Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,165,260 times

Advertisements

I never ever say anything negative about HBCU's. I went to one. But Howard has more prominence and prestige than Morehouse and Spelman. Too many Howard alums have made an impact on the national scene. Howard even has a Rhodes Scholar. How can anyone sh&t on the accomplishments of Diddy. Hate him or love him, he is an icon. Spike Lee is also a beast in his own right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I never ever say anything negative about HBCU's. I went to one. But Howard has more prominence and prestige than Morehouse and Spelman.
No, it doesn't and it won't be any more true no matter how many times you say it.

Quote:
Too many Howard alums have made an impact on the national scene.
No doubt.

Quote:
Howard even has a Rhodes Scholar.
LOL, Morehouse has three.

But I'll give y'all props for being the only other HBCU to have one.

Quote:
How can anyone sh&t on the accomplishments of Diddy. Hate him or love him, he is an icon.
Because dude is a talentless hack and a joke. As I already stated though, this has nothing to do with Howard.

Quote:
Spike Lee is also a beast in his own right.
Damn straight. Malcolm X is a masterpiece of cinema.

Last edited by waronxmas; 06-03-2011 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Famous people that went to Howard. All of the HBCU's in Atlanta can't touch this list for power and prestige.

Thurgood Marshall
Paul Lawrence Dunbar
Ossie Davis
Andrew Young
Cathy Hughes
David Dinkins
Benjamin Hooks
Adam Clayton Powell
Toni Morrison
Debbie Allen
Sean "Puffy" Combs
Vernon Jordan
La La Vasquez
Donny Hathaway
Kenny Latimore
Laz Alonzo
Taraji P. Henson
Carl Anthony Payne
Roxie Roker
Wendy Raquel Robinson
Marlon Wayans
Lynn Whitfield
Personally,academically I think these schools are pretty much equal but as far as notoriety,Howard is not known on the same level as Morehouse or Spelman.Do you know Morehouse has had a relationship wih Goldman-Sachs dating back almost 100 years?Magaret Mitchell (the Author of Gone With The Wind secretly gave money through her friend who was president of Morehouse(Bejamin E.Mays) to give scholarships to aspiring black doctors.
Morehouse College is the first Historically Black College to produce a Rhodes Scholar. The school has produced a total of three Rhodes Scholars—two in the last four years

Spelman and Morehouse combined student population is less than half of what Howards is.Yet if you look at the endowment of Spelman at $284.7 million and Morehouse at $129.0 million and add them together you get $413.7million.Thats about 13million more than Howard which is twice the size.
Thats a lot more powe r and prestige per pound if you ask me.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well, hmmm, not to rag on that list but Thurgood Marshall, Paul Lawrence Dunbar, Andrew Young and Ossie Davis are the stand outs on that list and you could have done better than that. It's not even worth me trying to throw back at you a list from the AUC as it would not be respectful to Howard to drag their good name in some mud slinging match.

But seriously you are going to say with a straight face that Howard beats the AUC but then most of the people on your list comprise of B actors, frickin Marlon Wayans, and Cole from Martin (or cockroach from the Cosby show if you are old enough). We've got W.E.B Dubois, MLK and whole host of others. Come on now son...

PS

Dude seriously, you put people like La La Vasquez,Diddy, and Vernon Jordan on your list. You can do Howard better than that.
I saw the list and said the same thing.Im like;" I can do better than that for Howard."
Between Spelman and Morehouse you have Secretary's of Government positions like Health,2 or 3 surgeon Generals,The largest bank in America,and so on.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyboss View Post
@ the disrespect for Sean Combs. He's probably the most successful person to ever attend a HBCU. I don't know too many Howard-House-Spelman alumni who are worth $400-$500 Million.
You mean like Oprah Winfrey(Tennessee State) or Reginald Lewis(TlC Beatrice),Donald Watkins,Thomas Dortch(fmr,President of 100 Black Men of America),Walter E. Massey(B.O.A. Chrman and former president of Morehouse).Come on now read up on you HBCU's!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,851,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What's with labeling the campuses of Clark, Spelman, a Morehouse semi urban?

To the OP, there are three subway stations within walking distance of those campuses too, not just buses....
I think the OP means they're not as urban as the very dense set-up northeastern cities

Last edited by AlGreen; 06-03-2011 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,851,305 times
None of these schools want it with the Texas or Louisiana HBCUs when it comes to the bands. Morris Brown was definitely live, though.

Honestly, Howard and Spelman are the only institutions I'd proudly send my child to. Morehouse? Eh..once upon a time, yes, but probably not now. It's not for every black man.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 PM

51 posts, read 79,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Nope. Oprah went to Tennessee State University.
lol. touche. can't believe I forgot about her.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Howard is not known on the same level as Morehouse or Spelman.
This argument should've never been started. It's akin to Harvard vs Yale or Stanford vs UPenn/Wharton. Both schools are great, just leave it at that. I will say though, growing up on the East Coast, Howard has way more name recognition than Morehouse.

Last edited by siliconvalleyboss; 06-03-2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You mean like Oprah Winfrey(Tennessee State) or Reginald Lewis(TlC Beatrice),Donald Watkins,Thomas Dortch(fmr,President of 100 Black Men of America),Walter E. Massey(B.O.A. Chrman and former president of Morehouse).Come on now read up on you HBCU's!
Come on man LOL...i forgot. I actually did my freshman year at a HBCU in Tennessee. Its really, really easy to forget that Oprah went to TSU; she doesn't publicize it the same way that Spike Lee or Debbie Allen does. As for Mr. Combs, Forbes estimated his networth at $475 Million in 2011. Very few HBCU alumni have reached that kind of success. I don't understand the disrespect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City