Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
. People from DC hate Baltimoreans and vice versa. . Baltimore and DC are about an hour and a fifteen minutes apart. San Francisco and Oakland are separated by a bridge and you can hop on the BART in SF and be in Oakland in ten minutes depending on where you are in SF.
Baltimore and DC are only 45 minutes apart and DC folks dont hate Baltimoreans they just dont think about them. Anyway I was at the gas station in Greenbelt,MD and see a work truck pull up with a Baltimore address. The guy walks up to my car and asks "How do you get to Maryland"?. I reply "Sir.................................you are in Maryland". So he says "Baltimore, Maryland". Even though I knew what he meant the fact that he automatically assumed that Maryland = Baltimore shows how we view each other. Ignorantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
One must pick a pair of neighboring cites that are fully independent of each other, yet vastly different in terms of size, wealth, culture, and IMO quality of life. Therefore I'll go with this answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
DFW have always had an uncomfortable relationship. One is viewed as cowtown and the other as snooty and uppity. They function as independent fully autonomous cities, yet share a lot of the same infrastructure. I see a number of similarities with the Balto-DC relationship.

ps - as a native Washingtonian, I take offense to the claim that we "hate" Baltimore. To the folks like me who grew up without a baseball team in DC, we rooted for the Orioles. We shlepped up 95 to Memorial Stadium, then Camden Yards to watch Cal, Eddie, Raffy, Moose, etc. We didn't fuss when the old Browns moved in and became the Ravens. We of course distanced ourselves from the town when "The Wire" showed Baltimore's ugliest side, but we laughed when people from other parts of the country thought the whole city was like that. Maybe some folks up there in Bawlmer hate DC because they have an inferiority complex? Maybe they're just ignorant?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
One must pick a pair of neighboring cites that are fully independent of each other, yet vastly different in terms of size, wealth, culture, and IMO quality of life. Therefore I'll go with this answer.

ps - as a native Washingtonian, I take offense to the claim that we "hate" Baltimore. To the folks like me who grew up without a baseball team in DC, we rooted for the Orioles. We shlepped up 95 to Memorial Stadium, then Camden Yards to watch Cal, Eddie, Raffy, Moose, etc. We didn't fuss when the old Browns moved in and became the Ravens. We of course distanced ourselves from the town when "The Wire" showed Baltimore's ugliest side, but we laughed when people from other parts of the country thought the whole city was like that. Maybe some folks up there in Bawlmer hate DC because they have an inferiority complex? Maybe they're just ignorant?

Right! People in DC do not hate Bmore. I can admit that we do look down on Bmore and call them bamas for their gear. From NE DC, you can get to DT Bmore in 35 minutes with no traffic.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
The dynamic between Baltimore and DC & SF and Oakland is similar. Like DC, San Francisco is the prettier, more gentrified wealthier hub of the world class city and Oakland, like Baltimore, carries the reputation of being the rougher more ghetto satellite city. However, just like DC, SF has its rough ghetto areas like any other city. Uniformed people think San Francisco has no crime and all of the crime and ghetto in the Bay Area is focused within Oakland; which is not true. The worst parts of San Francisco, like Hunter's Point, are historically statistically worse in every way than the worst parts of Oakland. However, the tremendous wealth in SF offsets the extreme poverty, violence and crime in the ghetto pockets of the city that aren't talked about in the national media. The differences between SF and Oakland are somewhat exaggerated by the media because SF wants as much tourist dollars as it can get and doesn't want people from outside the Bay to even visit Oakland. If SF and Oakland really were that adverse to one another, BART wouldn't even exist. Baltimore and DC also look completely different. In terms of housing, SF and Oakland do not look all the different in many areas. It is just that SF is much more dynamic because of its unique topography and that SF is much more urbanized than Oakland. However, SF and Oakland are somewhat more culturally unified than DC and Baltimore. The local music in DC and Baltimore is completely different. DC has Go-Go and Baltimore has Club music. Ghetto culture is pretty much the same in San Francisco and Oakland although the popular mid 2000's Bay Area Hyphy movement in Rap music was much more centered in the East Bay. People from DC hate Baltimoreans and vice versa. This is not always the case in SF and Oakland outside of sports. SF and Oakland have more of a Manhattan and Brooklyn relationship because they are so close geographically. After all, Bay Area locals call SF "The City" and they call Oakland "The Town" in the same breath. Baltimore and DC are about an hour and a fifteen minutes apart. San Francisco and Oakland are separated by a bridge and you can hop on the BART in SF and be in Oakland in ten minutes depending on where you are in SF.
What?? from the city line border to border is 35 mins, with no traffic. Now most def on a rush hr day it's longer, but its only 30 miles from Baltimore City to DC. Of course the suburbs merge into each other about 20 mins outside of each city.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
You can tell when you go from one area to another. Around laurel is where I notice the change.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
don't they have an acela between them. That would get you there in about 15 minutes.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You can tell when you go from one area to another. Around laurel is where I notice the change.
That's because D.C., is southern and Baltimore isnt

Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
I think SF - Sacramento more than SF/Oak or SF/SJ.

Oakland to SF is more like Brooklyn to Manhattan. Oakland is very much part of the SF Metro area.

San Jose is only roughly 40 minutes away from SF.

Sacramento is 1.5 hours away and has its own metro. It's also considered less desirable than its glamorous big sister, SF. I think there is a lot of similarity there with DC/Baltimore.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
That's because D.C., is southern and Baltimore isnt
DC didn't seem southern to me. I definitely different tho.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 AM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
The West Coast equivalent would be San Francisco (DC) and Sacramento (Baltimore)

Other I can think of Chicago-Milwaukee,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City