Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 08:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Relevance? It wasn't that long ago:

"I know right, I mean really where is Brooklyn is why is she envied?"
What? Can you not interpret sarcasm? You said something about Brooklyn being like North Dakota (existence wise).

I then made a joke to your senseless joke saying Brooklyn is envied (you know the verb of Envy). You couldn't detect my sarcasm.

THEN you replied about not remembering the last time people wanted to visit Brooklyn. Hence my relevance comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
What? Can you not interpret sarcasm? You said something about Brooklyn being like North Dakota (existence wise).

I then made a joke to your senseless joke saying Brooklyn is envied (you know the verb of Envy). You couldn't detect my sarcasm.

THEN you replied about not remembering the last time people wanted to visit Brooklyn. Hence my relevance comment.
Ah. I had great time when I was in Bk years ago, and I want to return.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That article that StuddedLeather posted on the kindred spirits of Oakland and Brooklyn was an interesting article. That Jay-Z Oakland reference was funny also. I guess the 2 are more alike than people care to admit. BK is a beast, but because it's near Manhattan, there are lot of things that won't be made available in BK that most self-contained cities would have, especially things Brooklyn SHOULD have for it's size. Either way, BK is part of NYC and thus all the amenities of Manhattan should be shared with it, but for the sake of this thread BK isn't apart of NYC. Everything else is preference.
If I could bow to this post right now. . .

I fully agree. One thing I wish Brooklyn had (and you guys pointed this out which was fun/funny) Is an Apple Store. I know it's coming soon from rumors/inevitability, but I want one NOW! The 4 (soon to be 5) stores in Manhattan always seem like tourist spots. I hate that feeling of being a tourist so I don't go to the stores, though I love, practically breathe, for Apple. Just kidding but I do love the company/products.

End of my fanboy rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
A couple points...

1. LA and SF seem to be, to a large degree, lumped together as one city called "California" in many international peoples' perceptions (with LA and SF often being interchangable), and this "California" forms about as much as peoples' impression of the US as NYC does, especially in Asia.

2. I think that people do inadvertently know more of Brooklyn than they think they do, for the simple reason that when people think of brick rowhouses with stoops and urban youth hanging out, rapping, etc etc on the "mean streets" of NYC, the place that they imagine is much more Brooklyn than Manhattan. Most of them just don't realize it.

I don't think anyone here really thought that it was a desolate suburb, honestly. I've been there, so I know it's not... but because of that, I also know how it doesn't measure up to SF. I don't want to keep the bashing up, so I'm not going to get into it and incur the wrath of more videos of booty clapping (not that there's anything wrong with that... just not in this venue) and childish, ham-fisted BS...so I'll just leave it at that. Again: I lived in NYC, I've (by proxy) been there, I chose to live in SF over it.

I'd like to see that, too; I'm much more a fan of cross-cultural exchanges where people gain a new awareness for what makes a place stand on its own, rather than boost one by putting down the other.

If the current rates of growth continue, I can certainly see that, and maybe in time, it will stand more on its own as opposed to being part of an amorphous "New York" in most peoples' perceptions. Oakland is going through the same thing right now, and the revitalization of SOMA will soon stretch down the Eastern shore of Southern San Francisco.

Great response! I agree with a lot of the points you've mentioned.

A lot of people here are mad about the improvements/revitalization, gentrification if you will. But I welcome it! Brooklyn has come a long way from the 80's-90's (though I wasn't born ), so you won't see me talking about homeless people on the street because Brooklyn just started to improve with this. Maybe within the last decade the most!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Ah. I had great time when I was in Bk years ago, and I want to return.
How long ago was this? I say, if you're really planning a visit, wait at least until the arena is completed so you can watch a game or show. I just really love that arena and what the complete project will look like. Here's the latest new render (for the residential buildings). . . . I love it but a lot of people don't think it 'fits'.

Renderings Released for First Atlantic Yards High-Rise; Ratner Wants to Go Prefab | Brownstoner

Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,790 times
-Food: San Francisco
-Art: Brooklyn
-Diversity: Tie
-Architecture: Brooklyn
-Live Music scene: Brooklyn
-Nightlife: Brooklyn
-Transportation: Brooklyn
-Parks: San Francisco
-Scenery: San Francisco
-Street Vibrancy: Brooklyn

Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
If I could bow to this post right now. . .

I fully agree. One thing I wish Brooklyn had (and you guys pointed this out which was fun/funny) Is an Apple Store. I know it's coming soon from rumors/inevitability, but I want one NOW! The 4 (soon to be 5) stores in Manhattan always seem like tourist spots. I hate that feeling of being a tourist so I don't go to the stores, though I love, practically breathe, for Apple. Just kidding but I do love the company/products.

End of my fanboy rant.

Great response! I agree with a lot of the points you've mentioned.

A lot of people here are mad about the improvements/revitalization, gentrification if you will. But I welcome it! Brooklyn has come a long way from the 80's-90's (though I wasn't born ), so you won't see me talking about homeless people on the street because Brooklyn just started to improve with this. Maybe within the last decade the most!
I honestly had no ideal BK didn't have an Apple Store. That's crazy. But, it isn't really a necessity.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
How long ago was this? I say, if you're really planning a visit, wait at least until the arena is completed so you can watch a game or show. I just really love that arena and what the complete project will look like. Here's the latest new render (for the residential buildings). . . . I love it but a lot of people don't think it 'fits'.

Renderings Released for First Atlantic Yards High-Rise; Ratner Wants to Go Prefab | Brownstoner
Ugh. I hate the look of it so much.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it looks kind of cool overall. The, uh, "middle portion" in the third pic (i.e., black base/white tower) has a bit of a German 1950's/60's look to it from that angle, which sort of clashes with the other part which is closes to the viewer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's one building, made to look like multiple buildings, correct?

Either way, I do think it looks pretty good overall. It'll certainly add density, entertainment, and commerce to the area, one way or the other!

Last edited by 415_s2k; 12-06-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Funny you should bring up Brooklyn's finest export Jay-Z in this discussion.

I would like to quote him.

"Hey n*gga, I was in Oakland, Oakland's like Brooklyn."

Jay-Z

Make what you will of this fact, but we're not the first ones making this reference. Brooklyn's no San Francisco. It's Oakland.
Yup, we've been making this point for several pages now and now their hero has made the same claim but I wonder if it will change some minds? LOL.

Brooklyn and Oakland have many similarities not only with respect to some demographic measures but also in relation to its place in their respective Metro areas.

Otherwise, we can continue to Brooklyn vs SF comparison but the Downtown comparison alone is laughable at best.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Lol. It's not set in stone yet but I do think, for modular construction, it's a nice first render. Maybe within this month or next, they'll have more designs to throw around since they want to ground break early next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think it looks kind of cool overall. The, uh, "middle portion" in the third pic (i.e., black base/white tower) has a bit of a German 1950's/60's look to it from that angle, which sort of clashes with the other part which is closes to the viewer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's one building, made to look like multiple buildings, correct?

Either way, I do think it looks pretty good overall. It'll certainly add density, entertainment, and commerce to the area, one way or the other!
I believe it's going to be consider one building, because on the Brownstoner link it said something about 350 units. I do see, in one of the pix, you can enter/exit from the arena as well. But I doubt that'll be the only entrance for residents. I don't know, I just really like the detailing and the architectural direction. But I'm not going to get attached because this isn't the final design as of yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City