Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Ok this becoming a huge straw man, I said if you look at all MSAs or urban areas “it doesn’t matter” if you stop at 1,800 sq mi. Atlanta is one the top 10 most dense simple and you can‘t argue against that. Everyone listen clear I never said It’s the most dense obviously not, I said Atlanta is 10 top, the reason why Atlanta drops is because of a 8,000 sq mi MSA, when majority of that stays in less than 1,800 sq mi and that is one of most dense regions of the country. But instead of any posters agreeing with fact they straw man as if I said Atlanta dosen't sprawl.

Originally I brought this up because of the Charlotte posters, many can view Atlanta as sprawling more than Charlotte, ATL metro is more then double Charlottes metro area size. And the poster tried to exploit that, by making it seem that Atlanta core is just like Charlotte and Atlanta spreads across 8,000 sq mi equally. When Atlanta is more then twice the population in half Charlotte’s MSA. Then some poster said Atlanta feel like a 3m metro. So I told them all 3m metros are from 4,000 to 7,000 sq mi Atlanta has that 1,800 sq mi just for a comparison.

PS I'm not aruging if Atlanta sprawls I said, you can call Atlanta the post child for sprawl but ironically you have to say in 1,800 sq mi Atlanta is one dense regions. Something that half the posters that responed to me dodged to agreed.
Exactly. It's like talking to a brick wall because I don't think people really undestand. This whole "the Atlanta Metro is less dense than every other metro the farther you get out blah blah blah" means literally nothing. Why? Because most people in Metro Atlanta do not live in that expanded area outside the core. On paper, we look "worse" due to sprawl because of how many counties there are in Georgia and surround the core of Atlanta.

It is supposed that this is some sort of problem worse than in any other city, but it is isn't. The majority of the people in Metro Atlanta live in one of four counties. To make this easier, I will post a pie chart that has been going around the Atlanta board the last few days to berate all of those exurban counties about just how much they do not count:

Is it becoming clear now? If you combined the populations all of those counties together, they would still only amount to a fraction of the biggest four.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM

617 posts, read 1,424,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
This is Kidphilly you are talking about. Have you seen how idiotic his nitpicking gets sometimes? He will argue verifiable things but change the metrics to fit his argument.

lol, you were just doing it touting the loaded poll results. lmao.
Look Htown I like CD just as much as the next guy, but when someone is puting up 70-100 responses a day it has crossed over from a "hobby/killing time" type of thing to straight up obsession. Why don't you go outside and breathe that nice swampy/muggy air outside your residence, or "walk"(sarcastic smile) and take your cities' extensive rail network to see what the other 10+ million people in your metro are doing?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Why don't you go outside and breathe that nice swampy/muggy air outside your residence, or "walk"(sarcastic smile) and take your cities' extensive rail network to see what the other 10+ million people in your metro are doing?
I am outside. LOL your jealous obsession with Houston is so sad dude. My air is far from smoggy.

But I can see why Houston is always on your mind, it is much better that Dallas.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I am outside. LOL your jealous obsession with Houston is so sad dude. My air is far from smoggy.

But I can see why Houston is always on your mind, it is much better that Dallas.
City wise yes you guys are 4th largest, metro wise which is what really counts you guys are 6th behind us #4, and #5 philly, I like to bring you Houstonians back to earth, let me ask you something Htown when people think of texas what is the first city that comes to mind? BTW what is there to do in Houston that people around the country know about? I have no clue what you're talking about me being jealous of a city playing second fiddle to Dallas, maybe one day Houston will surpass Dallas as the city to visit in TX but as of now you guys are behind us, San Antonio, and you may even be behind Austin, albeit this is a common conversation people have when they are about to visit Houston, "Hey kids pack up, we are going to Houston!", kids "YAY! Wait what is there to do in Houston?"

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Exactly. It's like talking to a brick wall because I don't think people really undestand. This whole "the Atlanta Metro is less dense than every other metro the farther you get out blah blah blah" means literally nothing. Why? Because most people in Metro Atlanta do not live in that expanded area outside the core. On paper, we look "worse" due to sprawl because of how many counties there are in Georgia and surround the core of Atlanta.

It is supposed that this is some sort of problem worse than in any other city, but it is isn't. The majority of the people in Metro Atlanta live in one of four counties. To make this easier, I will post a pie chart that has been going around the Atlanta board the last few days to berate all of those exurban counties about just how much they do not count:

Is it becoming clear now? If you combined the populations all of those counties together, they would still only amount to a fraction of the biggest four.
In urban areas, you need consistent density (not sure what the figure is, but I'm sure someone knows) for the area to be counted in. All people are saying is that Atlanta does the worst out of metro areas its size. So what if most of the population lives in the core counties. Atlanta is no different than most cities if you look at it like that. That doesn't change the fact that Atlanta is still the most sprawled and least dense out of metro areas its size. Look at the link I posted from the ARC.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
City wise yes you guys are 4th largest, metro wise which is what really counts you guys are 6th behind us #4, and #5 philly, I like to bring you Houstonians back to earth, let me ask you something Htown when people think of texas what is the first city that comes to mind? BTW what is there to do in Houston that people around the country know about? I have no clue what you're talking about me being jealous of a city playing second fiddle to Dallas, maybe one day Houston will surpass Dallas as the city to visit in TX but as of now you guys are behind us, San Antonio, and you may even be behind Austin, albeit this is a common conversation people have when they are about to visit Houston, "Hey kids pack up, we are going to Houston!", kids "YAY! Wait what is there to do in Houston?"
everyone knows that Houston passed Philly a month after the census was taken last april. what a dumb argument.

plus Dallas metro division is only 4.2M. sorry dude that is good enough for 10th place in the US.

I dunno what people think, but I tell you what, I would rather be an International city than to be though of as a cowboy town.

Have your cowboy town, we will take international. LMAO

Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
In urban areas, you need consistent density (not sure what the figure is, but I'm sure someone knows) for the area to be counted in.
1000 ppsm. really low actually. they should at least double it.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
everyone knows that Houston passed Philly a month after the census was taken last april. what a dumb argument.

plus Dallas metro division is only 4.2M. sorry dude that is good enough for 10th place in the US.

I dunno what people think, but I tell you what, I would rather be an International city than to be though of as a cowboy town.

Dallas metro division blah, blah, blah, you and I both know that DFW is one area so you can take that lame argument with someone else, as far as Houston being an internationally known city, you are kidding right? There are only a handful of cities in the U.S. known internationally and let me tell you Houston aint one of them, the only cities that are truly known globally are NYC, LA, Miami, and DC, sorry to burst your bubble Htown but your city is not really known outside of the U.S. in fact hasn't there been a thread already on this where Houston was ranked lower than Dallas

Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Dallas will always be second fiddle son. Soon it will be second fiddle in its own metro once FW passes it up, start handing out tax breaks and luring all the new companies to their side of the metro.

You know the FW side is more fun anyway. The Dallas side is all stuffy with wannbe millionaires and ladies with big purple hair (see you are not the only one who can repeat stupid stereotypes)

Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:

And HTown you should also know we are likely getting at least two counties and 550K and potentially a third county to go to a total of 750-800K added back - oddly if all come back we will overtake DFW on both MSA and CSA - but honestly that is really neither here nor there, these people have always been here and in a much smaller area than either of those two metros

and on your Metro division comment - what was the comment you just made a few minutes ago

Quote:
This is Kidphilly you are talking about. Have you seen how idiotic his nitpicking gets sometimes? He will argue verifiable things but change the metrics to fit his argument.
HTown that is the best part of you, you contradict yourself and change your story in matter of minutes...

You actually arent even worth debating, you rarely add any substance and continually change your story. One consistent theme though is your embrace of delusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City