Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Advertisements

Didn't the former mayor of Arlington, Richard Greene always say, "We're nobody's damn suburb!" all the time? There are people who seem to think Arlington is some sort of big league city when it's clearly not. It's the "Mississauga syndrome" all over again.

From an economic standpoint, I still say that Plano outshines Arlington, and it's only smaller by 100K people. I could easily see Plano surpassing Arlington in population in 5-10 years. Arlington had the forsight to agressively annex parts of Tarrant County. If say, Pantego did the same thing 50 years ago, we'd be talking about the Mid-Cities of Pantego, Arlington, and GP.

I know that there are several recreational attractions in the city, but that's more of a result of geography and annexation. If Grand Prairie had annexed the area west of 360 where Six Flags and the stadiums are, we'd be talking about Grand Prairie instead. But that's neither here nor there.

I see there are some people mad about our opinions of Arlington, oh well. I know there are nice parts of the city, but my opinion still stands.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
But at the same time, posters like kdogg and chiatldal ( I think) are actually from DFW, so they're more aware of how the region views Arlington. I'm only going by what I know of the town and what I've heard other folks from DFW say; that Agg-town is pretty much the third city. Hell, the Superbowl probably helped its reputation even more. Technically, it may not be as "important" as other suburbs, but it's like DFW's playground, and it still stands as a brand of its own.

It would be great to see some urbanization going on in Arlington. That would really change people's perceptions of the area.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm not disputing that Arlington is viewed as the "third city" of the metroplex. After all, the Metroplex is offically known as the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington MSA by the US Census. The city has a good location between the two principle cities and is a major entertainment center in the area.

However, I was giving my viewpoint on what "tier" it belongs in - which is subjective.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Fair enough.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:32 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Arlington is weird. You have Six Flags, UT-A, numerous chain restaurants, strip malls, strip clubs, apartment complexes and two pro stadiums. That's it. There's no sense of community or cohesion and no real identity. It feels like a working class suburb that has some good entertainment venues.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:45 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Arlington is weird. You have Six Flags, UT-A, numerous chain restaurants, strip malls, strip clubs, apartment complexes and two pro stadiums. That's it. There's no sense of community or cohesion and no real identity. It feels like a working class suburb that has some good entertainment venues.
Right. Without the Six Flags and two pro stadiums like I mentioned earlier, it's just like every other post WW2 suburb. Nothing really fascinating about Arlington at all. Especially to visit.

Quote:
Hell, the Superbowl probably helped its reputation even more
It didn't. Unfortunately, Fort Worth didn't get the shine it deserved for sundance square and people were saying how much Dallas sucked even though the game was in Arlington.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
I live in Georgia now Georgia is a state but I read in some thread of posters talking about how Sandy Spring can pass up Macon GA. Sandy Spring is home to most of the Perimeter center, regardless of that it’s not going to out brand Macon, Sandy Spring is a edge city it’s Atlanta shadow, to make it more ironic the Perimeter center out grew downtown Atlanta and it’s the largest office market in Georgia. Doesn’t that matter? No, it‘s not going to out shine DT Atlanta or little Macon never the less. Irving, Plano, Richardson and etc are edge city to Dallas you can talk about those cities all day long again many folks in DFW itself thinks the Telecom Corridor, and Las Colinas is in the city of Dallas. People in DFW Arlington is Arlington. Seriously if you live in DFW and believe those cities gets a much attention as Arlington I would have to ask what drugs are you doing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I'm not disputing that Arlington is viewed as the "third city" of the metroplex. After all, the Metroplex is offically known as the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington MSA by the US Census. The city has a good location between the two principle cities and is a major entertainment center in the area.

However, I was giving my viewpoint on what "tier" it belongs in - which is subjective.
That is fair, but my Tire was base on attention, perception and culturally how the these cities are view by DFW residents. Lets talk real world, do you think the average Joe in DFW even know Irving, Plano, Richardson even has a larger corporate base then Arlington? Does Tyson corner get more shine then DT Miami? The only thing that’s going to come off is Arlington is larger and more cultural significant and but more people work in Irving, Plano, Richardson and etc. That why I put Arlington a tire above these cities.

But I agree with some of yall criticism of the city transportation and they need to build some type of skyline, but that still doesn’t change anything. I don’t like Macaroni and cheese but I not going to say it’s not a commonly eaten dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
And also I see the hate Arlington comments “There's no sense of community or cohesion and no real identity.” LMAO you don’t even believe that your self I not even going to argue. I mean Why? One end posters are saying Arlington residents are too big head and the other end there no sense of community or cohesion and no real identity. I love city data.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

I live in Georgia now Georgia is a state but I read in some thread of posters talking about how Sandy Spring can pass up Macon GA. Sandy Spring is home to most of the Perimeter center, regardless of that it’s not going to out brand Macon, Sandy Spring is a edge city it’s Atlanta shadow, to make it more ironic the Perimeter center out grew downtown Atlanta and it’s the largest office market in Georgia. Doesn’t that matter? No, it‘s not going to out shine DT Atlanta or little Macon never the less. Irving, Plano, Richardson and etc are edge city to Dallas you can talk about those cities all day long again many folks in DFW itself thinks the Telecom Corridor, and Las Colinas is in the city of Dallas. People in DFW Arlington is Arlington. Seriously if you live in DFW and believe those cities gets a much attention as Arlington I would have to ask what drugs are you doing?

That is fair, but my Tire was base on attention, perception and culturally how the these cities are view by DFW residents. Lets talk real world, do you think the average Joe in DFW even know Irving, Plano, Richardson even has a larger corporate base then Arlington? Does Tyson corner get more shine then DT Miami? The only thing that’s going to come off is Arlington is larger and more cultural significant and but more people work in Irving, Plano, Richardson and etc. That why I put Arlington a tire above these cities.
Macon isn't in Metro Atlanta if we're going by tiers within a particular metro area. There is no way that Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Perimeter Center would outshine DT Atlanta or the City of Atlanta, but I will say that it's a 2nd-tier area in the metro Atlanta.

People thinking that the Telecom Corridor, Las Colinas, or Plano are a part of the City of Dallas need a lesson on geography and reading maps. People's geographical ignorance has nothing to do with my mere opinion. I do understand that Arlington is the third city in the metroplex, but again, my opinion is from the other cities mentioned being more economically important.

Was Irving more "culturally significant" when the Cowboys played there for 38 years before they moved to JerryWorld in Arlington? Is Irving any less significant now?

If the average joe we're speaking of works in Plano, Irving, Richardson, or has travelings and business dealings in those cities, I'm pretty sure they'll know. Arlington isn't necessarily a 100% bedroom community, but it isn't where hundreds of thousands of people are coming in and out on a daily basis to work either.

Tyson's Corner, Virginia is nowhere near Miami, Florida. However, in the DC area, it's fairly well-known to the people who work there or have dealings there, since it's one of the larger employment centers in the area besides The District. Does that mean it gets more "shine" than DT DC? Absolutely not - it's still a 2nd-tier suburban edge city.

Quote:
And also I see the hate Arlington comments “There's no sense of community or cohesion and no real identity.” LMAO you don’t even believe that your self I not even going to argue. I mean Why? One end posters are saying Arlington residents are too big head and the other end there no sense of community or cohesion and no real identity. I love city data.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Ok let just jump right through and throw the straw mans. I was pointing similar situation on different scale it's call a Analogy. But I’m going to go though this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Macon isn't in Metro Atlanta if we're going by tiers within a particular metro area. There is no way that Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Perimeter Center would outshine DT Atlanta or the City of Atlanta, but I will say that it's a 2nd-tier area in the metro Atlanta.
DFW is a metro but I did a state scale with Georgia, Sandy Spring will always be in Atlanta shadow, Macon has it own metro, it doesn’t matter that Sandy Spring out business and may out grow Macon. Sandy Spring is an edge city for Atlanta. Like Irving and etc are edge city of Dallas. People don’t credit those cities they credit Dallas still. Arlington is the middle child of both Dallas and Fort Worth. People in DFW don’t throw Arlington under the rug like that, Arlington is Arlington.
Quote:
People thinking that the Telecom Corridor, Las Colinas, or Plano are a part of the City of Dallas need a lesson on geography and reading maps. People's geographical ignorance has nothing to do with my mere opinion. I do understand that Arlington is the third city in the metroplex, but again, my opinion is from the other cities mentioned being more economically important.
But people generally have poor geography skill and don’t care to reminder maps like that, real world, I know people who work in the Las Colinas area literally thought they were in Dallas city limits for a while. often blur those cities Dallas even DFW residents. Mean while DFW residents are not going to mistake Arlington attractions in another city. The second thing is edge cities are economically important, but does that change there an edge city? no they will be view as a edge city.
Quote:
Was Irving more "culturally significant" when the Cowboys played there for 38 years before they moved to JerryWorld in Arlington? Is Irving any less significant now?
No and no. Arlington is in middle of DFW, Arlington also have a few other attraction beside the cowboy studium and before it came. And that old studium in irving was nothing compatible to the attraction the new one has in Arlington, Super bowl, Allstar game and etc so people generally didn’t that stadium in same regard. the “culturally significant” thing goes with Arlington being the third city.
Quote:
If the average joe we're speaking of works in Plano, Irving, Richardson, or has travelings and business dealings in those cities, I'm pretty sure they'll know. Arlington isn't necessarily a 100% bedroom community, but it isn't where hundreds of thousands of people are coming in and out on a daily basis to work either.
I wouldn't be too bold about the bold LOL 100%. And not everything is about traveling, the average joe living in Irving doesn't know Irving is ahead of Arlington in bussiness. It wouldn't matter if Arlington was a 95% bedroom town your missing what I'm saying.
People generally don’t read map like that, they don’t know employment statistics like that, they just live lies. Because Arlington get way more attention in the DFW area the average Joe would put Arlington above Irving and etc.
Quote:
Tyson's Corner, Virginia is nowhere near Miami, Florida. However, in the DC area, it's fairly well-known to the people who work there or have dealings there, since it's one of the larger employment centers in the area besides The District. Does that mean it gets more "shine" than DT DC? Absolutely not - it's still a 2nd-tier suburban edge city.
Again DFW is a metro but I did a metro to national scale, I was pointing similar situation on different scales it's call a Analogy. DT Miami corporate base isn't that strong does that matter? no, the average American won’t even know where? and what is? Tyson's Corner to compare office space with DT Miami. The end results is DT Miami is going to be view with higher regard. On a smaller scale just with in DFW that what going on with Arlington to Irving, Plano and etc.

Quote:

And your little joke more so reflects you then me. I said, I love city data, I can careless if yall like or dislike Arlington. I just love the fact yall are agreeing with each other, with contradicting comments. And someone just rep me with a nasty comment. All smiles

Old 04-22-2011, 03:30 PM

294 posts, read 781,911 times
Atlanta as a Metro, does not feel like over 5 million, IMO. However, the City of Atlanta looks and feels MUCH bigger than it's numbers.
Dallas, to me, is opposite. The City feels smaller while the Metor feels at least it's size or larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City