Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Bajanyankee has success. I think it's about 50/50 for the amount of ppl in this thread and off the site for BK to SF. This is kind of sad considering SF is a world class city. Californians are just jealous an area of another city is just as desirable as SF.
Off this site, I think that national awareness for Brooklyn is alrgely limited to hip hop and gangster films... and hipsters to a lesser extent since it's a newer movement/stereotype. SF is known in every corner of the globe. Huge difference in the perceptions of the two cities... keep in mind I'm not saying this as a diss to BK, and I haven't dissed it at all in this thread, or ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Has the Google game been done on this one yet? Because its pretty embarassing.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
The premise of this thread is that Brooklyn can beat San Francisco without help from Manhattan. As such, it should be treated as a self-contained entity. Otherwise no, it doesn't offer more than SF.

The Jay-Z crack had more to do with all the videos and pics that pop up with his likeness whenever Brooklyn comes up. At least post Biggie videos, yeah? He was way better.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I know right, I mean really where is Brooklyn is why is she envied?
You got me. Its envy. I can't tell you all the times I've had people tell me they want to visit Brooklyn. I really can't.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Has the Google game been done on this one yet? Because its pretty embarassing.
Google
Sf-1,800,000,000
Brooklyn-360,000,000

Brooklyn Bridge-20,500,000
Golden Gate Bridge-20,700,000

Verrazanos-Narrows Bridge- 490,000
San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge- 2,330,000

Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Off this site, I think that national awareness for Brooklyn is alrgely limited to hip hop and gangster films... and hipsters to a lesser extent since it's a newer movement/stereotype. SF is known in every corner of the globe. Huge difference in the perceptions of the two cities... keep in mind I'm not saying this as a diss to BK, and I haven't dissed it at all in this thread, or ever.
I would only hope that's true, as it should be. When people think of Cali, SF and L.A should come to mind. When people think of America, NYC, comes to mind. I'm confident people know the set up of NYC or 'how it works' so it's trivial. But I do believe people know way more about Brooklyn then people assume.

I will give you guys the other Boroughs. Sure, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island aren't the most urban/citified places. But to think of Brooklyn as this desolate type of place/area is completely false and off base.

I rather this thread turn into where in <insert SF or Brooklyn> can we find XYZ. So when we visit (vice versa) we can check those places out for ourselves. I already admitted to not having larger,"world famous stores" like Louis Vuitton etc. and I've said before I like San Francisco's architecture. Though I prefer The Brooklyn Bridge because of it's gothic-like architecture, I like the way the GGB look in most pictures. The smog adds something to it that my eye enjoys. Brooklyn is vibrant and active well outside of Downtown Brooklyn and waterfront areas.

I like development (new mostly, because I like construction/new architecture) and Brooklyn seems to be growing (in the sense of new development/towers) at an unbelievable rate. More amenities, more retail etc. This decade, I even say within the next 5 Years. People will be surprised about the growth and change. After Brooklyn, Queens is next. But I think Queens/The Bronx and S.I will always be a little behind, but that's my opinion.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You got me. Its envy. I can't tell you all the times I've had people tell me they want to visit Brooklyn. I really can't.
Relevance? I'm sure you've had people say "I want to visit New York someday" Implying they'd like to visit NYC which = 5 Boroughs. If that's not the case then cool. Or if the people in your circle was only referring to Manhattan that's cool too.

By all means stay in the Manhattan streets and shop, shop, shop.

I don't have any cares to give, sorry.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
That article that StuddedLeather posted on the kindred spirits of Oakland and Brooklyn was an interesting article. That Jay-Z Oakland reference was funny also. I guess the 2 are more alike than people care to admit. BK is a beast, but because it's near Manhattan, there are lot of things that won't be made available in BK that most self-contained cities would have, especially things Brooklyn SHOULD have for it's size. Either way, BK is part of NYC and thus all the amenities of Manhattan should be shared with it, but for the sake of this thread BK isn't apart of NYC. Everything else is preference.

Last edited by polo89; 12-06-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Relevance? I'm sure you've had people say "I want to visit New York someday" Implying they'd like to visit NYC which = 5 Boroughs. If that's not the case then cool. Or if the people in your circle was only referring to Manhattan that's cool too.

By all means stay in the Manhattan streets and shop, shop, shop.

I don't have any cares to give, sorry.
Relevance? It wasn't that long ago:

"I know right, I mean really where is Brooklyn is why is she envied?"

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
I would only hope that's true, as it should be. When people think of Cali, SF and L.A should come to mind. When people think of America, NYC, comes to mind. I'm confident people know the set up of NYC or 'how it works' so it's trivial. But I do believe people know way more about Brooklyn then people assume.
A couple points...

1. LA and SF seem to be, to a large degree, lumped together as one city called "California" in many international peoples' perceptions (with LA and SF often being interchangable), and this "California" forms about as much as peoples' impression of the US as NYC does, especially in Asia.

2. I think that people do inadvertently know more of Brooklyn than they think they do, for the simple reason that when people think of brick rowhouses with stoops and urban youth hanging out, rapping, etc etc on the "mean streets" of NYC, the place that they imagine is much more Brooklyn than Manhattan. Most of them just don't realize it.

Quote:
I will give you guys the other Boroughs. Sure, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island aren't the most urban/citified places. But to think of Brooklyn as this desolate type of place/area is completely false and off base.
I don't think anyone here really thought that it was a desolate suburb, honestly. I've been there, so I know it's not... but because of that, I also know how it doesn't measure up to SF. I don't want to keep the bashing up, so I'm not going to get into it and incur the wrath of more videos of booty clapping (not that there's anything wrong with that... just not in this venue) and childish, ham-fisted BS...so I'll just leave it at that. Again: I lived in NYC, I've (by proxy) been there, I chose to live in SF over it.

Quote:
I rather this thread turn into where in <insert SF or Brooklyn> can we find XYZ. So when we visit (vice versa) we can check those places out for ourselves. I already admitted to not having larger,"world famous stores" like Louis Vuitton etc. and I've said before I like San Francisco's architecture. Though I prefer The Brooklyn Bridge because of it's gothic-like architecture, I like the way the GGB look in most pictures. The smog adds something to it that my eye enjoys. Brooklyn is vibrant and active well outside of Downtown Brooklyn and waterfront areas.
I'd like to see that, too; I'm much more a fan of cross-cultural exchanges where people gain a new awareness for what makes a place stand on its own, rather than boost one by putting down the other.

Quote:
I like development (new mostly, because I like construction/new architecture) and Brooklyn seems to be growing (in the sense of new development/towers) at an unbelievable rate. More amenities, more retail etc. This decade, I even say within the next 5 Years. People will be surprised about the growth and change. After Brooklyn, Queens is next. But I think Queens/The Bronx and S.I will always be a little behind, but that's my opinion.
If the current rates of growth continue, I can certainly see that, and maybe in time, it will stand more on its own as opposed to being part of an amorphous "New York" in most peoples' perceptions. Oakland is going through the same thing right now, and the revitalization of SOMA will soon stretch down the Eastern shore of Southern San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City