Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,806,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyboss View Post
This argument should've never been started. It's akin to Harvard vs Yale or Stanford vs UPenn/Wharton. Both schools are great, just leave it at that. I will say though, growing up on the East Coast, Howard has way more name recognition than Morehouse.
Well its my opinion but its not a slight against Howard.Just and observation.How many movies and media have mentioned The AUC schools vs Howard?

Boyz n The Hood
School Daze
Jason's Lyric
The Morehouse Men(a British Documentary)
are some old ones off the top of my head.

Not to mention Morehouse has an international reputation.My best friend is related to the former Prime Minister of Nigeria.(Obusanjo).Olu is one of his sons sent to get his B.S.before going on to Columbia as his older brother did before him.My best friend is from London by way of Nigeria.His nephews were sent by their father who is British/Nigerian (but graduated from Harvard) to attend undergrad at Morehouse.

Heads of states particularly from Africa have sent many of their kids to Morehouse because of what it represents as the legacy of MLK JR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:02 AM

316 posts, read 560,532 times
I pick Washington D.C.

Howard University is traditionally considered the flagship of the HBCU's.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:13 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,806,999 times
Quote:
Come on man LOL...i forgot. I actually did my freshman year at a HBCU in Tennessee. Its really, really easy to forget that Oprah went to TSU; she doesn't publicize it the same way that Spike Lee or Debbie Allen does. As for Mr. Combs, Forbes estimated his networth at $475 Million in 2011. Very few HBCU alumni have reached that kind of success. I don't understand the disrespect.
Im on the fence with P.Diddy but he has made quite an impact that cannot be denied.(good and bad).I personally dont think he has that much.Even still there are people that are not as well known that have amassed such a fortune.Not that the more money who have means you are more successful.Respect is more important than anything.

Here is a list of the 20 richest blacks
Richest African Americans 2011 – Forbes Wealthiest Black Americans ‹ The Richest People In The World 2011

Old 06-04-2011, 04:24 AM

336 posts, read 768,904 times
Quote:
growing up on the East Coast, Howard has way more name recognition than Morehouse.
Exactly Howard has way more students from NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA than Morehouse or Spelman does. Theres even a large Atlanta population at Howard.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
From my perspective, Howard, Morehouse, and Spelman all have about the same amount of prestige as HBCU's. But we need to keep in mind that they are obviously different sorts of schools.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,250,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL, only in DC.

I kid (mostly), but I would put all three on the same plane of existence when it comes to prestige. None of the three are really higher or lower than the others in that regard. Trying to argue that would be like someone trying to argue which is more prestigious: Harvard or Yale.

One thing I would like to see return though is the old Morehouse/Howard Football rivalry. The young folks don't know about it, but that was once one of the biggest games of the year in HBCU world....to bad the 'House got stomped the last time we played Howard back in '97. We'll have our revenge one day...
Those games were legendary! Too bad the rivalry is gone. We had so much fun whether the game was in DC or traveling down to Atlanta. Also I really can not believe people are arguing about which one is more popular. Who cares!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Exactly Howard has way more students from NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA than Morehouse or Spelman does. Theres even a large Atlanta population at Howard.
What makes you think there aren't a lot of men from those states at the House?

I'll make it easy for you, there are....

Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
None of these schools want it with the Texas or Louisiana HBCUs when it comes to the bands. Morris Brown was definitely live, though.
I'll give you that. The SWAC bands typically kill every other HBCU band. There are exceptions though:

-That doesn't extend to Valley (ugh, have they every been good?) or Alcorn (they've fallen off BIG time)

-Norfolk, BCC (argh! BCU), FAMU, and VSU are just as deadly.

A few bands are back on the come up though. Howard's did a damn good job at the inauguration a few years ago and I've liked what I've seen from them lately. Also, the 'House just got back our director that we had back in the early 90s when we were at the top of our game last year. He marched at Southern AND Jackson and was Jackson's composer for a while back in the 80s. Good things are coming in the next few years.

But back to SWAC band dominance...I am just living for the day when the Jukebox and the Spartan Legion meet on the field for battle. It would easily be one of the most epic shows in the last 30 years. Too bad Norfolk is too far away from Baton Rouge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Honestly, Howard and Spelman are the only institutions I'd proudly send my child to. Morehouse? Eh..once upon a time, yes, but probably not now. It's not for every black man.
This is going to sound real snobby, but the bolded has always been the case with the 'House and is basically the whole purpose of the school. They just don't want any old dude who is going to slide by with C's just to get a degree. We only want the best of the best because the school's purpose is to train leaders who will excel in any field they choose to enter. To prepare the men for that fate, the school's curriculum is beyond tough, 70% of the professors and 100% of the department heads have terminal degrees, and nothing is ever made easy. Ever.

I've seen pretty epic freak outs during my time there and it is mostly not for every man. I remember one dude who was in my business calc class that transferred down from Harvard in his sophomore year because he though it would be easier. Half way through the semester I ran across him in the caf and he just staring blankly at a sheet of paper and some formulas. I asked what was wrong and he said "What the hell did I get myself into. This **** is harder than Harvard." Haha!

Long story short, please don't send your sons to Morehouse (or Spelman or Howard) unless they are ready to work hard and be leaders. If they want their college experience to be all about partying and chasing tail, then there are plenty of other schools for that. (Ok, so I chased tail all the time at Spelman and Clark and Mo Brown. BUT I WORKED HARD TOO! )

Old 06-04-2011, 12:01 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,851,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'll give you that. The SWAC bands typically kill every other HBCU band. There are exceptions though:

-That doesn't extend to Valley (ugh, have they every been good?) or Alcorn (they've fallen off BIG time)

-Norfolk, BCC (argh! BCU), FAMU, and VSU are just as deadly.

A few bands are back on the come up though. Howard's did a damn good job at the inauguration a few years ago and I've liked what I've seen from them lately. Also, the 'House just got back our director that we had back in the early 90s when we were at the top of our game last year. He marched at Southern AND Jackson and was Jackson's composer for a while back in the 80s. Good things are coming in the next few years.

But back to SWAC band dominance...I am just living for the day when the Jukebox and the Spartan Legion meet on the field for battle. It would easily be one of the most epic shows in the last 30 years. Too bad Norfolk is too far away from Baton Rouge.

This is going to sound real snobby, but the bolded has always been the case with the 'House and is basically the whole purpose of the school. They just don't want any old dude who is going to slide by with C's just to get a degree. We only want the best of the best because the school's purpose is to train leaders who will excel in any field they choose to enter. To prepare the men for that fate, the school's curriculum is beyond tough, 70% of the professors and 100% of the department heads have terminal degrees, and nothing is ever made easy. Ever.

I've seen pretty epic freak outs during my time there and it is mostly not for every man. I remember one dude who was in my business calc class that transferred down from Harvard in his sophomore year because he though it would be easier. Half way through the semester I ran across him in the caf and he just staring blankly at a sheet of paper and some formulas. I asked what was wrong and he said "What the hell did I get myself into. This **** is harder than Harvard." Haha!

Long story short, please don't send your sons to Morehouse (or Spelman or Howard) unless they are ready to work hard and be leaders. If they want their college experience to be all about partying and chasing tail, then there are plenty of other schools for that. (Ok, so I chased tail all the time at Spelman and Clark and Mo Brown. BUT I WORKED HARD TOO! )
All of this is true, but what I meant isn't necessarily concerning black men that can't "cut it".

It's a great school, but certain things about it simply don't sit right with me. I've had this conversation with several of my black male peers--one of whom had once dreamed of going to Morehouse--and while we conceded that we would've likely excelled there, it simply wasn't for us.

I said I wouldn't send my son there, but I take that back. If he were to decide that Morehouse is where he belonged, then I'd gladly let him attend.

Last edited by AlGreen; 06-04-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 01:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,309,672 times
This really comes down to Atlanta vs DC. Baltimore with Morgan State and Coppin State, IMO, doesn't equate to these two. Baltimore might easily be "outdone" by Raleigh-Durham, Piedmont Triad, New Orleans, Nashville, Houston, and Hampton Roads to name a few. While Howard is awesome Atlanta has more of a varity of HBCUs and has more in sheer numbers. Plus, Morehouse and Spelman are easily the top HBCUs in the nation. Too bad they're only liberal arts schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City