Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

What is everybody's opinion on this? Does the Southwestern United States encompass Southern California?

On appearances alone, Southern California is decidedly Southwestern. The Spanish architecture, auto-centric lifestyle, and geographical features are far more reminiscent of Phoenix than San Francisco. The real difference SoCal has from the Southwest is the culture, which is dominated by the cosmopolitan prominence of Los Angeles. However, I think the culture is still quite different from that of the Bay Area or Seattle especially in suburban Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego. Maybe California, like Texas, is a state that encompasses multiple regions, SoCal going with the Southwest and NorCal going with the Pacific Northwest?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default No..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What is everybody's opinion on this? Does the Southwestern United States encompass Southern California?

On appearances alone, Southern California is decidedly Southwestern. The Spanish architecture, auto-centric lifestyle, and geographical features are far more reminiscent of Phoenix than San Francisco. The real difference SoCal has from the Southwest is the culture, which is dominated by the cosmopolitan prominence of Los Angeles. However, I think the culture is still quite different from that of the Bay Area or Seattle especially in suburban Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego. Maybe California, like Texas, is a state that encompasses multiple regions, SoCal going with the Southwest and NorCal going with the Pacific Northwest?
No the southwestern states are Texas , Oklahoma , New Mexico
and Arizona , the state of California is in the West Coast region.
The states of Oregon and Washington aren't in the Mountain
States Region either , but the Pacific Northwestern Region 'just
another example" to share with you is Las Veges it's considers
itself as in the (West Coast Region or area) and not the Southwest
or the Mountain States Region with States such as Colorado , Utah
, Idaho.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No the southwestern states are Texas , Oklahoma , New Mexico
and Arizona , the state of California is in the West Coast region.
According to the strictest definition, the Southwest solely consists of Arizona and New Mexico. Texas and Oklahoma are in the South. Multiple classifications are considered possible; Southern California might be considered as part of the West Coast and the Southwest. The broad definition of the "Greater Southwest" includes Sonora and Chihuahua, but that is generally a matter of Indian ethnology, so it would likely not be useful for our purposes.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:

Southern Ca and Northern Ca have a lot more common with each other than they do the with the Southwest or PNW. I see some people try to lump Northern Ca with the PNW and Southern CA with the Southwest but they are more alike each other than other regions outside the state. Even with geographical features, SoCal is more like NorCal. Which makes sense given the climate of Southern CA is closest to Northern Ca than anywhere else outside the deserts.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Southern Ca and Northern Ca have a lot more common with each other than they do the with the Southwest or PNW. I see some people try to lump Northern Ca with the PNW and Southern CA with the Southwest but they are more alike each other than other regions outside the state. Even with geographical features, SoCal is more like NorCal. Which makes sense given the climate of Southern CA is closest to Northern Ca than anywhere else outside the deserts.
I have never been to the Bay Area but I lived in LA county in the early '90s. I will agree So Cal has a different feel especially near the coast, but there are also quite a bit of similarities with the Southwest that increase dramatically the further inland you go as well as in San Diego. I would agree Los Angeles itself (with the exception of the San Fernando Valley) has an entirely different feel and vibe despite the architectural similarities. The Valley has a very Phoenix-esque feel, at least from my memory.

As far as Vegas, outside of the tourist areas its a very Southwestern city, even moreso than Southern California.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Southwest is AZ and NM. California is it's own region.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
Quote:
The Valley has a very Phoenix-esque feel, at least from my memory.
I would say it is the other way around. Phoenix has a very San Fernando Valley feel to it.

Phoenix and Vegas have SoCal attributes to them. But the Bay Area and LA are ever more similar. For instance, Long Beach and Oakland are similar. South Orange County and the outer East Bay are similar. Parts of the LA basin and San Gabriel Valley/SFV are similar to San Jose/South Bay Area. These similarities are true with regards to geography/weather/ethnic diversity.

Last edited by vdy1985; 03-31-2011 at 05:27 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
San Francisco is not wholly representative of Northern California. Both halves of the state are more like each other than anything.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Yes. Next question...

Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Yes. Next question...
Thanks for setting us straight on California matters, Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City