Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 PM

408 posts, read 581,455 times

Advertisements

I voted for Atlanta, because of the presence of three major colleges and Universities in the same area (AUC). Spelman College was listed as the top HBCU in the united states for the past few years and Howard 2nd I believe.

I've never been to the AUC so I can't say which is in a better location. I do know that Howard is located in a bad area of NW DC and my family say's students have been robbed and harassed in and around the campus. With that being said, Howard Homecoming is like a big function of people from all different HBCU's across the country flock to for a weekend of fun so the history and entertainment aspect goes to DC.

The AUC to me has a better location, more students therefore more activities and resources available. Each campus offers different major and I'm aware that you can be enrolled in one university and take classes at other campus i.e. a Morehouse student can be enrolled at a class taught at Clark Atlanta, which I think is pretty cool.

Last thing is, I take the ranking of Hampton University with a grain of salt. for the amount of money you pay that school and the condition of the buildings, the dorms, and the attitude of the faculty and administration it really doesn't add up! It has quality students that put up with utter BS to keep the rankings high, but the school in itself is not good and this is from a former student. Most private schools outside that are historically black offer an alternative to student federal loans besides scholarships such as the UNCF and Thurgood Marshall College Fund, Hampton does not offer either of these. So, most of the time the student is paying out of pocket, or through student loans as scholarships are limited and so is financial support!

just my opinion though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,851,305 times
Parts of the Vine City area around the AUC are bad. You can't write off that entire part of town as the ghetto, but much of it is.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 PM

51 posts, read 79,086 times
Howard University is in a huge, urban city. You need to be street smart, it's as simple as that. Should students shy away from attending Columbia because the campus is two blocks away from Harlem? Should students shy away from going to Wharton because it's surrounded by West Philly? Don't walk home at midnight by yourself and you'll be alright.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Parts of the Vine City area around the AUC are bad. You can't write off that entire part of town as the ghetto, but much of it is.

You are right about that even though they are trying to redo that whole area the hood rats still lurk, but that area is becoming more urban with barbershops late night pizza joints a boutique walmart is coming soon, Most of the homes over the older homes over there are being bought out and rented to college students.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You are right about that even though they are trying to redo that whole area the hood rats still lurk, but that area is becoming more urban with barbershops late night pizza joints a boutique walmart is coming soon, Most of the homes over the older homes over there are being bought out and rented to college students.
I hope all that goes well. The AUC really needs that.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyboss View Post
This argument should've never been started. It's akin to Harvard vs Yale or Stanford vs UPenn/Wharton. Both schools are great, just leave it at that. I will say though, growing up on the East Coast, Howard has way more name recognition than Morehouse.
I think it's just you being from the East Coast leading you to this idea of Howard being more recognized. I definitely knew about Morehouse and Spellman before I knew of Howard. And going to college in the Midwest I heard far more black students mention them than Howard. Til this day on tv, movies, news etc. I still hear the names Morehouse and Spellman far more than I hear of Howard.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Howard University is in a huge, urban city. You need to be street smart, it's as simple as that. Should students shy away from attending Columbia because the campus is two blocks away from Harlem? Should students shy away from going to Wharton because it's surrounded by West Philly? Don't walk home at midnight by yourself and you'll be alright.
But who still thinks of Harlem as dangerous, though?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I think it's just you being from the East Coast leading you to this idea of Howard being more recognized. I definitely knew about Morehouse and Spellman before I knew of Howard. And going to college in the Midwest I heard far more black students mention them than Howard. Til this day on tv, movies, news etc. I still hear the names Morehouse and Spellman far more than I hear of Howard.
What shows are you watching? Because I rarely, if ever hear about any of these schools, to be honest with you.

Morehouse and Spelman are definitely black household names, but I wouldn't doubt that more white people have heard of Howard.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Forget the movies (Howard's been mentioned in a few btw), which top HBCU is known all around the entertainment industry for its Homecoming? Sure ain't the AUC.
I don't know. Spellhouse and Clarks Homecomings pack an awful lot of starpower (as do partys taking place here year round) which should be no surprise considering there is a very significant black entertainment industry based right here in Atlanta. I could get together some impressive video to show you when I have time.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
So basically, at Howard University, you can major in any discipline, join any grad school program, enroll in law school, business school, medical school and dental school and do all of this in-house but, it's somehow inferior to a school in which you'd have to go elsewhere to do the same. How is this even a conversation? The fact that you have to keep including Morehouse with 4-5 other colleges should be enough to show that it can't keep up with Howard alone.

(* Howard is also apart of a Consortium. Albeit smaller but, students can study at Georgetown, George Washington, American and University of Maryland)
Please stop putting words in my mouth.I NEVER stated Howard is inferior as YOU seem to be suggesting that Morehouse in Spelman are.This was a retort to an obviously wrong answer that even you in your effort to underline a quote missed the part that said its a dual degree.

Not to mention The AUC and the Howard "consortium" set up you erroneously mentioned is NOT the same in structure or function.For instance programs are offered through Georgia Tech and Emory as mentioned earlier through the AuC, but those schools are not a pat of the AUC.

As far as "keep up"?How does a school like Howard thats much bigger in student population but have only produced 1 Rhodes scholar to Morehouse 3 ?As I stated before how can the alumni giving rate be at a so much higher percent considering the size of Howard?

Last edited by afonega1; 06-06-2011 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City