Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Look, I have no need to make people "like Atlanta". I like it here and that's all that matters to me. However seeing this is where I live and take a lot of interest and pride in this city rather than rolling with the C-D meme that it's a drab "suburban style city" I feel obligated to counter the claims that were made. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you that isn't my problem.
Understandable. Atlanta is certainly not drab.
No, I would not step foot in a hip hop club or strip club. I am just curious, and I did say "upscale" ones. Supposedly Atlanta also has good LGBT nightlife. I am not into the hip hop or the gay scene, and by what people are saying, those seem to be the strong points for Atlanta. I like bars/live music and your occasional club spinning good house music. I am just curious if that is what is bringing up Atlantas nightlife. I have been to other bars and have been out in Buckhead, Midtown, East Atlanta, Decatur, L5P, Cabbagetown and Virginia Highlands on numerous occasions. These places are fairly underwhelming, especially when you have New Orleans in this poll. It would be nice if there was nightlife in DT area, but it's dead and the few places down there or anywhere near it a visitor might be able to walk 10-15 minutes to are kitsch chains I would never patronize, which definitely sucks as a visitor.
Atlanta is definitely not drab, but it is definitely a suburban style city for the most part besides a few areas, and all of the nightlife is in suburban style areas.
I would not go to strip clubs in New Orleans or Miami either btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
People are shot everywhere. And no, you don't have to watch your back if you stay where you're supposed to be. I wouldn't be wandering around East New York because I don't know the streets. Common sense.
2 Cops Among 67 Shot in Weekend Violence; Teen and 56-Year-Old Bystander Killed | NBC New York

67 people shot but you never mention NYC.
NY is not located in the south. Therefore, should not be mentioned in this thread.

However, NOLA is. The crime rate is off the charts and through the roof, facts prove it. The crime in NOLA should definately be factored in when walking those dangerous streets to party.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
NY is not located in the south. Therefore, should not be mentioned in this thread.

However, NOLA is. The crime rate is off the charts and through the roof, facts prove it. The crime in NOLA should definately be factored in when walking those dangerous streets to party.
Yep.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:

And? If this was about the entire US you would still disregard those facts.

New Orleans crime is not off the charts. I don't know how many times I have to tell you.

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance

Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Here is NOLA front and center with their thugged out culture.

16 Shot, 2 Fatally, On Halloween In New Orleans
Well, that's not what I would call bland. As you implied NO was in the previous post.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Just one question: how is it that strip clubs are included in a discussion about night life, especially since most of these places are open in the daylight? There's only a small fraction of the general population who is even willing to patronize these establishments.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
And? If this was about the entire US you would still disregard those facts.

New Orleans crime is not off the charts. I don't know how many times I have to tell you.

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance
I don't no, NO is pretty bad.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM

396 posts, read 601,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Understandable. Atlanta is certainly not drab.
No, I would not step foot in a hip hop club or strip club. I am just curious, and I did say "upscale" ones. Supposedly Atlanta also has good LGBT nightlife. I am not into the hip hop or the gay scene, and by what people are saying, those seem to be the strong points for Atlanta. I like bars/live music and your occasional club spinning good house music. I am just curious if that is what is bringing up Atlantas nightlife. I have been to other bars and have been out in Buckhead, Midtown, East Atlanta, Decatur, L5P, Cabbagetown and Virginia Highlands on numerous occasions. These places are fairly underwhelming, especially when you have New Orleans in this poll. It would be nice if there was nightlife in DT area, but it's dead and the few places down there or anywhere near it a visitor might be able to walk 10-15 minutes to are kitsch chains I would never patronize, which definitely sucks as a visitor.
Atlanta is definitely not drab, but it is definitely a suburban style city for the most part besides a few areas, and all of the nightlife is in suburban style areas.
I would not go to strip clubs in New Orleans or Miami either btw.
as far as electronic goes, you'll hear a good mix of it at least half of the time (or more) at the following clubs:

midtown:
opera (this generally picks up all the big name dj's - bt, digweed, etc)
halo (lounge with a dance floor)
sutra
quad (exclusively electronic)
mjq concourse
aurum lounge (http://aurumlounge.com/event-calendar/ - broken link)
the masquerade (venue with multiple levels, and usually at least one is hosting some sort of dj spinning something electronic)

n of midtown, s of buckhead:
jungle
tongue and groove

downtown:
the mark
sound table

there are plenty of other smaller clubs scattered in some of the other districts (westside, EAV, etc) and i have specifically left out gay clubs which 99% of the time are playing electronic music. no way in hell is atlanta only a hip hop city.

Quote:
and all of the nightlife is in suburban style areas.
nah, you're off on this assessment.

Last edited by cabasse; 11-09-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Just one question: how is it that strip clubs are included in a discussion about night life, especially since most of these places are open in the daylight?
Yeah, but have you ever seen daytime strippers? You want to see the pro caliber team, you got to go a little later. You go to a strip club a 2 PM in the afternoon on a Tuesday--man, lemme tell you, you can't unsee that sort of thing.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
New Orleans had a murder rate of 49 per 100,000 people in 2010. Which happens to be the highest for larger cities in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City