Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Charlotte
Minneapolis 79 69.91%
Charlotte 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Nothing. As the other poster just pointed out, you shouldn't visit Charlotte unless you want to live there for its liveability. This translates to practical, but not necessarily exciting/unique IMO...hence it not being a place for tourism.
I'd say, by and large, that is also true with Minneapolis. It's not really touristy, per se, but rather it's a place to live and raise a family (right, IMO). The two cities are similar in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Nothing. As the other poster just pointed out, you shouldn't visit Charlotte unless you want to live there for its liveability. This translates to practical, but not necessarily exciting/unique IMO...hence it not being a place for tourism.
Okay. Fine. Whatever.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well I didn't exactly say that he shouldn't visit Charlotte unless he wants to live there. Charlotte gets most of its visitors via special events and I said perhaps in the future, something will be going on in the city that might entice him to visit.
True. Hopefully, I get the chance to visit in the future.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'd say, by and large, that is also true with Minneapolis. It's not really touristy, per se, but rather it's a place to live and raise a family (right, IMO). The two cities are similar in this regard.
I agree with this. Minneapolis just feels more established IMO. Charlotte still feels like a very young city (and is); I'm curious to see what it's like in 20 years.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Minneapolis isn't very touristy, that is true, but I think that has more to do with it's more isolated location whereas Charlotte isn't very touristy because there is very little to do or see there that can't be done in every other major city.

When I was in Charlotte, most locals recommended I spend 1 or 2 days in Charlotte and suggested I spend the rest of my time in Charleston and/or Asheville. I stayed for 2 days, and that was more than enough time to see and do everything unique to Charlotte. I spent a full week in Minneapolis, and I was plenty occupied with things to do all week.

Minneapolis may not be a tourist hot spot, but it offers tourists a lot to do and see.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
LMAO at the people giving Minneapolis the edge in diversity; obviously they’re not talking about racial diversity….

Minneapolis City
White 70%
Black 17%
Asian 5%
Hispanic 9%

Charlotte City
White 56%
Black 33%
Asian 4%
Hispanic 11%

Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro
White 80%
Black 7%
Asian 5%
Hispanic 5%

Charlotte Metro
White 65%
Black 24%
Asian 3%
Hispanic 9%

Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Minneapolis isn't very touristy, that is true, but I think that has more to do with it's more isolated location whereas Charlotte isn't very touristy because there is very little to do or see there that can't be done in every other major city.

When I was in Charlotte, most locals recommended I spend 1 or 2 days in Charlotte and suggested I spend the rest of my time in Charleston and/or Asheville. I stayed for 2 days, and that was more than enough time to see and do everything unique to Charlotte. I spent a full week in Minneapolis, and I was plenty occupied with things to do all week.
I can see that, but I will say that Charlotte has been adding more things to its palette in recent years for both locals and visitors alike (Nat'l Whitewater Center, NASCAR HOF, new cultural venues, etc.). They aren't necessarily unique to Charlotte, but it does help to provide more options for visitors.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:05 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
LMAO at the people giving Minneapolis the edge in diversity; obviously they’re not talking about racial diversity….

Minneapolis City
White 70%
Black 17%
Asian 5%
Hispanic 9%

Charlotte City
White 56%
Black 33%
Asian 4%
Hispanic 11%

White 80%
Black 7%
Asian 5%
Hispanic 5%

Charlotte Metro
White 65%
Black 24%
Asian 3%
Hispanic 9%
That's because relatively MSP has more ethnic diversity. There are large representations of East African, Hmong, Indian, Hispanic, and even Native populations. Coming from the southeast I was actually quite surprised with the amount of diversity that was in the area. It didn't feel like a typical Midwestern, hell or even American city.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post

Minneapolis City
White 70%
Black 17%
Asian 5%
Hispanic 9%

Charlotte City
White 56%
Black 33%
Asian 4%
Hispanic 11%

White 80%
Black 7%
Asian 5%
Hispanic 5%

Charlotte Metro
White 65%
Black 24%
Asian 3%
Hispanic 9%
LMAO. Are you serious? The MPLS - STPL area has the largest Somali, Hmong, Oromo (Ethiopian), Liberian, Karen (Burmese) and Anuak (Ethiopian/Sudanese) populations in the U.S., and is home to the second largest Tibetan population.

Anyway, diversity isn't only about race my friend. I can go on and on about the diversity that these two areas offer and the Minneapolis area easily surpasses Charlotte (i.e. foreign-born population, GLBT population, neighborhoods, food, music, etc...). Again, the Minneapolis area trumps the Charlotte area in regards to diversity.

Last edited by BlackOut; 09-16-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LMAO. Are you serious? The MPLS - STPL area has the largest Somali, Hmong, Oromo (Ethiopian), Liberian, Karen (Burmese) and Anuak (Ethiopian/Sudanese) populations in the U.S., and is home to the second largest Tibetan population.

Anyway, diversity isn't only about race my friend. I can go on and on about the diversity that these two areas offer and the Minneapolis area easily surpasses Charlotte (i.e. foreign-born population, GLBT population, neighborhoods, food, music, etc...). Again, the Minneapolis area trumps the Charlotte area in regards to diversity.
no it doesn't. Charlotte is more diverse and is definitely more integrated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City