Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

is it too early to nominate miss trolldashian here for troll of the year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol I second that nomination!
nah she needs a reality show first. since this is the net i guess a blog would work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 PM

71 posts, read 189,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I agree. Chicagoans shouldn't be whining about their status and comparing the city with NYC and LA. It is a great city on its own.
I don't think a Chicagoan started this thread. I certainly don't feel Chicago is always in the shadow of NYC and L.A. Every city has it own place and Chicago holds its place just fine.

Its not like Chicago is a film industry powerhouse, but LA gets all the attention. Or Chicago is a high fashion design capital, but NYC gets all the attention.

The cities aren't even in the same region. NYC doesn't overshadow L.A., L.A. doesn't overshadow Chicago, Chicago doesn't overshadow Houston, and so on and so on.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 PM

87 posts, read 80,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
Honestly NYC and LA are slightly, and I mean very slightly ahead Chi as global cities,
No wonder it is said to always be wary when someone starts a sentence with the word honestly. ^^^Usually what follows is hype.

According to the Chicago Council on Global Affairs study Top Global Cities: A.T. Kearney Ranks the World's Most Global Cities - BusinessWeek
....at least seven cities ranked above Chicago as top global cities. L.A. and New York both ranked above Chicago. New York ranked well above it.

If you go by the GaWC rankings which people on C-D seem to pop a boner for, there are at least 18 cities ranked higher than Chicago GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

so let's see. Do I go with the city data dude, code name LiveFrom215, or the people who actually conducted a real study? Um I go with the "experts". No offense dude.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaviews View Post
I don't think a Chicagoan started this thread. I certainly don't feel Chicago is always in the shadow of NYC and L.A. Every city has it own place and Chicago holds its place just fine.

Its not like Chicago is a film industry powerhouse, but LA gets all the attention. Or Chicago is a high fashion design capital, but NYC gets all the attention.

The cities aren't even in the same region. NYC doesn't overshadow L.A., L.A. doesn't overshadow Chicago, Chicago doesn't overshadow Houston, and so on and so on.

Get real.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
No wonder it is said to always be wary when someone starts a sentence with the word honestly. ^^^Usually what follows is hype.

According to the Chicago Council on Global Affairs study Top Global Cities: A.T. Kearney Ranks the World's Most Global Cities - BusinessWeek
....at least seven cities ranked above Chicago as top global cities. L.A. and New York both ranked above Chicago. New York ranked well above it.

If you go by the GaWC rankings which people on C-D seem to pop a boner for, there are at least 18 cities ranked higher than Chicago GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

so let's see. Do I go with the city data dude, code name LiveFrom215, or the people who actually conducted a real study? Um I go with the "experts". No offense dude.
Hmmm...interesting. Both NYC and LA rank above Chi-town.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 PM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
Quote:

I suppose.

First of all, I am soooo not the city data dude....I am sitting in my living room, in Philly wearing slippers, chilling. I don't have a dog in this fight; but in my opinion Chicago is a great world city. I didn't say NYC or LA weren't....just that Chicago was.

One can quote stats all day. Some studies put Chicago ahead of LA in some areas, LA ahead of Chi in others, and NYC ahead of everybody in just about everything.

Here's a breakdown from Loughborough University, United Kingdom:

Alpha World Cities ++:
New York City, London

Alpha World Cities +:
Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing

Alpha World Cities:
Milan, Madrid, Seoul, Moscow, Brussels, Toronto, Mumbai, Buenos Aires, Kuala Lumpur

Alpha World Cities –:
Warsaw, São Paulo, Jakarta, Zurich, Mexico City, Dublin, Amsterdam, Bangkok, Taipei, Rome, Istanbul, Lisbon, Chicago, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Vienna, Budapest, Athens, Prague, Caracas, Auckland, Santiago

Beta World Cities +:
Melbourne, Barcelona, Los Angeles, Johannesburg, Manila, Bogota, New Delhi, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Tel Aviv, Bucharest, San Francisco, Helsinki, Berlin, Dubai, Oslo, Geneva, Riyadh, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Cairo

As you can see Chi comes out an Alpha Class Global City in this study; LA as a Beta. I am certain one could find other surveys where the reverse is true. Which kind of proves my point. In the end these things are largely subjective.
But anyone who claims Chicago isn't one of the most important cities in America, and the world is ignoring reality.

Dude.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 PM

Dude. We didnt need a 3 minute long post to know that Chicago is an important city...mostly to the midwest.
I don't think anyone here claimed that Chicago isn't important. What you said was that New York and L.A. rank very slighty above Chicago as a global city. Guys on city data do not rank global cities. No offense to you or your slippers.

I love Philly by the way. Always have a great time when I am there. The people are great!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,919 times
Chicago lost the 2016 Olympic bid to Rio and didn't get selected as a 2018-22 World Cup host cities, yet LA hosted 2 Olympics, and one world cup, and is in the running for another world cup in 2018-20.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
In my opinion, both New York & Chicago are "old" cities & not that unlike from each other [ie. cold climates\ traditional\ vertical]. Los Angeles isn't any of those things.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 PM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
Quote:
Dude. We didnt need a 3 minute long post to know that Chicago is an important city. I don't think anyone here claimed that Chicago isn't. What you said was that New York and L.A. rank very slighty above Chicago as a global city. Guys on city data do not rank global cities. No offense to you or your slippers.

I love Philly by the way. Always have a great time when I am there. The people are great!
My slipppers and I appreciate your concern, and hope you will allow us to clarify;

I had assumed perhaps in error, that everybody knows that New York is the Big Dog for so many obvious reaons that I won't even bother to go into.
Perhaps I should have been more clear that LA and Chicago were neck and neck for the duece spot among American cities. Neither of them are NYC....but no place is. Which city is the more prominent between LA/Chi depends on how you crunch the numbers (and which one you prefer, I suppose) But it's close.

That better?

PS: Philly loves you right back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City