Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You are missing the point. It's still the second busiest behind Penn Station.

for Amtrak yes, as a station no, its actually fourth as NY Penn, Grand Central (These two demolish Union or 30th street), and 30th Street (a little ahead of Union on the whole) all handle more total passengers per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
They've been singing this song for decades and it hasn't happened yet. Too many Congressional types have their hands in the cookie jar. Money talks.

ahh to be young. I think neither you or MD actually experienced DC when the fed is really cutting, or actually not growing. Trust me the Govt is already way overspent. flat to down is the direction. Dont worry its cyclical. DC the metro usually lags the national trend actually. I dont think it will be cut dry though, just flat. Flat means less demand etc. blah blah blah

and eventually voters and economy and deficit talk too

Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually no, I praise DC often. Sterile, yes to me in parts. There are aspects of Philly I like better than DC and aspects of DC I like better than Philly. Now CC to me is a preferred environment. Many nabes outside the DC DT would be preferred to their counterparts in Philly.

On it wont happen. I dont buy the longer term projections for DC development and some to me are less organic (we differ on this as a like/dislike) but on the future, not I dont see the DC economy with a slowed or reduced govt spend maintaining demand. Again to you this is somehow percieved as a dislike of DC, to me it is common sense.
I actually only remember you beginning to praise DC when DC's Finest and myself started to really point out your hatred for DC. There were a couple threads that got real bad and I specifically remember your tune changing shortly after that. I didn't say anything when I would read your posts after that but it was noted. You aren't as critical of DC as you were a couple months ago but the memory is still there. We can disagree about the redevelopment of DC because neither of us have anything to do with that. We have no power over that. I didn't like how you were so negative with everything and anything happening in DC. It read as jealousy honestly. You specifically said it made you sick seeing the development too. Ring a bell? What else would that mean? You were happy for us? Come on man.....

Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I actually only remember you beginning to praise DC when DC's Finest and myself started to really point out your hatred for DC. There were a couple threads that got real bad and I specifically remember your tune changing shortly after that. I didn't say anything when I would read your posts after that but it was noted. You aren't as critical of DC as you were a couple months ago but the memory is still there. We can disagree about the redevelopment of DC because neither of us have anything to do with that. We have no power over that. I didn't like how you were so negative with everything and anything happening in DC. It read as jealousy honestly. You specifically said it made you sick seeing the development too. Ring a bell? What else would that mean? You were happy for us? Come on man.....

Yes on govt spend, no on the area. For any individual benefitiing great, I am just peronally tired of funding it with future dollars I have to pay for. You confuse this, it isnt personal at all.

We disgaree n the vibrancy of some developments so be it, on the whole they are a plus. We also disagree on the sustainability of the current or recent build levels. I lived in DC and choose to move out, that said I like and enjoy DC. I dont buy the projections and personally find some of the development to be not in the best interest of the american taxpayer, you are free to differ in that opinion

Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
ahh to be young. I think neither you or MD actually experienced DC when the fed is really cutting, or actually not growing. Trust me the Govt is already way overspent. flat to down is the direction. Dont worry its cyclical. DC the metro usually lags the national trend actually. I dont think it will be cut dry though, just flat. Flat means less demand etc. blah blah blah

and eventually voters and economy and deficit talk too
You do realize that DC proper is only growing becuase of Mayor Anthony Williams and his amazing leadership to help the city? Make no mistake about it, had Mayor Barry won in 1997, DC would not be where it is today. It would still be a wasteland. The leadership of Mayor Williams made DC a good place to live again, growth in the region has nothing to do with growth of the city proper. Look at Atlanta? Sometimes, I wonder if you are serious or if you really just don't understand what DC was. What year's did you live in DC proper? And where did you live in DC proper? From how you talk, it's very clear you were not around DC in the 1990's or early 2000's.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You do realize that DC proper is only growing becuase of Mayor Anthony Williams and his amazing leadership to help the city? Make no mistake about it, had Mayor Barry won in 1997, DC would not be where it is today. It would still be a wasteland. The leadership of Mayor Williams made DC a good place to live again, growth in the region has nothing to do with growth of the city proper. Look at Atlanta? Sometimes, I wonder if you are serious or if you really just don't understand what DC was. What year's did you live in DC proper? And where did you live in DC proper? From how you talk, it's very clear you were not around DC in the 1990's or early 2000's.
end of the 90s to early 2000s Greenbelt (awful), Reston, then basically Woodley Park.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yes on govt spend, no on the area. For any individual benefitiing great, I am just peronally tired of funding it with future dollars I have to pay for. You confuse this, it isnt personal at all.

We disgaree n the vibrancy of some developments so be it, on the whole they are a plus. We also disagree on the sustainability of the current or recent build levels. I lived in DC and choose to move out, that said I like and enjoy DC. I dont buy the projections and personally find some of the development to be not in the best interest of the american taxpayer, you are free to differ in that opinion
You do realize that it is personal right? How can it not be? Explain how what happens in DC doesn't affect its citizens? If it makes you sick that buildings are going up in DC because of government spending, then it is personal because someone is going to live in those buildings. How exactly do you think you would explain to those residents that it makes you sick the building they live in was built? The same connection you make from government spending driving private development in DC is the exact same connection that makes it personal because you’re saying you have a problem with their (DC residents) home because of how it was financed which makes it personal.

You can't separate the two. That's why it's personal even though you try to paint it different than it really is. It's like talking about someone's hometown really bad, but saying this has nothing to do with you personally to a local resident, it's just my experience there and expecting them not to still get offended.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
end of the 90s to early 2000s Greenbelt (awful), Reston, then basically Woodley Park.
What year did you live in Woodley Park? I thought you said you lived on U street? I'm guessing you didn't live or venture anywhere near U Street during that time. I never saw any white people on U street so that would make sense.

Also, out of all that I wrote, this was your only response?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
You do realize that it is personal right? How can it not be? Explain how what happens in DC doesn't affect its citizens? If it makes you sick that buildings are going up in DC because of government spending, then it is personal because someone is going to live in those buildings. How exactly do you think you would explain to those residents that it makes you sick the building they live in was built? The same connection you make from government spending driving private development in DC is the exact same connection that makes it personal because you’re saying you have a problem with their (DC residents) home because of how it was financed which makes it personal.

You can't separate the two. That's why it's personal even though you try to paint it different than it really is. It's like talking about someone's hometown really bad, but saying this has nothing to do with you personally to a local resident, it's just my experience there and expecting them not to still get offended.

I think the residential is good for the city. I am bothered by increased govt spend on jobs and contractors, not the people nor the housing stock

Because I dont believe the govt subsidized growth can continue in its current incarnation isnt persoanl at all. You seem to take it personal when I suggest I am suspect of the growth in the current rate continuing.

The flip side is you being surprised that the bounty DC and its economy experienced during the economic downtourn does not bother some folks, if you want to reap the rewards (of big Govt spend) you also have to reap the citicism, again this is fairly simple and to me not personal to any individual.

On jealousy, actually I will disagree on the main premis, to me it more an annoyance that i am subsizing it. Why would I be unhappy for an individual with a good job? I am unhappy that the govt decides to use money to create jobs it cant pay for

Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I think the residential is good for the city. I am bothered by increased govt spend on jobs and contractors, not the people nor the housing stock

Because I dont believe the govt subsidized growth can continue in its current incarnation isnt persoanl at all. You seem to take it personal when I suggest I am suspect of the growth in the current rate continuing.

The flip side is you being surprised that the bounty DC and its economy experienced during the economic downtourn does not bother some folks, if you want to reap the rewards (of big Govt spend) you also have to reap the citicism, again this is fairly simple and to me not personal to any individual.

On jealousy, actually I will disagree on the main premis, to me it more an annoyance that i am subsizing it. Why would I be unhappy for an individual with a good job? I am unhappy that the govt decides to use money to create jobs it cant pay for
Well, you can blame the wars all the republican states wanted to start for that. This country doesn't make money if it's not at war becuase we have a war driven economy. Pretty sad isn't it? The republican's got rich off these wars over the last decade and DC being the nation's capital benefited. I think what is puzzling to me is the fact that nobody gave two &*%$ outside of people in DC what the state of the city was as the suburbs around it prospered for decades. Now DC is getting a peice of the pie Maryland and Virginia have recieved for the last 40 years and everyone has a problem with it. Either way, I think what you said goes a little deeper. I think your competitive nature comes out a little more because I beleive you see DC as a threat to CC. I think you are upset about where DC is headed versus Philadelphia and you wish Philadelphia had the same type of investment. It makes it even worse when that investment is driven by government spending.

DC is on the verge of being a completely different city which is saying something considering it is already one of the best urban cities in America. From an urban perspective, I think DC has way more upside becuase of the difference in development potential in DC versus Philly. DC will change through construction. Philly will change through renovation and rehabbing. DC has the potential to change the feel of urbanity in the city. Philadelphia is already built out much like Baltimore with thousands of rowhouses. Growth will come from rehabbing the vacant housing everywhere. DC's growth will come from redevelopment since DC has way more developable land than Philadelphia and not many vacant houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City