Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 09:04 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
I'm pretty sure all the large city stations on the NEC have big plans underway. Here's the one in Philly:

https://www.som.com/projects/philade..._district_plan
likelihood that comes to full fruition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 09:15 AM

188 posts, read 127,447 times
But you can ask the same question about any one of these large scale city plans until it's done. I doubt it will be exactly as depicted, but things are happening. If the momentum continues then we'll be seeing at least a version.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
But you can ask the same question about any one of these large scale city plans until it's done. I doubt it will be exactly as depicted, but things are happening. If the momentum continues then we'll be seeing at least a version.
Hopefully Philly's does.

Boston's SS project is underway now, and I guess we will find out if the 3 million square foot projects will benefit it or not lol

Old 04-17-2021, 09:23 AM

188 posts, read 127,447 times
I think it's great that south station project is underway; it was a long time coming. I'm pretty sure I read about it 15 years ago, maybe more. The 30th street district plan was announced a few years ago, so I'm willing to wait.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:10 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It's 1.9 million square feet of completed development which is a little less as the one that is still down in the pipeline in DC.

When the DC one is finished in about 5-10 years we will see the magnitude it has on the area. But for now, we cannot speculate since every major project in every major city gets VE'd. Visions are great, but when the shovel hits the ground then only would be fair to compare. IIRC, the development in DC just last month went under a huge revision back to the drawing to remove car-centric, and mediate taffic concerns. Its far from a solid plan. In 2016 before the shovel hit the ground for Hub On Causeway, it was 2.75 million square feet before finally getting trimmed to what it is now. Only about 525 feet tall, but the ground level is impeccable.
Burnham Place will be around 4 million sq. feet of development. They aren’t really similar. Their footprints are substantially different. Burnham Place in DC will be a neighborhood with multiple blocks. What exists in Boston is very nice, but not comparable in size.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Burnham Place will be around 4 million sq. feet of development. They aren’t really similar. Their footprints are substantially different. Burnham Place in DC will be a neighborhood with multiple blocks. What exists in Boston is very nice, but not comparable in size.
Oh neighborhood. Im talking cheifly on top/inside the train station. Not around it.

But if we open that door, still, Again hard to say at all. Its not even approved at the current design. Il check back in 5 years from now, but for now, I have to, unfortunately, void it off. The previous design looks nice though!

Old 04-17-2021, 10:44 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Oh neighborhood. Im talking cheifly on top/inside the train station. Not around it.

But if we open that door, still, Again hard to say at all. Its not even approved at the current design. Il check back in 5 years from now, but for now, I have to, unfortunately, void it off. The previous design looks nice though!
Correct, the deck hasn’t been built which will hold the neighborhood. The entire development is being built on currently exposed tracks. On a side note, everything the DC government wants built in DC proper gets built. If the city prioritized it, it will be built eventually. DC controls everything related to development within its borders.

Union Station, NYC Penn Station, and Grand Central station are in a completely different class within their stations so that’s not even up for debate.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:20 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Union Staion in DC is just a bigger nicer South Station in Boston. If Boston had a union station and not a North and South , it would be equivalent to DC’s union station.

I think saying South Station is better than North Station isn't defacto wrong because don't even know what technically is north station or what it looks like, it's just a big mix of things. Feels like part subway stop, part td garden, part indoor, part outdoor. I don't don't know technically is north station at this point.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Union Staion in DC is just a bigger nicer South Station in Boston. If Boston had a union station and not a North and South , it would be equivalent to DC’s union station.

I think saying South Station is better than North Station isn't defacto wrong because don't even know what technically is north station or what it looks like, it's just a big mix of things. Feels like part subway stop, part td garden, part indoor, part outdoor. I don't don't know technically is north station at this point.
North Station has an identity crisis. That is very true.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:39 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure all the large city stations on the NEC have big plans underway. Here's the one in Philly:

https://www.som.com/projects/philade..._district_plan
I didn't know Skidmore, Owings & Merrill was in on the 30th Street Station district plan.

Brandywine Realty Trust, the commercial developer who will ultimately be responsible for making much of what you see in that rendering a reality, is already on the way towards producing the first new building in its development, Schuylkill Yards. Brandywine has its own master architect in charge of its development (here's what I wrote about it when the formal announcement was made in 2016).

The interesting thing is, at least conceptually, what SOM envisions and what Brandywine envisions via SHoP Architects doesn't differ all that much. The big difference is, the 30th Street Station District encompasses a larger territory than Schuylkill Yards does: I believe the ultimate goal is still to develop the air rights over Amtrak/SEPTA's Powelton Yard, immediately to the northwest of the station and to the north of Brandywine's Schuylkill Yards project.

The end result at buildout will be a second downtown for Philadelphia, one that links the original downtown with the universities to its west. I'm definitely looking forward to its evolution. It's gonna be huge.

massachoicetts: of course, a project of this scope could fail to be fully realized. But Brandywine is in this for the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City