Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Eh, that doesn't look so bad. They don't even have alleyways, vacants, or abandoned warehouses they use can use for torture or to chop up bodies. Those guys wouldn't last an hour in Philly.

As Oschino Vasquez said, "These Philly streets turned us from Boyz II Men."

‪HKT Vs Douglas‬‏ - YouTube

‪Cops strikes woman and man for no reason on 7th and tioga‬‏ - YouTube

‪north philly fights‬‏ - YouTube
wow that showed the SF posters thats more "urban" than anything in San fran, it not a city without brawls, lol

Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, your just mad because all this time, you've been picking on our density when it turns out there are plenty of neighborhoods in Philadelphia, some, close to downtown in fact, that are actually quite pathetic when it comes to density and have about as much vibrancy as an old west ghost town. In that sense, Philadelphia is more on Oakland's level than it is on San Francisco's level.
Hmm. No vibrancy, huh? I guess a neighborhood is only vibrant when 97% of its residents have degrees from Cal Tech, Stanford and Berkeley, huh? Hipster clothing? Vibrancy! Hipster coffee shops? Vibrancy! Reading latest Malcolm Gladwell book at a sidewalk cafe with similar SES SWPLs? Vibrancy! I'd rather watch a gang of West Philly kids have a ball playing in a jet blast from a fire hydrant or playing "Buck Buck" than sitting at a cafe in San Francisco while drinking my chai with my pinky finger sticking out.

Here's something you won't find in San Francisco. The Block Party!!! And not some fake, generic version of an open air farmer's market fake block party organized by SWPLs.

From North, to South, to Mount Airy, to West Philly, from Cambodian to Puerto Rican...this is how we get down.

‪Khmer&Laoian block party# 16 End‬‏ - YouTube

‪Philly Block Party Battle‬‏ - YouTube

‪Philly block party.MOV‬‏ - YouTube

‪The Block Party‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Hmm. No vibrancy, huh? I guess a neighborhood is only vibrant when 97% of its residents have degrees from Cal Tech, Stanford and Berkeley, huh? Hipster clothing? Vibrancy! Hipster coffee shops? Vibrancy! Reading latest Malcolm Gladwell book at a sidewalk cafe with similar SES SWPLs? Vibrancy!

Here's something you won't find in San Francisco. The Block Party!!! And not some fake, generic version of an open air farmer's market fake block party organized by SWPLs.

From North, to South, to Mount Airy, to West Philly, from Cambodian to Puerto Rican...this is how we get down.

You bragging to me about Asians is like me bragging to you about Snow.

Furthermore, Manhattan has block parties like that? Not really.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
But for the record, i'd guess that Oakland's denser parts may give West Philly a run for it's money in urbanity, or come close to matching it at least. Having been to Philly and Oakland (never west Philly though), i really don't see that big a difference between Oakland's denser parts, and the areas i have seen in north and south philly. Central Oakland is pretty dense itself, but central Philly is more so, of course.
West Philly has over 240,000 people and a population density over 23,000 per square mile not including cobs creek and Fairmount park. South Philly has a population of about 170,000 and a population about 17,000 people per square mile and that IS including a huge oil refinery, our sporting complex, and a navy yard. West Philly's and South Philly's residential areas are extremely compact and dense and make Oakland residential areas look like a suburb. Oakland feels just as urban as a southern LA suburb/city such as Inglewood, Compton or long beach city. Oakland and the south cal cities that I mentioned are similar from a urban standpoint because they all have areas with relatively high densities of 10,000+ people per square mile but all of those 10,000 plus areas and the whole city lack an "urban feeling" (especially Oakland when compared to San Francisco, which definitely has a urban feeling).That means that density does not always equal urbanity (which has been said before in this thread).

Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You bragging to me about Asians is like me bragging to you about Snow.

Furthermore, Manhattan has block parties like that? Not really.
I'm not bragging to you about Asians. I'm showing you something that is authentically Philadelphia. Blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, the poor, and the rich all have block parties here. It's about as normal as going out to shoot fireworks on the 4th. Except the block party is bigger and the whole entire neighborhood chips in on food, drinks and decorations. That's something called community, which is an alien concept to many in San Francisco, I'm sure. I didn't even look for any videos of the first day of Spring when neighborhood kids ruuuuunnnn to Rita's for free Italian ice. No vibrancy? You are funny.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I'm not bragging to you about Asians. I'm showing you something that is authentically Philadelphia. Blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, the poor, and the rich all have block parties here. It's about as normal as going out to shoot fireworks on the 4th. Except the block party is bigger and the whole entire neighborhood chips in on food, drinks and decorations. That's something called community, which is an alien concept to many in San Francisco, I'm sure. I didn't even look for any videos of the first day of Spring when neighborhood kids ruuuuunnnn to Rita's for free Italian ice. No vibrancy? You are funny.
Philly is very urban, but it seems like you're setting Philly's version of urbanity as the only real definition of urbanity without considering broader definitions of it.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Eh, that doesn't look so bad. They don't even have alleyways, vacants, or abandoned warehouses they use can use for torture or to chop up bodies. Those guys wouldn't last an hour in Philly.

As Oschino Vasquez said, "These Philly streets turned us from Boyz II Men."

‪HKT Vs Douglas‬‏ - YouTube

‪Cops strikes woman and man for no reason on 7th and tioga‬‏ - YouTube

‪north philly fights‬‏ - YouTube
Oh, so fight videos are how we gauge urbanity now? Talk about grasping at straws...I can show you tons of those from SF too, such as:

There are many more where those came from, and I didn't even get to the rest of the bay area yet.

Do videos of shootings count towards urbanity too? Because i can show you some graphic examples of those from SF as well. Talk about lame...when they can't beat us with facts, the lame northeast boosters (just the lame ones, most of you are fine) resort to the "MY CITY IS TOUGHER THAN YOUR CITY" argument. And they can't even definitively win that one, even though Philly is "supposed" to be extra tough, and SF is "supposed" to be extra soft or something.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM

170 posts, read 399,238 times
Quote:
Hmm. No vibrancy, huh? I guess a neighborhood is only vibrant when 97% of its residents have degrees from Cal Tech, Stanford and Berkeley, huh? Hipster clothing? Vibrancy! Hipster coffee shops? Vibrancy! Reading latest Malcolm Gladwell book at a sidewalk cafe with similar SES SWPLs? Vibrancy! I'd rather watch a gang of West Philly kids have a ball playing in a jet blast from a fire hydrant or playing "Buck Buck" than sitting at a cafe in San Francisco while drinking my chai with my pinky finger sticking out.

And this is how you guys get down as well...

26 Asian Students Attacked at Philly High School | NBC Philadelphia

Attacked Asian Students Afraid To Go to School | NBC Philadelphia

Bullying against Asian students roils Philadelphia high school - USATODAY.com

Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
rah......you've posted some great great pix. You didnt need to stoop^^

Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF has higher public transit usage (barely, but it does)

In light of all that, I fail to see how you could consider Philly as "more" urban than SF. Also, i don't exactly consider SF to be more urban than Philly...but if you want to compare, those are the facts.
How many times do I have to explain this away? Bay area has no real subway, no el. No light rail outside of the city limits, if you even call cable cars light rail. All it really has is a glorified commuter rail with Bart, and that low-budget amtrack called caltrans. Go ahead tell us about buses. And as far as the higher percentage goes, when considering the area actually covered by Septa/Patco which is about the same size as the Bart covered SF metro at just under 4mil, Philly wins easily. Something like 70 percent of downtown office workers use PT in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City