Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Ok let just jump right through and throw the straw mans. I was pointing similar situation on different scale it's call a Analogy. But I’m going to go though this.

DFW is a metro but I did a state scale with Georgia, Sandy Spring will always be in Atlanta shadow, Macon has it own metro, it doesn’t matter that Sandy Spring out business and may out grow Macon. Sandy Spring is an edge city for Atlanta. Like Irving and etc are edge city of Dallas. People don’t credit those cities they credit Dallas still. Arlington is the middle child of both Dallas and Fort Worth. People in DFW don’t throw Arlington under the rug like that, Arlington is Arlington.

But people generally have poor geography skill and don’t care to reminder maps like that, real world, I know people who work in the Las Colinas area literally thought they were in Dallas city limits for a while. often blur those cities Dallas even DFW residents. Mean while DFW residents are not going to mistake Arlington attractions in another city. The second thing is edge cities are economically important, but does that change there an edge city? no they will be view as a edge city.
No and no. Arlington is in middle of DFW, Arlington also have a few other attraction beside the cowboy studium and before it came. And that old studium in irving was nothing compatible to the attraction the new one has in Arlington, Super bowl, Allstar game and etc so people generally didn’t that stadium in same regard. the “culturally significant” thing goes with Arlington being the third city.
I wouldn't be too bold about the bold LOL 100%. And not everything is about traveling, the average joe living in Irving doesn't know Irving is ahead of Arlington in bussiness. It wouldn't matter if Arlington was a 95% bedroom town your missing what I'm saying.
People generally don’t read map like that, they don’t know employment statistics like that, they just live lies. Because Arlington get way more attention in the DFW area the average Joe would put Arlington above Irving and etc.

Again DFW is a metro but I did a metro to national scale, I was pointing similar situation on different scales it's call a Analogy. DT Miami corporate base isn't that strong does that matter? no, the average American won’t even know where? and what is? Tyson's Corner to compare office space with DT Miami. The end results is DT Miami is going to be view with higher regard. On a smaller scale just with in DFW that what going on with Arlington to Irving, Plano and etc.
I know what in hell an analogy is - comparing cities that aren't even in the same metro area is a poor analogy in this instance if we're comparing Arlington to other cities in the Metroplex. Comparing Tysons Corner to DT Miami makes no sense because you're comparing an edge city that is not all that well-known outside of DC or the NE to a major city that is known worldwide. Now if we compared Miami to Miami Beach, that's a different story.

Quote:
And your little joke more so reflects you then me. I said, I love city data, I can careless if yall like or dislike Arlington. I just love the fact yall are agreeing with each other, with contradicting comments. And someone just rep me with a nasty comment. All smiles
http://briteidea.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/i-aint-even-mad.jpg%253Fw%253D270%2526h%253D204 (broken link)

J/K...Sort of...

I'm here all night folks!

Dramatic much, aren't we? I know the Internet is Serious Business with some folks, but if you think I care about people playing armchair therapist because I posted a sarcastic jpeg, you are sadly mistaken.

People won't necessarily come to the same conclusion about why they like or dislike Arlington. People have their reasons. I have had fun at Six Flags there and chilled with friends there, but my reasons for being indifferent towards Aggtown are going to be different from someone else.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Arlington sucks no joke. And I had to laugh earlier when someone put that quote from whatever whacky mayor at the time was running this city. "We're no one's suburb." Well then stop acting like one.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

It didn't. Unfortunately, Fort Worth didn't get the shine it deserved for sundance square and people were saying how much Dallas sucked even though the game was in Arlington.
I meant that Arlington might've helped its own reputation. Atleast made itself a brand.

People have no one to blame but themselves for thinking Dallas sucks. You should have figured out some time during your visit that the stadium is in Arlington, and Arlington clearly is not the city of Dallas. Losers.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Arlington is weird. You have Six Flags, UT-A, numerous chain restaurants, strip malls, strip clubs, apartment complexes and two pro stadiums. That's it. There's no sense of community or cohesion and no real identity. It feels like a working class suburb that has some good entertainment venues.
That's because Arlington is a suburb of Fort Worth.

No really, I would much rather live in Funkytown than "Ag town" as they call it.

Love it how those two cities try to be cool anyways by coming up with these nicknames.

Same with "Big D".

Really? Is that the best you can come up with?

Most people in the US outside of Texas would probably think that's Denver.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Who cares what people think Big D means outside of the Big D. As long as we understand each other here in DFW there is no problem

Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Who cares what people think Big D means outside of the Big D. As long as we understand each other here in DFW there is no problem
I'm goin through the Big D & don't mean Dallas.

YouTube - Mark Chesnutt - Goin' Through The Big D

Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

No really, I would much rather live in Funkytown than "Ag town" as they call it.

Love it how those two cities try to be cool anyways by coming up with these nicknames.

Same with "Big D".

Quit lying. Most people know Big D is Dallas. Never heard that regarding Denver. Always heard mile high city. You go to extreme lengths to hate on Dallas. I am also sure there is a reason why Fort Worth has that nickname.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:27 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:

Same with "Big D".

Yeah nicknames can be fickle. It's kind of like how most people think the 'Rose Capital of the World' is Portland, OR and have never heard of Tyler.

PS.. I've rarely heard anyone from Dallas or the Metroplex refer to Dallas as Big D, it's mainly used by outsiders.

Last edited by First24; 04-22-2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
The only insobordinate suburb in Tarrant county that doesn't seem to know there place is Southlake. Fort Worth annex all that land up there and put several big ass water tower that read "Fort Worth" to send a message to residents of the area. Other than that one "problem" that has been resolved Fort Worth has pretty much got Tarrant County in check.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Quit lying. Most people know Big D is Dallas. Never heard that regarding Denver. Always heard mile high city. You go to extreme lengths to hate on Dallas. I am also sure there is a reason why Fort Worth has that nickname.

The Big D is Dallas, at least that is what I would I would think of if I heard that.

on the Rose Capital, Pasadena CA would jump to my mind; actually it is the only place that comes to mind with that name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City