Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Why do big cities always love to pick on the smaller ones? Are we trying to compensate for something here we should all know about?

"Big D" is not a very original nick name & the word Dallas sounds more feminine than masculine to tell you the truth.
Well, I certainly don't have a problem with small towns; just a few obnoxious and ignorant small town people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
hell i call Dallas Yankeeland.
You're thinking of Collin County.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:58 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Uh...yeah, sure go to LA or NYC & ask somebody on the subway what Big D means or is. You'll get plenty of blanks stares.
I don't know about that. That's Dallas' nickname. You hear it on ESPN when they do highlights of DFW Sports teams. They're in NYC and LA...

Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Is Houston known for being a Southern strong hold that it's appropriate you'd call Dallas Yankeeland? Houston is a Texas city. Texans aren't stuck on that Civil War stuff. They should be stuck on the Alamo. Leave all the Yankee this and Yankee that stuff to Louisiana, they have more of an ante-bellum gripe than Texas does. Houston is filled with transplants also anyway. Texan 1st, Southerner at a distant 2nd.
Well that's fine for polo, but you don't speak for everyone else. I've heard countless Texas talk about Yankee this and that.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:49 AM

I'm still waiting on Metro Matt to break down and share that terrible experience he had in Dallas that soured him against the city.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Well that's fine for polo, but you don't speak for everyone else. I've heard countless Texas talk about Yankee this and that.
In my experience; its always been split. Southerners don't claim us as part of the south and many texans don't consider themselves southerners. When it comes to Texas; there really is no correct answer.

I remember in Houston in a black barbershop; they were debating about Houston being southern or southwestern. Some brought up the comparions to Dallas and Atlanta. I remember once dude saying "I been living in Houston my whole life thinking I lived in the south; than I went to Atlanta and discovered what the real south was. Houston is southwest and Dallas midwest". smh

All in all; we're Texans first.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
In my experience; its always been split. Southerners don't claim us as part of the south and many texans don't consider themselves southerners. When it comes to Texas; there really is no correct answer.

I remember in Houston in a black barbershop; they were debating about Houston being southern or southwestern. Some brought up the comparions to Dallas and Atlanta. I remember once dude saying "I been living in Houston my whole life thinking I lived in the south; than I went to Atlanta and discovered what the real south was. Houston is southwest and Dallas midwest". smh

All in all; we're Texans first.
Well, just like I told polo....

Everyone will have their own observations. But I stand by what I've known for all of my life, and that's that there's nothing keeping Texas from being the south. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but as an original native of the Savannah River Valley now living in Texas, I know what I know. And no one will be able to tell me any different.

And one thing I know is that you can't simply group the state as one. "Texas is Texas" isn't an acceptable answer because large parts of the state have very little in common with each other.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:37 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Well, just like I told polo....

Everyone will have their own observations. But I stand by what I've known for all of my life, and that's that there's nothing keeping Texas from being the south. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but as an original native of the Savannah River Valley now living in Texas, I know what I know. And no one will be able to tell me any different.

And one thing I know is that you can't simply group the state as one. "Texas is Texas" isn't an acceptable answer because large parts of the state have very little in common with each other.
Considering Texas is geographically large and situated amongst multiple cultural regions; I see why not. Sure, the vast majority of the state is southern influenced, but by simply stated 'Texas is the south" is ignoring another signifcant portion of the state that is not.

I don't consider Texas a southern state. I'll settle for western south or south central. However, south just doesn't fit the overall Texas image, culture and history.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:37 AM

And I'm sorry but "Houston" and "southwest" do not even belong in the same sentence. One would probably have to have never seen the actual southwest to call any part of eastern Texas that. Visit Phoenix and then visit Atlanta, then tell me which city Houston is more like.

And who talks about stuff like that in the barbershop? lol

Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Uh...yeah, sure go to LA or NYC & ask somebody on the subway what Big D means or is. You'll get plenty of blanks stares.

Actually I disagree; most people even if they do not reference Dallas as the Big D would pretty much immeadiately know what you are talking about and that it would be Dallas; the Big D has always been Dallas

Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Considering Texas is geographically large and situated amongst multiple cultural regions; I see why not. Sure, the vast majority of the state is southern influenced, but by simply stated 'Texas is the south" is ignoring another signifcant portion of the state that is not.
I can't think of any large area of Texas where there's NO trace of any southernness whatsoever. Hell, going west, you're still in the bible belt all the way until New Mexico, and going south, it doesn't start to dissipate until you're headed near the RGV.

TexasReb must have explained this a thousand times; in depth, mind you, but it seems like people still don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City