown to Gwinnett or I-75 from H-J Airport through Marietta, Atlanta feels every bit the size of a city anchoring a 5m+ metro area. If you're circling the 285 Perimeter many areas feel like you're not in a major metro area, alot of that is due to ATL is nestled in hills and forests.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Atlanta and DFW are just built different... Prairies and hills in DFW and bigger hills and trees in ATL...Same hot humid climate...similar weather patterns...different soil and vegetation..."Sister metro's"...Refreshing to see inland metro's prosper the way these two metros have....The most unique thing about ATL is those winding roads through the thick forest and those steep hills (The older homes are beautiful)...DFW the variations of wooded areas, prairies, hills, and lakes.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
even to the point of saying it feels like 10 million+, cmon now even you guys must admit that is ridiculous.
again that is not what they are saying, they are saying some areas make it feel that way

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Yet for the most part you defend his every word, on another note weren't you one of the ones who said mexicans like doing yard work? You shouldn't throw stones in glass houses for you are as guilty as he is though you come off more stereotypical than racist.
OK, I apologize for suggest Mexicans are hard-workers and like hard work as opposed to labeling them criminals and thugs.

I don't defend him; I may agree with somethings he say, but I don't defend him.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 PM

617 posts, read 1,424,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
OK, I apologize for suggest Mexicans are hard-workers and like hard work as opposed to labeling them criminals and thugs.

I don't defend him; I may agree with somethings he say, but I don't defend him.
LOL, OK jluke you just proved my point once again.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 PM

312 posts, read 437,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I guess we probably should not put an exact number on it, but all I'm really saying is that Houston feels FAR larger than just 5 million+. Atleast to me. I mean, c'mon, I don't see how anyone can drive along the freeways--especially on the west side--and not feel like the city seems to go on forever.

Kidphilly isn't the voice of anything but his own personal opinion.
Oh I know.

I'm not saying it feels small and does feel very large, but its just not as large as New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago though. That's all I'm getting at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I-20 has continuous development (not dense by any means) from around 35W in South Fort Worth through Hwy 360 in South Arlington. Going east beyond 360 to around Hwy 67 in Duncanville, there is very sparse development and the terrain is very hilly. The lack of development makes this stretch one of my favorite drives in the Metroplex, I find it relatively scenic. Hope it stays that way for a long time.
I agree, I personally hate sprawl it destroys the habitats and homes of animals and organisms all over and misplaces them. I hate it but it exists and it should be in moderation, meaning no more than it needs to.

I'm sad when Houston tears down trees for cookie cutter neighborhoods, and its my hope that it never becomes continuously developed from Houston to Dallas or Houston to either San Antonio or Austin. It would destroy a lot of habitats in the process.

You're right, scenic areas with hills and mountains shouldn't be paved over for new strip malls and cookie cutter places, there need to be more scenic areas of the city left to enjoy.

For Austin, its saddening how the area between San Antonio and Austin is filling up and being torn over for roadways and parking lots and trash. Houston does a good job towards the north where there are some hills and near Lake Livingston, its done a great job not sprawling and destroying those and its Texas's 2nd largest lake, its great for recreation.

I think prairie's with very little amount of tree's should be developed if near a big city, that's where they should build and "sprawl" where it cant affect the environment as much, but even then in moderation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That guy has been trolling Houston threads since he joined here. I think it is bets to ignore him, he will go away after a while. You and SN are always going for the latter
What are you talking about? I haven't been trolling Houston since I joined. Why would you say that?

Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well maybe I misjudged where I was when I was traveling on I-20. But you are right. it is not dense whatsoever and from I-20, you wouldn't believe you're in a large metropolitan area. Now I-30 is a different story.
I-30 is probably worse than I-20, unless you are near either DT Dallas or FT Worth.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post

What are you talking about? I haven't been trolling Houston since I joined. Why would you say that?
You had two pages of posts in your profile, half of the ones on the first page were about Houston and all of them were negative.

That is what trolling is. You make an account, focus on a city, and slam it incessantly.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 PM

312 posts, read 437,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You had two pages of posts in your profile, half of the ones on the first page were about Houston and all of them were negative.

That is what trolling is. You make an account, focus on a city, and slam it incessantly.
I haven't gone around and slammed Houston. Go out and find posts where I've put it down because I sure haven't. You don't even know what my feelings towards Houston consist of, how can you say I "slam it incessantly"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City