Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just saw the Thrashers are leaving the ATL; guess now only DFW has all 4 sports among these three
Meh, it was at least a sport that sucks. I'd be in depression mode if we "pulled an LA" and lost our NFL team or "pulled a Seattle" and lost our NBA team.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Meh, it was at least a sport that sucks. I'd be in depression mode if we "pulled an LA" and lost our NFL team or "pulled a Seattle" and lost our NBA team.
See what I mean?

It's better for the Thrashers to be in a city where the majority of people actually care about the sport. And what better city than one in Canada?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
See what I mean?

It's better for the Thrashers to be in a city where the majority of people actually care about the sport. And what better city than one in Canada?
Oh trust me, that is just a personal thing. There are a lot of people around here that are pissed off about the Thrashers leaving so you shouldn't take my view as being somehow indicative of how hockey fans in the city felt about it. They didn't have a choice in the matter and the owners of Thrashers were hellbent on selling no matter what happened...and have been for several years now as they are nothing more than just out to make some cash and get out.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Hockey is awesome man! I would much rather the Bruins stay and Boston lose the...errr...hmmm I guess we can't really lose anyone right now. I guess that's the problem with being awesome at every sport.

Ok, I'm gonna stop being a pompous ass haha. I promise I won't make another post like that...unless I get drunk tonight....which I almost certainly will.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Hockey is awesome man! I would much rather the Bruins stay and Boston lose the...errr...hmmm I guess we can't really lose anyone right now. I guess that's the problem with being awesome at every sport.

Ok, I'm gonna stop being a pompous ass haha. I promise I won't make another post like that...unless I get drunk tonight....which I almost certainly will.
I will say that I enjoyed myself the few times I actually went to see the Thrashers play, but hockey just doesn't do much for me away from the ice.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
DFW feels much smaller due to the area being so multipolar over such a large area.

Atlanta I would say comes closest to feeling like its actual size.

Houston feels far larger than it is. The huge freeways and massive skylines are the reason for me.

Yup. I agree with this. Dallas has always felt very small to me. Part of what I like about it.

Last edited by stan4; 06-01-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
When I first moved to the Dallas area I was thinking to myself whether or not the area felt as big as it actually was. Then when you begin driving around and see that it goes on and on and on you are assured that it is a huge area! The core of Dallas is pretty compact which makes it seem smaller than Houston that has other areas strung out. People in Houston and Atlanta talk about how they have multiple skylines, but I think people forget or dont realize that DFW has multiple areas with highrises as well.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
If the earlier poster feels having a big destination upscale mall makes Dallas feel bigger or a big convention and tourist industry (something Atlanta also has) then how is it having a large entertainment industry and resulting large urban nightlife scene doesn't make Atlanta seem larger? Atleast to someone going for a night out on the town.

And yes Beale Street and Graceland do make Memphis seem alot larger than it otherwise would feel. (But not nearly as large as Dallas, Houston or Atlanta ofcourse.)
like the music scene malls are often found in tiny towns too. Didn't the mega malls started off in the outta town areas. These don't make an area feel big at all.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I agree. All big cities should have a Basketball and Football team. Baseball is not as popular as it was 100 years ago when it was America's Sport, but if I would add a third I would add that.
But Hockey??? who cares.

Looking at the map it seems that Hockey is more of a NE and Canada thing.
NHL:

NBA:

NFL:

MLB:

This one is coming up, I dunno why it took so long for the US to catch up with the rest of the world.
MLS:

Is Miami the only major latin city in the US to not have a Soccer team?? I would think Miami would be all up on that. Would think Soccer would be more popular there than Hockey. Same with Phoenix

Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM

sorry, wrong map for MLB:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City