Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
But no one is as pretty as Beckham and he plays for LA.

Why don't you think MLS will be as the others. The Dynamos are near the Astros for attendance. Baseball will no longer be America's favorite pastime as America is turning more latin
As America turns Latin? Guess who makes up a good portion of baseball players? Latino's. Guess who are some of the best pitchers, hitters, and runners in baseball? Latino's and the growth of the game amongst them is growing even faster. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans don't care about soccer. Heck, even some Mexicans love baseball.

BTW, don't think every country is big on soccer. East Asia could not care less about the sport compared to their top sport. The Japanese and Koreans love baseball and their presence is growing in the league as well. Soccer is growing. But it will only pass hockey at the most. It will be a long time before it touches baseball. In cities such as New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Boston. The sport is very much alive and well.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As America turns Latin? Guess who makes up a good portion of baseball players? Latino's. Guess who are some of the best pitchers, hitters, and runners in baseball? Latino's and the growth of the game amongst them is growing even faster. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans don't care about soccer. Heck, even some Mexicans love baseball.

BTW, don't think every country is big on soccer. East Asia could not care less about the sport compared to their top sport. The Japanese and Koreans love baseball and their presence is growing in the league as well. Soccer is growing. But it will only pass hockey at the most. It will be a long time before it touches baseball. In cities such as New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Boston. The sport is very much alive and well.
Very true. Baseball fanaticism is still alive and well in many cities across America, especially in the cities you mentioned due to the age of the teams and past success.

I would even say in most of the Caribbean and Central America, baseball is far more beloved than soccer.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
That article and it's numbers are kind of flawed. They compared a league that just started their season when the newness of a season is still going strong to a league that completed an entire season. What was the attendance for MLS for the entire 2010 season? That would be the better comparison.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Very true. Baseball fanaticism is still alive and well in many cities across America, especially in the cities you mentioned due to the age of the teams and past success.

I would even say in most of the Caribbean and Central America, baseball is far more beloved than soccer.
And I will say this about hockey. It's starting to gain more popularity slowly but surely. Hate to hear what happened to Atlanta but I think it was more ownership than anything. But ratings are going up, attendance is going up, and the media is starting to take notice. ESPN wanted the NHL back last year for a reason.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
you know very well that the new latino population is Mexican by a large margin an that the latins in baseball are dominated by the Dominican Republic.

MLS is on the up, Hockey is on the way down

Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
you know very well that the new latino population is Mexican by a large margin an that the latins in baseball are dominated by the Dominican Republic.

MLS is on the up, Hockey is on the way down
And Puerto Ricans, and Cubans, and Venezuelans, and........Baseball is growing in Mexico too but it will never be soccer. But you made an argument about Miami because it has all those Latinos. A good portion of Latinos in Miami do not care for soccer. They mostly come from areas where baseball dominates.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I am from the Caribbean. Baseball is popular in the spanish countries (Cuba, DR and PR) but a non entity in the rest.

In the former british and french territories (Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti, etc) Soccer, Cricket and basketball are way more popular

Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
And Puerto Ricans, and Cubans, and Venezuelans, and........Baseball is growing in Mexico too but it will never be soccer. But you made an argument about Miami because it has all those Latinos. A good portion of Latinos in Miami do not care for soccer. They mostly come from areas where baseball dominates.
Soccer dominates baseball in each and every mainland latin country (including Venezuela). Baseball only wins in Cuba, PR and DR

anyway you missed my point:
- Majority of new hispanic population- From Mexico
- Majority of hispanics in baseball- From DR

it is a great divide

Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
I am from the Caribbean. Baseball is popular in the spanish countries (Cuba, DR and PR) but a non entity in the rest.

In the former british and french territories (Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti, etc) Soccer, Cricket and basketball are way more popular
You're right. I was thinking more along the lines of the latin countries. I went to college with a bunch of Trinis and Bajans who always went on and on about cricket.

One day on the yard I even joined in on a game and socked the ball in a grand slam a good 200 feet away...as they all stared at me like I was crazy for doing so. What's the point of playing a game with a stick and a ball if it is looked down upon to whack the crap out of it? This is when I started to hate cricket.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You're right. I was thinking more along the lines of the latin countries. I went to college with a bunch of Trinis and Bajans who always went on and on about cricket.
The west indies has been a power house for cricket in the last 50 years. many records are held by them. I hate the stuff with a passion. Most boring sport ever. A match between two teams should not take multiple days to finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City