Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
DFW may be one area because development is pretty much consistent, but it doesn't operate as one. It's still two different and distinct metro areas, with some overlap here and there. Just look at the jobs. The Dallas side gets all the new white collar jobs, while the Fort Worth side gets the blue collar jobs. It's still long distance to call from Dallas to Fort Worth and vice versa. If your zip code starts with "75---" you're on the Dallas side. If it starts with "76---", you're on the Fort Worth side.

Plenty of differences between the two still.

And as far as Houston being more internationally known....ever heard of the energy industry? Houston is so little known internationally that it has so few foreign consulates. You are so right.
DFW might be a bit polarized but it is still one metropolitan area just like the even more polarized Bay Area. What does it matter what types of jobs one city gets or zip codes they have, none of that matters.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
DFW might be a bit polarized but it is still one metropolitan area just like the even more polarized Bay Area. What does it matter what types of jobs one city gets or zip codes they have, none of that matters.
It shows the divide in DFW. They still function as two separate metro areas for the most part. There isn't much overlap if you don't have a job on the Dallas side, but live in the FW side (or vice versa). It's why Dallas feels smaller than Houston...because it is, even though the metro area is larger. And DFW is probably the most polarized metro. Only Los Angeles and Detroit have more jobs outside of Downtown than Dallas does.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 PM

66 posts, read 152,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
And DFW is probably the most polarized metro. Only Los Angeles and Detroit have more jobs outside of Downtown than Dallas does.

What do you mean that DFW is probably the "most polarized metro"?

Do you have some sort of data to back up this statement?

What are the metrics you are using to make such a claim??

And what data do you have that supports your claim that Dallas has more jobs outside its Downtown except only LA or Detroit?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit2 View Post

And what data do you have that supports your claim that Dallas has more jobs outside its Downtown except only LA or Detroit?
A map!?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit2 View Post

Why are you taking offense to that? Considering you live in DFW, you should know that it is extremely polarized. As for my source:

Quote:
Grading the region

The study’s co-author, Adie Tomer, said the Brookings research did not grade individual agencies on their performance. Instead, the research looks at how well urban areas have created transit options for their workers.

In North Texas as a whole, the answer is not very well. And the relatively sparse geographic coverage provided by DART and its two smaller counterparts is only part of the reason.

The share of jobs a typical commuter can reach by transit is much smaller here than elsewhere. That’s true in the area’s biggest cities as well as in its suburbs, the report showed.

In metro Houston, for instance, 30 percent of the region’s jobs are accessible by transit, compared with 19 percent in the Dallas area.

That’s true in part because Dallas-area jobs are more spread out than just about anywhere else in America. A 2009 study, also by Brookings, showed that 67 percent of all jobs in the Dallas metro area were located more than 10 miles from the downtown, a bigger share than anywhere in the U.S. besides Detroit and Los Angeles.

“Dallas faces really high levels of what we call job sprawl,” Tomer said. “That’s not conducive to providing transit service to people who want to get to work.”

But other areas with similar challenges have done much better at keeping transit an option for their workers, according to the report’s findings.

In Los Angeles, where jobs are more spread out than in Dallas, transit agencies have responded by locating rail or bus stops in nearly every neighborhood. Ninety-six percent of working-age residents live within three-quarters of a mile of a transit stop, the report showed.

Houston has tackled the problem differently. Residents there are slightly less likely to live near a transit stop than in the Dallas area. But Houston has ensured many more jobs are located near transit — which, Tomer said, is more important for commuters weighing whether to take transit.

“In Houston, the transit service is better coordinated with its housing and jobs,” Tomer said. “Simply put, they are doing a better job coordinating their development patterns with their infrastructure provision.”

Fewer options

The new data by Brookings shows that workers in North Texas who would like to commute by transit have fewer options to do so than just about anywhere else in the country.

Despite heavy spending on transit in North Texas, the percentage of workers who actually use buses or trains to get to work has declined in recent years, census figures indicate. In Dallas, where transit use is strongest, only 4.25 percent of commuters use it. In Dallas County as a whole, the proportion is just 1.24 percent.
Study shows most Dallas-area jobs inaccessible by transit | Dallas-Fort Worth Transportation News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

And they have long been discussing this at Dallas Metropolis, which I know you frequent.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
He's just steadily impressing me with this 6th grade logic.
What is so elementary about my logic? Could you sit there and tell me that most people in this country know that Houston is an energy giant, and that it's internationally known for that? I didn't think so, look you Houstonians have a few things that would make DFW a better place such as being close to a large body of water, or having major trading port, other than that we have you guys on name recognition, tourist destinations, LRT, and also population, you guys can try and slice up the metroplex all you want but you guys are failing to make anyone a believer except for yourselves.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Why are you taking offense to that? Considering you live in DFW, you should know that it is extremely polarized. As for my source:

Study shows most Dallas-area jobs inaccessible by transit | Dallas-Fort Worth Transportation News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

And they have long been discussing this at Dallas Metropolis, which I know you frequent.
So by going by this source I guess LA should also have its metro divided correct? All I read was that people travel long distances to work in LA, Detroit, and DFW, so what, you're not proving anything.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Look at this pic of the Dallas Skyline I just found. Sorry, I had to post this! Soon you will see a 560ft tower rising near the uptown and downtown boarder.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:47 PM

200 posts, read 294,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
What is so elementary about my logic? Could you sit there and tell me that most people in this country know that Houston is an energy giant, and that it's internationally known for that? I didn't think so, look you Houstonians have a few things that would make DFW a better place such as being close to a large body of water, or having major trading port, other than that we have you guys on name recognition, tourist destinations, LRT, and also population, you guys can try and slice up the metroplex all you want but you guys are failing to make anyone a believer except for yourselves.
Just curious, what name recognition and tourist destinations does Dallas have a huge edge on Houston? As for name recognition, the only thing I can think of is the Dallas Cowboys, which is more of a domestic thing rather than international. So other than that, what else? For tourist destinations, I really can't think of a must-see destination in DFW. Does it really have something on Houston in that regard too?

Let's be honest here, Houston and DFW aren't really hotspots for vacation and certainly not in the same sentence as NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, DC, and Miami for name recognition as you listed with Dallas in a previous post. Houston and DFW will usually be associated with places to do business and to make a life with reasonable costs.

Last edited by Fairlady Z; 05-27-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
Just curious, what name recognition and tourist destinations does Dallas have a huge edge on Houston? As for name recognition, the only thing I can think of is the Dallas Cowboys, which is more of a domestic thing rather than international. So other than that, what else? For tourist destinations, I really can't think of a must-see destination in DFW. Does it really have something on Houston in that regard too?

Let's be honest here, Houston and DFW aren't really hotspots for vacation and certainly not in the same sentence as NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, DC, and Miami for name recognition as you listed with Dallas in a previous post. Houston and DFW will usually be associated with places to do business and to make a life with reasonable costs.
I was never trying to put Dallas with the group you mentioned above, however what we do have that makes us more recognized than Houston is as follows:
  • Cowboys/Cowboys stadium
  • Fort Worth Stockyards
  • 6th st museum (building where Lee Harvey Oswald shot the supposed fatal shot to Kennedy)
  • Six Flags over Texas
  • Fort Worth zoo
  • Texas Motor Speedway
  • Dallas zoo
  • Hurricane Harbor
  • State Fair of Texas
Now I know most of these are family attractions but they do have more recognition atleast in this state than pretty much anything else in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City