Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times

Advertisements

NYC and LA are the two principal cities in the nation. Chicago is third in the lineup.

Be grateful. Stop whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Chicago is fifth.
What are the two that come before it, then?

I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Chicago, even though I recognize it doesn't have quite the significance of LA and NYC.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 AM

650 posts, read 1,327,528 times
Quote:
Chicago is fifth.
I haven't been here too long but I already know what's going on. I guess that's how the game goes lol.

I think Chicago is overshadowed a bit too much but I think its widely known that its #3 which says a lot.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
NYC and LA are the two principal cities in the nation. Chicago is third in the lineup.

Be grateful. Stop whining.
I dunno. I've spent 30 years living outside and working in New York City, and Chicago is ahead of LA on my list of cities I want to visit.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
It's also becoming a strip mall on steroids, even downtown is becoming more generic by the year. Chicago is only a world class city to those who visit. It is a sham to those who live in Chicago for any real length of time and have traveled elsewhere.

Plus, Do we really need to remind them that they are still a part of the very mundane and humdrum midwest. Diversity is often bragged about but essentially ignored by most locals in day to day life.

The winters are so bad that the locals will often curse loudly as they are waiting for the el train, or scraping ice off their car windows at 5 am in order to beat the 2nd worse traffic in America. Those who claim they live on the cheap are over exaggerating their "urban experience"
Be very wary of these claims of an affordable Chicago. The "affordable" apartments are usually sardine cans with expensive heating costs in sketchy neighborhoods.

We get it - Chicago isn't your cup of tea. How many scathing posts do you need to do in a 24 hour period? What result are you looking for here? Someone to start crying?

You've decended from making comments and opinions to the "trolldom", where if anyone says anything positive about Chicago for whatever reason, your autopilot will immediately make an even stronger negative remark.

Save the high blood pressure and read a good book.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Maybe because NYC and LA are bigger cities than Chicago

Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,568 times
As an LA native who has visited Chicago and New York at least once a year because of family, I have to let you all know that people from LA could care less about Chicago or New York. When I visit, I am horrified by how overwieght and out of style people from both cities are. Just plain unattractive! Not one person in LA would ever, ever, EVER want to move to either of these gloomy and sad places to live. We dont care about dark and dismal highrises...how does that make a city?California is just so much larger than Illinios or New York that a visitor could never begin to imagine what it is like to live here. LA is famous because the general quality of life is FAR superior to either of these cities. My best friend is a brooklyn native and she says she would rather die than move back to that pathetic place. In LA it is gorgeous, sunny, the people are hot, there are so many outdoor activities to do, the food is world-class (and HEALTHY), the nightlife (hidden from visitors-is by invite only) ETC, ETC, ETC. People from LA feel sorry for you all. Good luck with your highrises and greasy food. We dont even know your alive.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberS View Post
As an LA native who has visited Chicago and New York at least once a year because of family, I have to let you all know that people from LA could care less about Chicago or New York. When I visit, I am horrified by how overwieght and out of style people from both cities are. Just plain unattractive! Not one person in LA would ever, ever, EVER want to move to either of these gloomy and sad places to live. We dont care about dark and dismal highrises...how does that make a city?California is just so much larger than Illinios or New York that a visitor could never begin to imagine what it is like to live here. LA is famous because the general quality of life is FAR superior to either of these cities. My best friend is a brooklyn native and she says she would rather die than move back to that pathetic place. In LA it is gorgeous, sunny, the people are hot, there are so many outdoor activities to do, the food is world-class (and HEALTHY), the nightlife (hidden from visitors-is by invite only) ETC, ETC, ETC. People from LA feel sorry for you all. Good luck with your highrises and greasy food. We dont even know your alive.

Lol,,,,lol,lol
hold on im still laughing

Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberS View Post

I might as well start with this. How can you call a city of eight million who walk just about everywhere they go overweight. It is obvious that you are just looking for a response. Congratulations, you got it. NOw let's be real. Its good that you like LA and all, but you can't be serious.

Anyone can come on here and spit heresay, but why bother. I have a friend from Cali etc etc who hates cali...Blah, blah, blah,.To each his own I guess. But I used to live in California, its a nice state and all but my god. You act like its a nirvana. Please. The biggest thing that LA has over other places is wheather. That is why the movie industry moved there. Aside from that and being a coastal state, uh nothing much more to say. I am not going to get baited and bash LA to defend NY and Chicago, but come on..........you can't really be serious..

\Oh and by the way, the out of style part. You do know that NY is the fashion capitol of the world. Not the U.s. the world. So how can you even make such an outlandish claim?

Furthermore, who cares how big California is. What difference does it make. Half the state is ilegals anyway. All of the state is bankrupt.

I usually don't get into these tit for tat kind of posts but your post was probably the most outrageous, far fetched, way out there post I have seen all year. I mean that, congratulations your the big winner.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
[/b]

Lol,,,,lol,lol
hold on im still laughing
I'm with you, that was pretty funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City