Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 11:29 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times

Advertisements

Apparently if you live in NO there is just a huge drinking culture and it's like one big party. I think people who have visited and haven't lived there are missing what is so special about living there. At least, that's what people I know that have lived there have told me. As far as nightlife goes, what city in the south do you think is better or stacks up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 11:30 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I'm surprised to see Nashville so low in the poll. I don't know much about Nashville, but I do hear that nightlife is supposed to be their thing.
There's a tacky touristy strip on Broadway that has some bars and stuff. Aside from that, it's decent at best. At least that's been my experience with it.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:03 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Apparently if you live in NO there is just a huge drinking culture and it's like one big party. I think people who have visited and haven't lived there are missing what is so special about living there. At least, that's what people I know that have lived there have told me. As far as nightlife goes, what city in the south do you think is better or stacks up?
Louisiana does have a different culture than the rest of the south and that shows in the partying. That doesn't make it the best for me. I think that Atlanta has more variety and much more and better nightlife overall. I can only suspect that would be true for other big cities like Dallas and Houston.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:05 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
There's a tacky touristy strip on Broadway that has some bars and stuff. Aside from that, it's decent at best. At least that's been my experience with it.
I think that it's long been a destination for country music fans, but I remember being blown away when it was portrayed as a great getaway destination on Master of None. I had no idea that it was thought of like that.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:24 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I've had fun partying it up in Nashvegas! I especially enjoyed all of the dueling piano bars they have over there.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:36 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times
Quote:
I already live in San Antonio. While it's fun, I think I could find somewhere more fun. The places I've thought about are New Orleans, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, or Atlanta. Maybe DC too (Which, I know, is not technically the south).

New Orleans scares me. Nashville, DC, and Atlanta are pretty far from home, although maybe that wouldn't be bad for a few years. Out of Austin, Dallas, and Houston I think I'd rather live in Dallas or Houston due to better job opportunities and cost of living but the partying in Austin has quite the reputation.

Which is the best in Texas for people 25-30? I get that Austin may be better for 18-24 but what about mid-late 20s?
Austin, Dallas, and Houston will all be great for any age or relationship status. Houston has great nightlife overall. It is very comparable to Atlanta on a smaller scale. Outside of the French Quarter, New Orleans isn't great. Dallas has average nightlife and really isn't anything to write home about. Although Deep Ellum is really starting to stand out. Dallas also has my favorite strip club I have ever been to, lol.

Austin is great for every age. Dirty 6th isn't the only place for nightlife. There is West 6th, East 6th, 4th for LGBTQ, Rainey, the rest of the bars scattered across downtown, Red River, SoCo, Rock Rose at The Domain, and to a lesser extent the E. Riverside area. All of these areas are great for all other ages and have a high concentration of nightlife, especially for 25+. Personally, I am 30 and I frequent West 6th, Rainey, and Rock Rose.

It depends what job field you are in. There is no better place than Austin for tech, government, real estate, or construction, and it just has a strong job market in general. Dallas and Houston have great all around job markets as well, with Dallas specializing in distribution and finance and Houston in the energy and oil/ gas market.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
NOLA should have been excluded also.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:11 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NOLA should have been excluded also.
Agreed.
After NOLA and Atlanta, it's kind of a blur... Houston, Dallas, Nashville and Orlando all have things going for them -- the latter two definitely boosted by robust tourist districts.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Austin, Dallas, and Houston will all be great for any age or relationship status. Houston has great nightlife overall. It is very comparable to Atlanta on a smaller scale. Outside of the French Quarter, New Orleans isn't great. Dallas has average nightlife and really isn't anything to write home about. Although Deep Ellum is really starting to stand out. Dallas also has my favorite strip club I have ever been to, lol.

Austin is great for every age. Dirty 6th isn't the only place for nightlife. There is West 6th, East 6th, 4th for LGBTQ, Rainey, the rest of the bars scattered across downtown, Red River, SoCo, Rock Rose at The Domain, and to a lesser extent the E. Riverside area. All of these areas are great for all other ages and have a high concentration of nightlife, especially for 25+. Personally, I am 30 and I frequent West 6th, Rainey, and Rock Rose.

It depends what job field you are in. There is no better place than Austin for tech, government, real estate, or construction, and it just has a strong job market in general. Dallas and Houston have great all around job markets as well, with Dallas specializing in distribution and finance and Houston in the energy and oil/ gas market.
How much time have you spent in the LGD, Irish Channel Freret, Mid-City, Bywater, and Marigny?

Old 11-13-2020, 10:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
There's this huge misconception that the Quarter is the only place for nightlife worthy for tourists. Miami easily stacks up or beats Nola. Atlanta probably stacks up but you won't get the unique experience New Orleans offers anywhere in the country, much less the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City